The Peak

ACZ

i got a 93cm leatherjacket on a charter... BIG can opener :1prop:

bit thru my 6/0 once it hit the deck

about 4 years ago now and we bagged out on them all close to that size, but mine went the biggest by about 10cms

CFD

thats huge mate!!!!!!!! :thumbup: ...geez that would have put up a descent tussle too

nope,

and the head went close to 70cms of the fish

dissapointing

and i was reluctant to eat it because the skin was a funny colour and seeing as though it came up almost dead i palmed it off to a dude on the boat who wanted it

CFD

yer CFD i was thinkin it may have been a bit tough- the meat.......there wierd creatures arent they...lol

has ne one been jigging around the peak , plonk hole or the 12 recently???...thinkin this weekend mite be the go 4 a serious session on the jigs

Edited by ACZ

yer CFD i was thinkin it may have been a bit tough- the meat.......there wierd creatures arent they...lol

has ne one been jigging around the peak , plonk hole or the 12 recently???...thinkin this weekend mite be the go 4 a serious session on the jigs

There are kings to be had on jigs at 12 mile and the peak but take plenty of spare jigs - those leatheries are costing me a bomb on new jigs . I had to learn to tell the difference between kings and leatherjackets on the sounder , once I did that I saved a heap of jigs and got onto the kings. Also been getting Barracouta as a bycatch quite regularly - mean looking fish!!

Edited by pageboy

There are kings to be had on jigs at 12 mile and the peak but take plenty of spare jigs - those leatheries are costing me a bomb on new jigs . I had to learn to tell the difference between kings and leatherjackets on the sounder , once I did that I saved a heap of jigs and got onto the kings. Also been getting Barracouta as a bycatch quite regularly - mean looking fish!!

damn leatheries. :thumbdown: ..lol....thanks 4 that pageboy, looks like i might b goin 4 a jig this weekend....ne size in em?....ne area of the peak in particular? :1prop: .......i have noticed that the kings tend to be a blob on the sounder where as leatheries form a thinnish line near the bottom...is that how u tell the difference 2?....i have also been getting barracouta on jigs esp near plonky when im out there....wierd that ay!

cheers

alex

Edited by ACZ

damn leatheries. :thumbdown: ..lol....thanks 4 that pageboy, looks like i might b goin 4 a jig this weekend....ne size in em?....ne area of the peak in particular? :1prop: .......i have noticed that the kings tend to be a blob on the sounder where as leatheries form a thinnish line near the bottom...is that how u tell the difference 2?....i have also been getting barracouta on jigs esp near plonky when im out there....wierd that ay!

cheers

alex

Alex

I have been done over a few times at 12 mile and have had to rethink my gear. On my last trip out they were there and I got buried on 50lb braid so its back to saving up for a reel jigging outfit - gotta think there was some size to them. Looks pretty spot on in terms of your sounder - On my sounder the kings appear as an isolated school not usually in touch with the bottom but just off it - where the leatheries as you say appear as a cloud on the bottom up to about 5m.

If i see any isolated shapes then I know its gotta be something good especially at 110 metres.

I don't know the peak extremely well but it seems to come up on the north east corner or at least it is a steeper rise - thats the only place I have had any luck

:thumbdown:

Alex

I have been done over a few times at 12 mile and have had to rethink my gear. On my last trip out they were there and I got buried on 50lb braid so its back to saving up for a reel jigging outfit - gotta think there was some size to them. Looks pretty spot on in terms of your sounder - On my sounder the kings appear as an isolated school not usually in touch with the bottom but just off it - where the leatheries as you say appear as a cloud on the bottom up to about 5m.

If i see any isolated shapes then I know its gotta be something good especially at 110 metres.

I don't know the peak extremely well but it seems to come up on the north east corner or at least it is a steeper rise - thats the only place I have had any luck

thanks 4 that info pageyboy.....yer ive only been dusted once by something at the 12mile.....i use 50lb gear too on a 14000spheros- 400 t curve combo....getting dusted with 50lb gear usually means there is some size in em....the biggest ive ever gotten out there was 10kg bak in august but there are some real hoodlums out there heard reports of 24kg ones and 50lb braid isnt gunna stand much of a chance with em...maybe 80lb? on a stella lol :1prop: .....next time u go out there send us a pm or something we could buddy up and try and target em together....was goin to go there and give em a go this w.e but the weather looks shitty

cheers alex

Got a 3kg john dory out there many years ago........................ never seen one that size before!!!

Felt like about 10kg bringing it up....... must have opened its mouth..... could fit my whole fist in there no probs!!!!!!

Ill see if I can find the pic to scan in.

Very tasty.

Got a 3kg john dory out there many years ago........................ never seen one that size before!!!

Felt like about 10kg bringing it up....... must have opened its mouth..... could fit my whole fist in there no probs!!!!!!

Ill see if I can find the pic to scan in.

Very tasty.

nice fish mate :thumbup: ....have never caught a dory b4...heard they are like a plastic bag comin up