Pittwater Kingies Hot To Trot

namesay

post-2057-1160895901_thumb.jpgpost-2057-1160895874_thumb.jpgI hope I don't bore you raiders out there but I rarely fish for anything but kingies. OFten I go out 3 times a week. ANyway I woke up this morning with a howling southerly, over cast and drizzling rain. Didn't matter fish are wet so got my boat hitched.

UNfortunately :wife: wouldn't let my little ones come...some excuse about the weather. The wind stopped me going outside so decided to go to pittwater. GOt to the ramp at 6am. No one around!

Started to fish for squid but the blasted wind made things difficult :1badmood: . Got 4 bait sized squid and one large one.

Went and tried the wrecks for nil result so tried a troll around Stokes. Within minutes the squid gets nailed by a kingie. Landed a 65cm fish. Same thing happened with the rest of the baits with the largest fish going some 83cm. Fish started to follow the hooked ones to the boat.

Then there are fish working the surface. A mix of tailer and kingies. Started throwing sluggos and hooked a couple of kingies. ONly small fish of around 60cm but good fun on lures. Eventually ran out of sluggos as the tailer tore them to pieces!! Went to poppers and caught kingies to midday. Started to get RSI from all the pumping and winding.

Couldn't tell you how many I caught but I think about a dozen. Kept 3 fish and the large squid.

Another good day with the kingies :thumbup: . Cheers Kelvinpost-2057-1160895874_thumb.jpgpost-2057-1160895901_thumb.jpg

post-2057-1160895901_thumb.jpgpost-2057-1160895874_thumb.jpgI hope I don't bore you raiders out there but I rarely fish for anything but kingies. OFten I go out 3 times a week. ANyway I woke up this morning with a howling southerly, over cast and drizzling rain. Didn't matter fish are wet so got my boat hitched.

UNfortunately :wife: wouldn't let my little ones come...some excuse about the weather. The wind stopped me going outside so decided to go to pittwater. GOt to the ramp at 6am. No one around!

Started to fish for squid but the blasted wind made things difficult :1badmood: . Got 4 bait sized squid and one large one.

Went and tried the wrecks for nil result so tried a troll around Stokes. Within minutes the squid gets nailed by a kingie. Landed a 65cm fish. Same thing happened with the rest of the baits with the largest fish going some 83cm. Fish started to follow the hooked ones to the boat.

Then there are fish working the surface. A mix of tailer and kingies. Started throwing sluggos and hooked a couple of kingies. ONly small fish of around 60cm but good fun on lures. Eventually ran out of sluggos as the tailer tore them to pieces!! Went to poppers and caught kingies to midday. Started to get RSI from all the pumping and winding.

Couldn't tell you how many I caught but I think about a dozen. Kept 3 fish and the large squid.

Another good day with the kingies :thumbup: . Cheers Kelvinpost-2057-1160895874_thumb.jpgpost-2057-1160895901_thumb.jpg

top stuff mate.

your report was not boring at all.

boring is fishing for 26 hours and getting zippo. thats my report by the way

Guest danielinbyron

our kingy spots got taken out by marine park:

and the ones that i been getting landbased are too small

its early days yet but... god i love the king fish..

1 day old and cold = best sushi ever

Thanks everyone for all the kind words. This is what makes fishraider the best site there is!!!!

The water in the inshore areas of Pittwater and Syd Harbour is at an almost ideal kingy temperature. It is now between 19-20degrees. When the temperature hits 25 or more they tend to shut down. The high temps also makes them lethargic and they tend not to fight as hard. I may be wrong but that is just my experience.

Pity about those marine parks. I hope this topic is fully exposed in this up coming election.

Please say hi if you are a raider and you see me on the water!

Cheers Kelvin

DV8- you troll the squid using 2 hooks. You should rig them so that the top hook is sliding (get Geoff wilson's book ). You place the top hook on the squid's mantle- that is the pointy bit and the second hook you place between the eyes. Simple as that . You can then troll the squid on the surface which is a deadly technique, add a sinker to the line to get it deeper or use a downrigger to control precisely the depth you troll the squid.

ONe warning, you should not use off set hooks especially on the top hook as this may make the bait spin. Also you should keep the troll speed low, 1-2 knots.

I hope this helps.Cheers Kelvin

Guest Big-Banana

Bottom hook should be a treble, apparantly its better that way? Thoughts on that guys?

Edited by Big-Banana

I know a certain charter operator uses trebles but I have found that the hooked fish tend to spit the trebles out more. I mainly use 7/0 hooks. The larger the hook, the better the purchase on the hooked fish. I also try to use thick gauge hooks as smaller gauge hooks tend to tear the mouth of the fish. This is really bad if you want to release the fish as I do most of the time and on larger fish it results in lost fish! Have a look at Kingfish secrets by #%$%^&(* in the pittwater section to see what I mean.

I use braid and fish heavy drag so that the fight is not too prolonged. This results in fish released in better condition so we can catch them when they get much larger :1prop: and most trebles do not hold the fish as well as a good single.

When you think about it most treble hooks are size 1 or 1/0. This a relatively small gape and the purchase on the fish is not that good. However, I have been experimenting with circle hooks. These hooks look like they won't even catch cold on a rainy day but I have been rigging them on my son's gear. So far I have had 5 bites for 5 hook ups for a 100% success rate and all the fish were pinned on the corner of the mouth for the best release possible. My 6 year old son who often allows the line to go slack during a fight landed all 5 fish as once they are hooked on these, they are hooked!!

With normal J hooks I find that the kingies when they are shy just nip the squid around the hooks but with circles they don't get "stung" until they are hooked so they tend to swallow the bait more readily. I think I will be switching to circles as my main hook in the near future. THe fact that the Japanese longliners swear by these hooks and have increased their hook up rates by more than 100% must say something!

Cheers Kelvin

I guess everyone has different results for different techniques. It would be a boring world if every thing was the same! I'll see how these circles go in the next few weeks but I still LOVE my Gammie Live Bait hooks. ALways go back to these when in doubt.Cheers KElvin

I have seen good success with a mate using a treble as the bottom hook. Having said that, I am yet to use that rig, not having been able to find big enough trebles. On my new downrigger I have used 7/0 hooks and have caught salmon withiout any problems. No Kings as yet, but here's hoping.....

Bloo

DV8- you troll the squid using 2 hooks. You should rig them so that the top hook is sliding (get Geoff wilson's book ). You place the top hook on the squid's mantle- that is the pointy bit and the second hook you place between the eyes. Simple as that . You can then troll the squid on the surface which is a deadly technique, add a sinker to the line to get it deeper or use a downrigger to control precisely the depth you troll the squid.

ONe warning, you should not use off set hooks especially on the top hook as this may make the bait spin. Also you should keep the troll speed low, 1-2 knots.

I hope this helps.Cheers Kelvin

Kelvin

Thanks for the tip(s).

Hope to see you on the water. What is your boats name?

Cheers

Davo