Pittwater Kingies Hot To Trot

namesay

I am currently fishing out of my "other" boat as my main boat is being fitted out. It should be ready in 3-5 weeks. The ususal boat is a 6.2m noble super vee and is called the blue frog. At the moment I am fishing out of a trailcraft 485 ...no name!Cheers Kelvin

Yeah Dan I know of lots of guys who only use singles and catch heaps so horses for courses. Normally I don't like to fish with slack especially near structure or on a deep set bait as I want an instant hook up and drag their heads to the surface.

With shallow baits though I do like slack as it allows the fish to turn and swallow. I have the reels on almost free spool or use the bait runners. BUT having seen that DVD by Alistair McGlashan and seeing those cheeky fish plucking at the baits from behind, I think I will experiment with a free swinging hook at the rear of a live yakka or slimy and see what happens...AH when is my next fishing trip!!!!. Cheers Kelvin

I CAN SEE WHAT U MEAN ON THE TREBLE HOOKS

i use a rapuala cd 7/9/12 and have lost a quite a few kings when they get hooked

especially the slimey mackeral color goes off

i have heard it m ay be bettter to use a single hook at the back and maybe no front hook

what are your guyes thoughts on this

and any thing yourve experienced

cheers richie

I hate trebles for kings and even for tailor. A single hook seems to hold them way better.

Cheers Kelvin

Guest Big-Banana

I hate trebles for kings and even for tailor. A single hook seems to hold them way better.

Cheers Kelvin

Some guys swear by the treble. Ill be giving it a go anyways. Hopefully testing it out.

Some guys swear by the treble. Ill be giving it a go anyways. Hopefully testing it out.

My boat ratios have gone up alot since swicthing to trebles, you cannot compare it to using a cd-9 because they dont swallow the lure whole, they just get the hook, when a king takes a squid with a treble he takes it all the way down to his gut, With the 3 hooks its nearly impossible to get free.

I have only lost one king from a spat hook since swicthing to trebles, and thats out of around 150 caught since the switch.

But everyone has there preferences i guess, each to their own, i learn that technique from a charter operator in pittwater who has caught well over 5,000 kings, caught 780 just last season and swears by their hook up and boat rate in comparison to circles or live bait hooks. Those numbers alone will make me listen to what he has to say.

By the way Netic what size trebles are you using? I would think that large trebles would be OK but I can't seem to get any bigger than a size 1. I also find they tend to bend a bit and that spooks me when I think about how much strain that hook will be under when it is connected to a BIG hoodlum. I often use 80lb braid when there are big fish around and big strong hooks are what I am after.

I go fishing with that charter operator often as I have known him for many years outside of fishing but the lost fish ratio was a lot higher than when I go fishing with singles especially on the obviously bigger fish. But I guess if you are boating those fish then use whatever works for you. cheers Kelvin