Saturday 14 Oct Hawkesbury

Martin

Finally after nearly 8 months of not getting to fish, last saturday we got to brush the cob webs off. I had on board my 9 year old son Matthew. The sole purpose of the day was to try and get a feed of flathead for the family and between us we managed 9 flathead and 2 flounder.

Nothing to special with the best flathead going 46cm.

Cheers

Martin

post-144-1160997035_thumb.jpg

Edited by Martin

I never have a problem with location and happy to share.

I generally drift at the mouth of the Hawkesbury opposite Gunya Beach, however between the Starboard markers in water that is between 12 to 18 feet deep ( high tide). Can be fished high or low tide.

Most fish are caught on white bait using a two hook rig, one in the tail and one through the eye. Always use straight shank hooks like the tarpon to stop any spining of the bait. Through the eye use a 3/0 or 2/0 and through the tail I use a 4/0. I will also use small squid baits which will do just as well.

We use a running sinker, generally a ball sinker, larger size to hold bottom on the drift. Give it a little bounce on the bottom by lifting and dropping the rod tip every now and then to catch the eye of the flathead as you disturb the bottom.

The 2 flounder we did keep along with 9 flathead and let 3 go which were undersize.

Cheers

Martin

post-144-1160998625_thumb.jpg

Edited by Martin

I generally drift at the mouth of the Hawkesbury oppisite Gunya Beach, however between the Starboard markers in water that is between 12 to 18 feet deep ( high tide). Can be fished high or low tide.

Hey Martin,

Well done.....

Not sure where this is, can you be a little more exact?

cheers,

Bloo

I generally drift at the mouth of the Hawkesbury oppisite Gunya Beach, however between the Starboard markers in water that is between 12 to 18 feet deep ( high tide). Can be fished high or low tide.

Hey Martin,

Well done.....

Not sure where this is, can you be a little more exact?

cheers,

Bloo

Opposite Guyna Beach on the other shore line you will see the green starboard markers. If you were heading up stream start your drift from the second marker on a run out tide drift back to the mouth (Juno Point). Start the drift about 30 feet out from that second marker and beyond. You will come across patches of flathead and should pick up two or three per drift.

Any one want to trade a potential jewfish spot apart from Flint and Steel, Juno Point, Walker Point or Guyna Beach/Point?

Cheers

Martin

Edited by Martin