Norway, Storskaltaren Bank

JaniFIN

Hi dudes! Long time a go i did made this report, now i do edit it, better english now ext ext. This is video link to this trip 2006:

I put this other place, but this is better place tell that story. I was fishing on the polar sea last august whit 2 my frend. We did rent 8.5 meter fishing boat whit skipper and we sailing 27 hours, fishing in that time about 17 hours. 1boat.gif 60 kilometers from coast and that skipper is it sea biology Dr. Ole-Petter Pederssen. We drive 5 hours fron North Norway coast to Storskaltaren BANK, there is water between 60-8m only, and around that area over 200m. We start fishing 55m and i fishin about 2 minute when my first HALIBUT (15kg) was on boat, and one my frend get same time 10kg POLLOCK. All that trip we get over 10 cod between 10-15kg about 5 cod between 15-20kg and 2 ower 20kg. I get 20kg cod and my frend 20.2kg cod. And we get 4 halibuts 4kg, 11kg, 13,5kg and 15kg. And one cusk, 7kg. All fish that trip about 650kg, only 3 man whit rods and lines, we did use softplastics and couple of times jigs. 1fishing1.gif

Edited by JaniFIN

Nice fish Jani, :thumbup:

how do those Halibit taste?

penguin

Yep! So, halibut it is that "flat fish", back brown, other side white, it taste veeery gooood :thumbup: , i think that it is all moste best fish on polar sea, no bones and no too mutch fat. Cod i dont like so mutsh, but boiled and one "New Foulands style" cooced it is good too, And fried cod thungs is it very delicious :thumbup:

Btw. Is here in forum any area where is fish cooked recipes?

Edited by JaniFIN

Nice fishing Jani,

After a trip to Alaska a few years ago I can tell you first hand that Halibut is a great eating fish. I can also tell you that the couple these guys caught were tiny compared to what you can catch. Fish of well over 100lb are common place from what I saw. Pity I wasn't much into fishing back then as it was salmon season & they were everywhere. Two sights I'll not forget were 2 young girls no mre than 8 or 10 lifting salmon from one creek with their bare hands & the fish must have been 5kg if they were an once. The other was the dead fish on the jetty near where we staying in Ketchican. Aparently they had jumpped up there by themselves left to be eaten by the birds.

Hi Jani

Nice pics and video, what tackle were you using?

Cheers

Evil

Hi. We did use Storm 385g/23cm jigs (brown is it best for halibut :-rolleyes ) and we did use too fladen 20cm, 23cm and 30cm jigs whit 300g head. And some pirks 300-800g. But biggest fish (we lose it :( ) bite whole pollock whit hook, and its cut rod three part, we think that it was near or over 100kg halibut. Because its take line all time, and then its parkering near bottom and stay there. But everytime biggest swimming away :1fishing1: , Is it same thing there :blush: