Quick Session At Narra Lake Again

mrmoshe

Went to Narra Lake for a quick LB session at 1pm today looking for more big flatties.

No flatties wanted to play, but the bream were certainly on the chew.

Managed 5 , all around the 30cm mark on fresh whitebait. All were released except one,

which the ever present pelican who seems to always show up when I'm there, chased one of the released bream like a jet fighter on afterburners and scooped it up, swallowing it in one big gulp.

At least I tried to give it it's freedom. Aint' nature wonderful!

Good to see the bream back though as they've been few & far between lately.

Pete.

Went to Narra Lake for a quick LB session at 1pm today looking for more big flatties.

No flatties wanted to play, but the bream were certainly on the chew.

Managed 5 , all around the 30cm mark on fresh whitebait. All were released except one,

which the ever present pelican who seems to always show up when I'm there, chased one of the released bream like a jet fighter on afterburners and scooped it up, swallowing it in one big gulp.

At least I tried to give it it's freedom. Aint' nature wonderful!

Good to see the bream back though as they've been few & far between lately.

Pete.

Hey Pete,

Do you mind telling me how you rig your whitebait? Mine keeps coming off the hook when I cast as they seem very mushy.

Thanks.

Hey Pete,

Do you mind telling me how you rig your whitebait? Mine keeps coming off the hook when I cast as they seem very mushy.

Thanks.

Gang hooks (3) today. I have been using singles but had the same trouble.

Gangs sure did the trick nicely.

Pete.

Gang hooks (3) today. I have been using singles but had the same trouble.

Gangs sure did the trick nicely.

Pete.

What size hook do you use? By the way, how big are your whitebait? I think the ones I buy are terribly undersized (around 5cm?) and would not fit on a 3 gang hook setup.

Thanks.

What size hook do you use? By the way, how big are your whitebait? I think the ones I buy are terribly undersized (around 5cm?) and would not fit on a 3 gang hook setup.

Thanks.

I was using size 2/0 yesterday, but I usually tailor my hooks to the size of the baits.

Whitebait are usually about 7cm long, some smaller, but they fit a 3 gang rig nicely.

You can readily get gangs in most sizes, so a selection in your tackle box is always

a good idea and use whatever suits the bait.

Incidently, in the whitebait I purchased yesterday, there were mixed in, quite a few bluebaits which

the bream went for. I have never seen bluebaits in NSW before and wonder if the bait was

sourced from Victoria where I normally see bluebaits. They were all the same size as the whitebaits

but seemed to work well.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Pete

The whitebait are a pretty gun bait for big flatties i reckon, in narra lake at any rate. My PB for there is about the same as yours and from the same area i think (back half of the lake), and the big ones have all come on whitebait (although some fairly large, live poddy mullets i have sent out have been bitten in half quite a few times, im guessing by monster lizzards). they seem to hit the whitebait pretty hard rather than sitting on it, which i would guess is why ganging them works effectivley and as long as you can get the bait out there somehow they will generally hook themselves pretty easily (in my experiance anyway). they have pretty ordinatry vision so your bait preso isnt that important im my opinion.

Hey Pete,

Those monster flatties are out there. We did OK today and had similar experience with a pelican and a terminaly hooked pinkie. Pelican made fast work of him. Also i agree on whitebait being a top gun bait for flatties. I sometimes use a gang rig when drifting and a whitebait performs very well in this manner. Speak to you soon about a mid week flattie session in mid Harbour.

Hey Pete,

Those monster flatties are out there. We did OK today and had similar experience with a pelican and a terminaly hooked pinkie. Pelican made fast work of him. Also i agree on whitebait being a top gun bait for flatties. I sometimes use a gang rig when drifting and a whitebait performs very well in this manner. Speak to you soon about a mid week flattie session in mid Harbour.

Thanks Zenman..Yeah...looking forward to MH and perhaps a kingy or two.

Those pesky pelicans sure have it down pat and quick as a wink snaffling anything

within 3 metres of where they are.

Was going to Narra again today for another sesh. but just drove past and too many weekend warriors down

there today for my liking. Mid week and it's deserted, just how I like it.

Pete.