Sps Cause Cancer?

Little_Flatty

Bought a pack of SPs today and they had a cautionary message on the back of the pack saying that there are cancer causing chemicals and that we should not eat ( :wacko: ) them or consume food after touching them.

Now I know that anyone who would eat SPs is probably a little :wacko: anyway, and that this is a legally paranoid world, but I have thought nothing in the past about pulling out a sandwich in the middle of an SP session for lunch, and I'd be darned if I washed my hands in Iron Cove before eating!

Anyone know more about this? Am I going to have kids with three heads?

Mike :tease:

Am I going to have kids with three heads?

I doubt it, mate. Normally the warning comes in the form of "this product has been found by the state of California..." (as Daniel mentioned) and is normally a warning about lead in jigheads. I've got a feeling that it may also apply to other chemicals as I've gotten the message on Owner trebles too. As you mentioned, it's probably just legal paranoia... probably...

Flattieman.

Guest danielinbyron

Don't worry about it mate, the mobile phone and microwave will kill ya long before ya sp's do :1prop:

i reckon this wind is gunna kill me if it keeps up... not easy being thin in 25 knots.

Yeah, don't worry about that warning. It's, as other have said, to do with the State of California.

They put that warning on just about everything there.

Having lived there for 11 years...you get used to it.

It's just covering their asses in case some yoyo decides to sue them...they have at least warned you

in advance.

It's also ironic that Calif. has shitty air..I wonder why they don't sky-write that warning

in the sky. Hmmm.

The warning is usually posted in the foyer of all buildings in Calif. warning that tobacco

smoke is carginogenic (cancer causing) even though smoking inside buildings has been illegal

for years. You also see it at petrol stations on the gas pump warning that the fuel is carcenogenic.

I wouldn't recommend making a meal of SP's though..far better in a fishe's gob!

Cheers,

Pete.

Edited by MallacootaPete

• 2 weeks later...

The reason that the warning is posted is due to the product mix giving off toxic gasses when heated up.

During the cooking process of the plastics, there is a smoke that when breathed in can be dangerous and cancer causing, but this is during the cooking process and usually when the mix is over heated.

There are some people who make a hybrid model from different broken SP's and some of these work really well.

When rewelding or repairing the plastic this can also give off smoke or gas. This is why they recommend Super Glue for repair of tears not remelting with a lighter.

It can be safe to do as long as it's done in a well ventilated area. But then some are not as smart as us. :1prop:

If you want more info send me a PM.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Making hybrid SP's might be the go, especially in Sydney Harbour. I reckon a three headed bass minnow would be a killer lure in the bream comps :074: , then with the left overs you could do a two tailed minnow with a shrimp head. :thumbup:

I,ve been cooking stirn fries with soft plastics for years. They taste great especially GULP. i am fine so don't wory!!