Battle Of The Winds - Jervis Bay 3-7/11

deano35

post-2484-1162939994_thumb.jpgSet off Friday morning 3/11 to Callala Bay after borrowing a mates boat as mine is being repaired after nearly blowing up the motor recently, for hopefully four days of great fishing. Not believing the BOM as they are often wrong, I thought the winds may change and we would have a good time.

WRong, wrong, wrong, they got it right this time, bloody winds. :1badmood: GOt out Friday arvo for a couple of hours until the wind started picking up. Had managed to land an 80cm shovel nose shark, two stingrays and a very large catfish, not at all what we were after.

Saturday, not worth getting out of bed. 25-30 knots, patching rain, boat didn't move. Forecast for SUnday was no difference. Monday looked like we could get out. THe winds dropped in the arvo and we dragged the boat to the Greenwell Point and fished the Crookhaven River. Got onto a few small bream and lots of flatties. A few would have made the size if we had broken their necks and stretched them about 2cm, oh well back they went to catch next time. IT was a run out tide and we got most of our luck drifting past a small estuary about a kilometre down from the ramp. For those that know the river it is the inlet where the rescue boats are moored. THis is where the majority of the fish were landed, probably a dozen all up.

Predictions for Tuesday were looking great, slight wind, small swell. Hit the ramp at 7.30am with my four year old and two friends and out into Jervis Bay. It was an absolute millpond, excellent conditions. We went straight over towards the north head and fished opposite Honeymoon Bay about 300 metres outside of the exclusion zone. Jagged a great spot. As soon as the bait hit the bottom the fish were into it. Lizard after lizard, mixed with the occassional whiting. Only one keeper which measured 40cm, lots and lots of nearly legals though. The four year old loved it and quite frankly so did I, after the previous three days.

Went in at midday, cleaned up and headed home. The weekend was not wasted and ended up having some fun on the water, now back to work, TOPS, not!

FOr anyone with kids that heads down that way, we were told about a great spot to take the kids for the day. It is called Honeymoon bay. You can't get your boat in there due to the rocks at the entrance, but you can get access to it through Beecroft Peninsula national park. IT has camping grounds for weekends only and it is one of the nicest spots you will ever see. Very protected, great swimming and lots of shade for the parents to sit and watch the kids play in the water. Well worth the excursion.

Have now learnt to add photos.

Edited by Deano35

Tough luck about the conditions, sounds like you had a good time anyway. At least you got a good days fishing out of it, cheers for the tip on Honeymoon bay.

Seems like there are plenty of flatties down there, they should be a good size in a few more months.

Deano,

Sounds like you had better weather then GT and myself. Only fished on Sunday for an hour before we got the SH**s and pulled the pin.

I might add that GT landed three nice whiting in that hour! He is a freak, I told him one more and we were going to swap sides of the boat!

Keep an eye on the water temp....its on the rise!

Nathan

Sounds like you enjoyed yourselves despite the

crappy conditions,and at least you got on a few fish.

:beersmile: penguin

Still had a good time, had to spend more time drinking, bugger that! :beersmile:

Deano,

Sounds like you had better weather then GT and myself. Only fished on Sunday for an hour before we got the SH**s and pulled the pin.

I might add that GT landed three nice whiting in that hour! He is a freak, I told him one more and we were going to swap sides of the boat!

Keep an eye on the water temp....its on the rise!

Nathan

Copy that, shame we couldn't get out together. THe water temp in the bay was just about 19 degrees, nearly dolphin fish temp.

Shame bout the weather, but Callala, jervis, Greenwell Point all very nice places to fish.

Is Beencroft Penisula also known as the tubes?

Beecroft Peninsula, from what I know is the coastline around the north head. The tubes are WW2 torpedo tubes that were put in place obviously to shoot enemy boats coming into the bay. They are located just inside the north head to the bay. If you come around the headland about 400 - 500 metres at a guess, they are there. The land swings around back to the north into another smallish bay. The fish are supposed to be plentiful there. BE careful if you ever go there as the point further inside the bay has rocky outcrop that comes out about 100 metres from the point. At low tide the rocks arn't exposed but you can see the swell pick up over them. THere probably should be a warning marker there, but there isn't.

Hope this helps. try the link below, it has some info about the peninsula.

http://www.deh.gov.au/parks/publications/a...3/beecroft.html

Honeymoon bay great spot - used to fish land based down in front of the point there, there is a little beach that the surfers love - only problem its a 30minute walk from the carpark (past the camping grounds) to the beach - just to see if the waves are on.

One time we drove down from Sydney to fish/camp the weekend only to find when we got there that the whole area was closed because the navy was doing exercizes :ranting2: should have checked first, and isnt the road in there bumpy - must have loosened every bolt in the old commodore.

Heres a map of the area

post-1705-1162955147_thumb.jpg

Edited by Aron

Honeymoon bay great spot - used to fish land based down in front of the point there, there is a little beach that the surfers love - only problem its a 30minute walk from the carpark (past the camping grounds) to the beach - just to see if the waves are on.

One time we drove down from Sydney to fish/camp the weekend only to find when we got there that the whole area was closed because the navy was doing exercizes :ranting2: should have checked first, and isnt the road in there bumpy - must have loosened every bolt in the old commodore.

Heres a map of the area

post-1705-1162955147_thumb.jpg

Aron, the road isn't the best but the Navy had thier tractor out when we went through and were grading some of the sections of road. I have a 4WD, so it wasn't that bad for me, better than some of the roads I have been on.

Edited by Deano35

My parents used to have a holiday house at Culburra and every school holidays we were down there fishing the Crookhaven or outside around 7 mile beach or Penguin Head.

Now that commercial netting is banned the fish should start to re-populate the rivers. Last time we fished the river we got nothing that was legal size. Each morning the prawn trawlers drag 7 mile beach which decimates the fish species as well.

I have also fished Beecroft Peninsula from the ledge and it is a top spot, but livies are a must.

The day we were there we couldn't catch any live bait (arrived before dawn), and left empty handed. At around 10am a kid turned up from Ulladulla with a bucket of live poddie mullet. Within 5 minutes he was pulling kingies in. Everyone that had live bait caught quality fish.

This area has lots of ledges which vary in height so you can keep well away from the waves.

There are lots of deep holes in Jervis Bay that are very productive.

This area is very nice, but it is always windy. You have to get out very early before the wind gets up.