Red Fin In Lake Burley Griffin In Canberra

Grebbo

Quick report on the lake Burley Griffin in Canberra for the pass weekend,

Saturday 30th of September, went out on the lake around lunchtime and stayed till approximately 5.30pm, tones and I mean tones of fish on the sounder, however very few bites, managed only one small reddie on a soft plastic.

Sunday 1st of October, this time went out late, around 3.30 pm and stayed out till dark, again the fish finder screen was full of fish arches, managed to land 4 decent size reddies and failed to land the biggest fish of the day, also a reddie :mad3: , all but one taken on soft plastic in about 5 to 6 m depth, very late in the afternoon, 5.30 till 6.30pm, last fish take while trolling a hard body on the way back to the ramp. The lake water is still quite cold, Varying from 17 to 20 deg, however going by the fish finder, it should be a ripper of a season on the lake, as soon as the days and water get warmer. The most productive time at the currently seams to be very late in the afternoon, just before dark, this will however change as the water warms up and the fish become more active (aggressive) thought-out the entire day.

Best softies at the moment are dark reds or browns in 2-inch grubs,

Hard bodies 2m + in red and browns with yellow bellies are also proving productive.

post-1420-1159851583_thumb.jpg

I have seen schools of red fin in the lake close to a hundred maybe more, quite frequently in summer chasing my hard body, the sounder is new, used 3 times, Ray Marine DS 400, digital so it should distinguish the difference between noise and fish, furthermore the would be no interference as it runs its individual supply batter and the electric motor was out of the water. Also the signals were intermittent as there were times where there was no fish on the screen.

there are just s--t loads of fish in that lake, and the fact that you can go out in summer and catch 40 reddies in one avo is a testament to that.