Pittwater Today....

kilp

Well after reading alot of reports and advise from people, I decided to head out for Pittwater to try and downrigg myself my very first King Fish. Was in the water at 5.45am and off to get some squid. I was able to get 4 nice size squid in about an hour. Then off to stokes point to send down my squid on the rigger and troll around the moring. After about an hour and a half, the clip released and the reel screamed. Being the first time, I was excited as all hell, could'nt believe that this could be it, anyway after fighting this monster fish for a good 10mins, it decided to run inbetween to moored boats and then " ping" the line poped.

Man, I almost started crying. The optortunity I had been waiting for for 3 years, had just slip by again.

On a positive though, At least I got my first strike, this is the farthest I have ever been. I tell you this obsession with getting my first kingie is gona kill me. The only sad point is my young son wasnt there to see the action and the fish coming to at least 3 meters away from the boat, I guess I am just going to have to actually land one when I take the liitle one out next. :biggrin2:

cheers

kilp

Ha ha, I can relate to your frustration with trying to catch a King on the downrigger. Trust me, it will all be better once you land your first one.

Commiserations about the loss, but you are headed in the right track though. Won't be long until you nab your prey.

I am sure you little one will witness many more runs and captures. Good luck.

That hit from a kingie on a downrigger is something else isn't it???? There is nothing like it ..it is an addiction!!! :biggrin2:

By the way what type of tackle are you using? I would suggest that you use nothing less than 30lb braid. Also set your drag WITH scales to 40-50% of the breaking strain.ANd when you get that hit....drive the boat out of the moorings before laying it on the fish.This will get that fish in the boat!

Most people under set their drags by a fair amount. IF you aren't careful, these kings will laugh at your gear.

Don't worry you'll land plenty....and also lose a few more in the future.Cheers Kelvin

Edited by namesay

Mate,

Don't worry about the obsession. We've all had it. Took me over three years lots of lost fish and strain with the :wife: for my first jew and wow, first fish, off the beach 20kg. :thumbup: Made the local Manly Daily and all (Circa 1992) . Once you break the voodoo they come much easier.

Keep going.

Brian P.