Looking at changing my Anchor rope as when i bought the

boat it has only got 30m on it.

If i anchor in the heads of sydney harbour it won,t be long enough

of memory 45m in there.

My questions are

Would 100m do for starters?

or is this just over kill

How thick 8mm or 10mm or even thicker?

How long a chain should i have on this length boat?

The boat is a Quintrex 5m

I will be going a little of shore also (not to far)

Thanks for any advise

Congrats Johnno, you got the Quinnie. What package did you end up with ?

For rope standard rule is 3x the depth, so if you are anchoring in 10m, then you should have 30m of rope out so the angle is at 45 degrees.

I prefer the thicker 10mm rope as it is easier on your hands when you are hauling it up...especially in winter when your hands are frozen.

Chain length should be around the length of the boat. Better to have more chain than not enough. It acts as a shock absorber in swell and keeps the anchor at the right angle to hold. Make sure you get a reef anchor as well, saves losing anchors and chain and rope when over reef.

... so if you are anchoring in 10m, then you should have 30m of rope out so the angle is at 45 degrees.

Hehehe... i think you need to brush up on your trigonometry :1prop: :-)

I do not think 100m is an over kill and should do if you fishing rivers and bays and close off shore reefs possibly

The length of chain I use is only about 2.5 meters long; however what Pekingduck said makes sense. I do use a size up on the anchor that is recommended for my boat.

The larger diameter rope would be my choice and maybe go up a fraction to 12mm

Cheers

Martin

Hey Johnno

Have a look at the SARCA anchor. Sand and Rock/Reef combination anchor

Here is the URL for the Australian site

http://www.anchorright.net/index.php?id=aus

I bought a no 2 recently and it has been really great. My boat is fibregalss 5.3m

I used to use the normal sand anchors and a reef anchor. I now only use the SARCA but it is wise to always carry a spare.

Go and have a look at their website and there is an excellent movie on the whole concept.

I have no affiliation to this company whatsoever. Just a good and clever product well worth a mention.

Cheers

inhlanzi

Get yourself an anka yanka mate, and save your arms for fishing!

just read about these in bias catalogue after your sugestion they look easy enough to use

looks like bouyance brings anchor up from ocean floor then you pull rope in when anchor is sitting up towards the top of the waterline hence saving your back -is this right anyone do you need a certain amount of horsepower

ta

Congrats Johnno, you got the Quinnie. What package did you end up with ?

Cheers Tri

The boat is a quintrex 5m Seabreeze 2001with a 2st 75hp ELPTO

138hrs very clean ,been looked after well

Now doing some re arranging of things and adding and all is good

Here is a pic

post-2305-1159254085_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the help guys and girls if any

Think i might look at the anka yanka

get 100m rope and check my chain length

Edited by johnno

Just replaced the anchors and chain/rope on my 4.3M boat. Using 10mm rope with 2.5M of chain , which is sheathed in canvas fire hose , saves scratches on the fibreglass !!! I have 50M of rope , enougn for about 120 feet of water.

Ross

Thanks for the fire hose idea, i will be getting my hands on a bit of that. Did you secure it either end with cable ties or wire?

Stallo

I can recommend the Mooloolabah pick anchor. I use it for my Quintrex 420 on both sand and reef bottoms. It hold on reef, but not so well that it gets stuck. The weight of it (plus the 2m or so of chain) is enough to hold me on most sand bottoms. Only prob is that they are hard to find - the only place that I know that sells them is the Chanderly in Coffs Harbour. I can give you more info if interested.

I never anchor in anymore than 30m, so I have about 100m of rope.

BTW - I awlays have a spare anchor ready to go as well as I had to cut one off once.

Edited by mark_s

• 4 weeks later...

If your going to use an anchor yanker, you don't need to worry about the rope being thick enough to handle easily. I just put new anchor and rope on my 5.2M Haines, I went with 100M of 8mm nylon rope, it's stronger than the 12mm silver rope that most people use and you can store so much more of it, I would have room for probably another 200M of the stuff in my anchor well, wouldn't have a hope with 12mm. I also use 5M of 3/8 gal chain and a reef pick and a home made anchor yanker.

Dave.

If your going to use an anchor yanker, you don't need to worry about the rope being thick enough to handle easily. I just put new anchor and rope on my 5.2M Haines, I went with 100M of 8mm nylon rope, it's stronger than the 12mm silver rope that most people use and you can store so much more of it, I would have room for probably another 200M of the stuff in my anchor well, wouldn't have a hope with 12mm. I also use 5M of 3/8 gal chain and a reef pick and a home made anchor yanker.

Dave.

how did you go about making your own if you don,t mine me asking

I just used a 300mm foam float and a 4" stainless ring, both available at boating stores. Spliced some of my 8mm nylon rope onto the foam float, then splice the other end as a loop with a gal thimble so that the length between float and thimble was about 2'. Then attatched the ring to the thimble with a dee shackle, all done. just undo your anchor from the chain and feed the chain through the ring and reattatch the anchor.

Dave.