Middle Harbour

Flattieman

G'day Raiders,

One of my mates, Tim, has been wanting to have a "boat day" with myself and a few other mates for quite a while. It was planned for 10am today amidst some uncertainties... you see... Tim's family's boat is moored in Middle Harbour (23ft half-cab) and I had no idea how to fish it! After some guidance from fellow Raiders, (thanks, fellas!) we arrived and started the ferrying process from shore to boat - including what looked like a preposterous amount of fishing gear for me (the level of fishing experience varies between my mates - so I was doing a bit of tutoring throughout the trip - that included bringing rods for everyone - probably unneccessarily - as there were some already in the boat - and bait, tackle etc.)

So with the boat sitting about a foot lower under the strain of the fishing gear (not really! :biggrin2: ), we set out for a bit of a cruise around - a "boat day" entails putting around, nourishment and a spot of fishing. We cruised out to Balmoral beach and headed back to the Spit, where we stopped for a spot of fishing. My first hour was spent showing the guys the rigs, bait presentation etc. etc. and re-baiting - so on and so forth. Then the fish started to bite! :yahoo:

It started off fairly slow with a few of the omnipresent small snapper, but before long, some larger fare came out to play :biggrin2: . First decent fish to hit the deck was a 26cm bream, caught by my mate Rhyley :biggrin2: - it wasn't in good shape, so in to the bag it went. Not long after, another mate, Nic, brought a good tailor (37cm) to the boat :thumbup: - a schoolmate of whose had bitten the sinker off Nic's paternoster rig (nasty thing!). As I was re-rigging Nic, out of the corner of my eye, I saw my rod buckle into a nice curve - Nic didn't waste any time and struck for me! (Thanks, mate!) In a short while, a fat 31cm bream was boated. By now, the action was coming fairly consistently, with Tim and Elliot (yes - another mate!) occupied with some snapper. Rhyley managed one on the legal size, but opted for catch-and-release.

At about 12:30, the bite had slowed down and the nor'-easter had picked up - we decided to try Bantry Bay (quite peaceful). We anchored in a sheltered spot, where Tim whipped us up some gourmet rolls for lunch whilst I threw a line in and berleyed up. The first fish who met the berley were tarwhine (I would love to see some bigguns sometime!). As I started on my roll, the rod that I was using bent forward with that unmistakable whiting bite. Hooking it, I was surprised at the weight of the fish. Once it was in sight, I noticed that it was better-than-average size at 37cm :thumbup: . The other guys decided to also eat and fish, with some undersized whiting and tarwhine landed by all. The higlight of that time was Rhyley scoring another bream - 31cm this time. He released that fish. Soon, time was upon us and we returned to the mooring.

Overall, we had a successful "boat day", with the three objectives met - putting around, nourishment and a spot of fishing. Indeed, it was very relaxing to be on the water, eat good food and catch a few good fish. We all enjoyed ourselves very much, and we're all thinking of doing it again. Attached is a picture of the day's bag:

post-1466-1160651059_thumb.jpg

Flattieman.

Gee, I've rambled on! :biggrin2: As usual... :biggrin2:

Where's your beloved Flatties? :tease:

Thanks for all the comments, Raiders. Indeed, we all enjoyed ourselves very much. Jewhunter, I'm sure I would've been able to snag a few flatties if I had the time to work a SP with five other lines in the water! :biggrin2:

Flattieman.