Jew On A Diet

Red

G'day Raiders,

Was planning a night of bait gathering until my brother called. He's been on high alert in recent times with the birth of a new baby and this has meant zero fishing......greatest method of torture for a fishnut ever.

My brother and i rarely fish together for jew these days but when we do, the trips are usually memorable.

Got to the Rose Bay ramp at 9:30 and fished the top of the tide for zip. Changed pozzie for the run out, pegged the lines out and kicked back with a cuppa and coffin nail when my heavy spin stick buckles hard and starts losing line.....woohoo....feels like a nice fish so a decision was made and all lines were pulled in. Tried to pass the rod over to Pete but he didn't want a bar of that. After a solid fight in comes an 18kg croaker. Welcome aboard buddy :1prop:

After a few high fives Pete decides to peg out one rod while i dehooked this fish and i swear his rod was in the water for less than two minutes before it was Petes turn for some arm stretching......woohooo

This fish was a real mongrel and had run Pete around the anchor in no time. I still don't know how Pete managed to pull this off but he somehow jumped over the windscreen with the rod in his hand. The look of determination on his face was special.

After an eventfull fight, the now weakened line snaps With the fish in range, it was now all up to me to pull off the gaffshot of my life in the dark :1yikes:

Anxiety had now hit the roof, until the gaff found its mark just under the pectoral fin......What drama!

These two fish were very similar in length but totally different in build.

They measured 122cm and 120cm.........18kg and 13kg respectively.

The 122cm- 18kg fish was fatter than normal and the 120cm - 13kg fish was the skinniest jew i have seen. It had half a dozen whitebait in its gut. Whats with females and diets :074:

Good to see the male of the species isn't self concious and enjoys its tucker :1prop:

Cheers

Red

post-799-1160624364_thumb.jpg

post-799-1160624411_thumb.jpg

Edited by mrsswordfisherman

G'day Raiders,

Was planning a night of bait gathering until my brother called. He's been on high alert in recent times with the birth of a new baby and this has meant zero fishing......greatest method of torture for a fishnut ever.

My brother and i rarely fish together for jew these days but when we do, the trips are usually memorable.

Got to the Rose Bay ramp at 9:30 and fished the top of the tide for zip. Changed pozzie for the run out, pegged the lines out and kicked back with a cuppa and coffin nail when my heavy spin stick buckles hard and starts losing line.....woohoo....feels like a nice fish so a decision was made and all lines were pulled in. Tried to pass the rod over to Pete but he didn't want a bar of that. After a solid fight in comes an 18kg croaker. Welcome aboard buddy :1prop:

After a few high fives Pete decides to peg out one rod while i dehooked this fish and i swear his rod was in the water for less than two minutes before it was Petes turn for some arm stretching......woohooo

This fish was a real mongrel and had run Pete around the anchor in no time. I still don't know how Pete managed to pull this off but he somehow jumped over the windscreen with the rod in his hand. The look of determination on his face was special.

After an eventfull fight, the now weakened line snaps With the fish in range, it was now all up to me to pull off the gaffshot of my life in the dark :1yikes:

Anxiety had now hit the roof, until the gaff found its mark just under the pectoral fin......What drama!

These two fish were very similar in length but totally different in build.

They measured 122cm and 120cm.........18kg and 13kg respectively.

The 122cm- 18kg fish was fatter than normal and the 120cm - 13kg fish was the skinniest jew i have seen. It had half a dozen whitebait in its gut. Whats with females and diets :074:

Good to see the male of the species isn't self concious and enjoys its tucker :1prop:

Cheers

Red

Good stuff Red,

Your an inspiration to us wannabes. Would have loved to have seen your bro up on the windscreen!

:1prop:

Guest danielinbyron

great story mate...

thats what i love about those fish ...

if you got a week spot they'll find it...

and the dramas...

nice work.

GEEZUS .... just saw pics ... ITS fatty and skinny...

looks like skinny might have a farm tail..

Edited by danielinbyron

Nice pair there Red! :thumbup:

It is strange to have such a big weight difference. From your report it seems like the lighter fish still gave a good account of itself. I know the Jew from Brisbane Waters are very fat & heavy for their length. I got a 120cm fish from there & it went 20.5kgs!

Top session mate, well done.

Cheers,

Grant.

GEEZUS .... just saw pics ... ITS fatty and skinny...

:074::074: So true. Much like myself and the missus :074:

Cheers guys, its nice to get lucky every once in a while. I'm just happy for my brother who's had no opportunities to have a fish of late. I reckon this trip has made up for it.

Cheers

Red

G`day Fellas ,

Red , that is a top quinella mate , and as I have said previously , there is always a story with a big fish , and yours is living proof of that.

I guess your brother would have been gutted had you missed with the Gaff , but obviously the right man was on duty for the prize to be won.

Well done mate , top double hook up.

Mick

How lucky to be able to gaff the jew after it had busted your brother off. :1clap:

It was all arse mate. A bit of drama just adds to the memories :thumbup:

Hope my brother can repay the favour some day. Feeling kinda lucky to have a brother that loves fishing :thumbup:

Happy days

Red

G`day Fellas ,

Funny about the weight variations in fish .

Jews full of sand crabs are usualy solid , and thick like a brick.

Fish feasting on Mullett and Salmon I find are normally are the fattest .

I haven`t caught to many Jews Full of Whitebait and nothing else though.

Although I did catch a long skinny one here a few years back in the 20LB range in very poor Condition , but after letting him go I noticed he had disgorged about a kilo of white bait mince .

I gathered it up for berley , but never got another bite all night.

Mick

Guest danielinbyron

I very rarely find anything other than white bait or mince inside... i figured this was because they used those crusher plates to mince everything and whitebait was the only thing that made it through intact sometimes...

i also figured that they must have a fairly quick digestive system...

i did however find a bent up whole wire coat hanger in one from behind the train bridge in the hawkesbury once...

Cheers guys, it sure was an awesome session. That skinny jew looked like a huge (Laurie style) tailor. Be good if it was :1prop:

Giving them a break for a while as i've too many cutlets in the freezer.

Cheers

Red