Middle Harbour 19/11/06

netic

Hey all,

Decided late last night that a trip to Middle Harbour was in order to try and chase down some muttha kings, called Downrigger and he said he was in so we planed a 5.00am start from the ramp.

We headed off and hit the squid grounds and were able to get 4 squid pretty quickly without much fuss, so we decided to head to the north head marker before we entered MH.

There things didnt go so well when we pulled up and noticed one squid was missing, the smallest one.....dammm but we popped another on and downrigged for a while before something strange happen, The rod buckled but it didnt look like a king hit, it was more like a snag as the drag was going out at the same speed as the boat but we were in 57ft of water and the rigger was down 17ft so that was impossible, we lost the rig and the squid and were left wondering what happened??????

With only 2 squid left we headed straight in to MH and started at Seafourth, five minutes into the run and my rod starts to bounce and not buckle.......Taylor....got my squid and took off......1 squid left now....very bad start to the morning.

We continue to downrigg and then Downrigger;s brand new T-curve buckles, and i mean buckles....it was screaming he grabs the rod and locks the drag as tight as the tekota 800 will allow but the fish still wont stop...10 seconds later pop........gone....we could only guess that this was a massive hoody as we have stopped 90cm kings no sweat with that reel.

Anyway all dissapointed we decide to go and get more squid and come back, head to the main harbour and luckyly get 4 more squid in 20 minutes, we stop off at CLifton gardens for some food and then head back in to the battlezone.

Five minutes into the run my rod buckles.....zzzzzzzzzzz......pop........f.....ck is all you could hear.....this one also could be stopped...this time on a Tyrnos 30 with 50lb mono.

With three squid left we continue.....20 minutes into another run Downriggers rod buckles and after she runs left, right, under the boat then around the downrigger bomb he lands the king, not large at around 78cm but we were just happy to get one aboard after our crap luck.

We did a few more runs and got 2 more kings (both undersize, both tagged and released)

So we end up with 2 massive bust offs, 1 weird ass bust off ( any one have any thoughts what happened at the first run), 1 x 78 cm king and 2 undersize kings.

Not the results i wanted but atleast we finally got some on board.....hard day at the office

Doesn't losing fish PISS you right off!!!! :1badmood: But you got a few and enjoyed the time on the water with good company. SOunds like a great day. That mysterious break off could have been anything. I have had some strange strikes on downriggers and have caught everything from sharks to cobia. Who knows??? Cheers KElvin

Nice king boys shame about the bust offs, I also lost 2x rigs with livies yesterday same as u have explained , super taught line then free with livie and rig gone. I was in 36m water with livie at 28m ,no snag. got me wondering.

Good report Netic, sounds like a lot of excitement for the day regardless of the fish caught ( or lost ).

Where did you get the squid mate? Any tips?

Tuffy

Mate at the moment there are squid all over the harbour and they are in good numbers, another mate of mine caught 11 on Saturday in quick time.

All you have to do is find some weed beds.

Wharfs with lights are always good at night

Great report and pictures, very nice fish as well.

You obviously have the squid location and technique sussed out, cause I only managed two squid in about an hour.

Bad luck about the bust ups, but that's what brings you back time after time.

What happened to the Snapper fishing? I thought you were chasing them this weekend?

Did anyone hear reports of more big reds being taken?

Great report and pictures, very nice fish as well.

You obviously have the squid location and technique sussed out, cause I only managed two squid in about an hour.

Bad luck about the bust ups, but that's what brings you back time after time.

What happened to the Snapper fishing? I thought you were chasing them this weekend?

Did anyone hear reports of more big reds being taken?

Mate we gave snapper fishing a go on Saturday and i failed miserably, Snapper fishing has a technique of its own i guess and i dont feel like spending 20 + trips to figure out how to get it right. And plus my stomach does not agree with offshore anchoring, if its moving im right but stationary im goneeeee.

I will stick with my pelagics and leave the big snappers to the guys that know how to get em, you never know i might get a decent red one day as a bi catch.

The xxxxxxxxxx were fishing for them on Sunday and when i spoke with him he had got a 3.5-4.0 kg one but i will leave that for the Dans to report, im sure they would have got a few more before the wind came in.

Edited by netic

I think you were pretty lucky with the squid or maybe we were unlucky! we hit all the usual grounds for a big fat zilch!!. Noticed a lot of tiny fellas that would not take a jig. Spoke to a few others out on Saturday and they all struggled as well.

That's fishing. I guess.

Duke

Hey Netic, bad luck with the kingies on Sunday. I was the guy you saw at Clifton Gardens squidding at around 7am. The squid continued to play hard ball even after you left. Nice to meet you anf hopefully see u on the water again.

We went back there to get a feed from the cafe and whilst Sal was getting the food i threw a casts and couldnt pull up any there.....some days it fires and others it doesnt....