Downriggers

frankp

Hi all, just wanted to get some advice on downriggers.

with all the reports we have seen recently we have decided to buy a downrigger and really have no idea where to start. I just want to see maybe what was the best brand and what i would have to look out for when buying one.

also to place a downrigger on your boat do you have to have some sort of handrail to support it.

cheers

frank :biggrin2:

Frankp, I am also looking at fitting out with a downrigger. This is what my initial enquiries have found. Scotty downriggers appear to be widely used and available. They have a variety of different mounting systems such as a base plate or side mounted which can have a srew on mechanism making it portable. There is no need to have a handrail although I think there is a mounting base for these as well. Lastly they appear very expensive (>$500) which surprises me for they are relatively simple in construction. If you find any cheaper alternatives that have the quality that Scotty have let me know.

Cheers Flea

Frank - I just bought a scotty last weekend and fitted it to my boat the same day. You definitely don't need a handrail - in fact if you want to attach it to a handrail you need to buy a special attachment.

The unit will screw directly into the gunnel of your boat or, if you want, you can buy several different types of base plate that allow the unit to swivel and can be easily detached etc.

I agree with Flea though - they really are expensive for what is, in effect, a very simple unit. I bought mine at Fishfinder at the discount fishraider deal price which took a bit of the sting out of the purchase, so give Tony a call if you're interested.

Now if this weather would only clear I could get out there and use the damn thing!!!

Frank

I was at the BCF shop at Port Macquarie last week & they had a variety of downriggers, starting at $177 (including the weight). The smaller units looked pretty good to me, but I will only be fishing lakes & quiet water. I guess it all dep

Hi Frank

I was at the BCF shop at Port Macquarie last week & they had a variety of downriggers, starting at $177 (including the weight). The smaller units looked pretty good to me, but I will only be fishing lakes & quiet water. I guess it all depends on the size/weight you want to fish. The bigger & heavier weight, the more expensive the unit.

Cheers

Roberta

Guest Big-Banana

thanks all

i have had a look and try to find some information. we have a 21ft boat and wanted to use it for all types of fishing. people reccommened a scotty 1085 with 10 pound weight. it sounded pretty good.

Ive got the same setup, can't wait to give it a run.

Ive got the same setup, can't wait to give it a run.

Hi

I am looking at getting a downrigger, I too am suprised by the price for what you get. I have a 4 mtr tinny but it's cabable of cruising around pittwater, lion island as well as the lakes. It has been recommended to me by various people to get rid of the wire cable and use 100lb braid instead as there is much less resistance in the water. So based on that theory a small unit using braid instead of wire should be capable of getting 5lb wieghts down to the strike zone in the harbour. That would mean a cheaprer unit $ 175 doing the same job as the $500 units. Maybe some one has tried this and can give a bit of feedback.

Cheers

Hi

I am looking at getting a downrigger, I too am suprised by the price for what you get. I have a 4 mtr tinny but it's cabable of cruising around pittwater, lion island as well as the lakes. It has been recommended to me by various people to get rid of the wire cable and use 100lb braid instead as there is much less resistance in the water. So based on that theory a small unit using braid instead of wire should be capable of getting 5lb wieghts down to the strike zone in the harbour. That would mean a cheaprer unit $ 175 doing the same job as the $500 units. Maybe some one has tried this and can give a bit of feedback.

Cheers

Mate i tried it when i first started, in stronger currents where you have to go faster it just didnt go well,

also in choppeir waters it went shocking also....the small ones are designed for lakes where there is no current

Mate i tried it when i first started, in stronger currents where you have to go faster it just didnt go well,

also in choppeir waters it went shocking also....the small ones are designed for lakes where there is no current

have you looked at the cannon downriggers, theya re a bit more surdy I reckon and come with an optional swivel base. in larger currents you would require a heavier bomb to get it down to the depths you want and the bow in the wire will make it disappear from you sounders range if you move too fast or if the current is too strong.

Cheers,

Huey

have you looked at the cannon downriggers, theya re a bit more surdy I reckon and come with an optional swivel base. in larger currents you would require a heavier bomb to get it down to the depths you want and the bow in the wire will make it disappear from you sounders range if you move too fast or if the current is too strong.

Cheers,

Huey

I have had cannons before, not bad but the only things is the locking mechanism, not as good as the scottys, its much like a drag system rather then an automatic clucth like the scotty's have.

And in my opinion there not as strong

The only other rigger i would reccomend other then a scotty is a penn fathom master

Edited by netic

Hi Guys

I have the Penn Fathom master, one and one on the way. Very robust and durable.

Like the others an assortment of opt for fitting to the boat. As well as two boom lenghts.

I run a 10pound wieght that allows for current and chop. Been vry happy with the unit.

Jon

Downriggers are expensive for what they are but are very useful fishing tools. I now have 4 and love the scotty. Cannon and walker have a funny release which Netic has noted is one of the points where scottys wins out.

A good downrigger for use in saltwater will set you back about $500..no matter the brand. I use a gimbal mount on all my downriggers and found this to be quick and easy..also portable. CHeers Kelvin

Downriggers are effective EVERYWHERE!!!

You can use them offshore for devastating effect and that is where most of my kingfishing is done. I learnt all about downriggers from Pete Leblang who uses downrigging exclusively in Pittwater. Cheers kelvin