Downriggers?

big_steve

hey fellow raiders,

just a quick 1 as too which down rigger people recommend??,

has any1 seen or used the new downrigger bomb which is called the "shark"?

instead of a circle bomb its in the shape of a fish and its very shinny, meant to work as a bit of an attractor for the fish...

any thoughts or tips on which downrigger to purchase would be great..

thanks in advance

cheers steve... :1fishing1:

Most riggers do the exact same thing, the choices that need to be made are firstly do you want an electric or manual, electrics are great but can also cost a fair bit, normally starting at around $1100.

With the manuals you have a few choices, Scotty, Cannon, Walker, Vector and the list goes on.

I have only used Scottys and Cannons, and between the 2 i prefer scottys,

Scotty has the brake handle where as the Cannons have a screw brake, So you need to screw it hard to put the rigger into lock which can be a bit of a bit..ch, All you have to do with the scotty is pull the handle and it will lock and unlock, much easier.

Scottys also look alot stronger and seem much more solid. But in the end they will do the same job.

The biggest mistake most people make is to by one of the small lake downriggers to save money as these can be purchased at around $200-$250

Be aware that the lake riggers can only hold up to 3lb weights and that is not heavy enough for harbour or bay fishing and the weight will come up in the water column.

Hope that helps

I used to have an old white canon that was solid as a rock, the arm on it was a lot bigger than any scotty, but I looked at the scottys the other day and they do look ok, I'd still prefer a canon but there's not much between them, even the penn fathom master looks the goods.

Hi Big Steve

I am no authority on downriggers though I do own one that i use for trolling for trout. With a bit of aussie ingenuity thaey are cheep and easy to make. I used a golf cart wheel and found some scrap alluminium at the scrap yard for a couple of dollars. I got the bits welded together for $30. The bomb I moulded in lead myself by first casting a mould in plaster of paris using a small ball ( made two hemispheres and screwd them together). I use game wire as the rig. 30 lb fishing line hummed too much through the water. I just had to buy a good quality release clip. I can't stand spending money on expensive gear. Would rather put the money towards somthing special like a good rod and reel.

Cheers

Davo

Netic is completely right sbout downriggers. They all do basically the same thing. I too prefer the scotty as they have a good stop and wind mechanism. THe cannon and walker downriggers have a handle that you have to wind and unwind which is too much for my simple brain to handle.

However, I have seen lots of home made downriggers which work perfectly. I have even seen guys with handlines with downrigger bombs and fish them with success. The only thing you have to worry about is the weight capacity as too small a weight means that you will have too much lag- the bomb running too far behind your boat- especially when you have your bait set deep. Having said that you can use a 3lb bomb to about 10 meters without too much probs but a larger downrigger is much better.

As for the shark bomb, I am not too sure how fish attracting it is. I have been on boats where they have had this bomb and to tell you the truth I couldn't see what all the fuss was about. My theory is if you have a good bait then the fish will hit it like a train!!!

I have tried lots of different bombs and really can't tell you that one attracts the fish more than the other. I use a simple black bomb or an unpainted lead bomb and seem to catch as many as anyone else.

The only thing about downriggers is that they can hum quite a lot. Some downriggers hum more than others. There are several good solutions to the humming and a lot of it involves simple remedies but getting a good installation with rubber mounts helps enormously

Cheers Kelvin

Most riggers do the exact same thing, the choices that need to be made are firstly do you want an electric or manual, electrics are great but can also cost a fair bit, normally starting at around $1100.

With the manuals you have a few choices, Scotty, Cannon, Walker, Vector and the list goes on.

I have only used Scottys and Cannons, and between the 2 i prefer scottys,

Scotty has the brake handle where as the Cannons have a screw brake, So you need to screw it hard to put the rigger into lock which can be a bit of a bit..ch, All you have to do with the scotty is pull the handle and it will lock and unlock, much easier.

Scottys also look alot stronger and seem much more solid. But in the end they will do the same job.

The biggest mistake most people make is to by one of the small lake downriggers to save money as these can be purchased at around $200-$250

Be aware that the lake riggers can only hold up to 3lb weights and that is not heavy enough for harbour or bay fishing and the weight will come up in the water column.

Hope that helps

Netic ,

What's the asking price of those scotty's downriggers,i'm going out to get one, never used one but they seem like it's the way to go if i want better results on the kings.

thanks

Guest hottuna

I used to have an old white canon that was solid as a rock, the arm on it was a lot bigger than any scotty, but I looked at the scottys the other day and they do look ok, I'd still prefer a canon but there's not much between them, even the penn fathom master looks the goods.

ive a 625 penn fathom master, good solid well built unit easy works a 10lb bomb at up to 5knots (when you spot a bait ball 1knots just too slow) Weve sold alot of smaller trout units latetly the guys are using them for kings but only on smaller boats with 20 -40 hp , as larger engines 70hp+ cant troll slow enough thus the bomb will rise.

There all good.

dan

ive a 625 penn fathom master, good solid well built unit easy works a 10lb bomb at up to 5knots (when you spot a bait ball 1knots just too slow) Weve sold alot of smaller trout units latetly the guys are using them for kings but only on smaller boats with 20 -40 hp , as larger engines 70hp+ cant troll slow enough thus the bomb will rise.

There all good.

dan

OK guys thanks for the comments and thoughts,

although i have another question that has just come to mind,

my boat it a 4.5 quinnie with a 40 yammie on the back,

so wats recommended as far as the weight of the bomb ect ect?

cheers steve

OK guys thanks for the comments and thoughts,

although i have another question that has just come to mind,

my boat it a 4.5 quinnie with a 40 yammie on the back,

so wats recommended as far as the weight of the bomb ect ect?

cheers steve

Would recommend a 7lb Weight

Guest Big-Banana

Ive got a 7m boat with a 175hp on the back, Iam looking at buying a 10lb weight. However my downrigger is rated to 15lbs. What would you guys recommend for Pittwater/Offshore?

Ive got a 7m boat with a 175hp on the back, Iam looking at buying a 10lb weight. However my downrigger is rated to 15lbs. What would you guys recommend for Pittwater/Offshore?

Go the 10lb weight, should handle your estuary and your offshore work.

Big Banana Im sure pete ran you through the no no's when it comes to downrigging but if you got any questions just give me a buzz.

Most important: always work the rear of other boats as their morring/Anchor ropes can be a headache.

some guys really let out alot of rope and that could mean their rope is over a 30 metre area and your rigger will get caught. If you work the rear of the boats you will be fine.

Welcome to the rigger club, now all other boaties will hate you cause you drive all over their fav spots and catch the fish they wanted too. You will get some very rude people who will deliberately cast in front of you to ruin your run around a marker.

Good luck

Other people don't do that, do they Netic?????????

They sure do

I have guys deliberate cast in front of me, has happened atleast 15 times to me, they also give you filthy looks and stuff.

They get the shits cause you keep working around and moving around, When they cast in front of you it can be a real bi.tch because you cant turn sharp when downrigging with 2 riggers.

But after a while you get used to it and prepare for it.

Edited by netic

Guest Sea Jay

hey fellow raiders,

just a quick 1 as too which down rigger people recommend??,

has any1 seen or used the new downrigger bomb which is called the "shark"?

instead of a circle bomb its in the shape of a fish and its very shinny, meant to work as a bit of an attractor for the fish...

any thoughts or tips on which downrigger to purchase would be great..

thanks in advance

cheers steve... :1fishing1:

You looking at getting one to chase those kingies this summer mate????

Where abouts you thinking of using it????