Narooma

costello

Hello Raiders.

Heading down Narooma over x-mas and was after any info from anyone who's been down there. Got the Kingy rods ready to go and would like to get out to Montague to chase some down but i've heard the Narooma bar is one of if not the worst in the country (i have a 16ft half cabbie fibreglass). I heard you can get out there from Bermagui as well, how much further does this make the trip? Just wondering how the Wagonga inlet fishes as well. Any info would help my prep before i head down.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by costa

the wagonga is awesome and is great for tailor spinning and flathead fishing, i've crossed the bar a stack of times, as long as the swell is down its easy, its when there is some current running and a bit of swell, the biggest mistake people make is backing off when on the top of waves, thats how you stall an outboard and get stuck on sand, you're better off airborne than bogged.

as for montague, drift the north end with both jigs and yakkas/slimies you'll get on for sure!

Mark I guess we all have different views on bar crossings , personally I would not cross the Narooma bar in the Queen Mary. Perhaps not quiet , but it is one of the worst on the coast & needs the highest respect.

It may be calm early in the morning on a high tide but check it out from the breakwall around midday , low tide & a decent N/E blowing in

Waterways have a DVD on bar crossings , may be worth buying a copy.

Narooma has a very large lake system & can be very productive west of the bridge

Wallaga Lake. Only fished it once & unlike Gibbofisho found it very quiet. I understand it fishes best when the entrance is open & that may not be too often. If you want to do a bit of lake fishing stay in Narooma

Bermagui is my pick as there is no bar & the facilities are very good. Drive time , approx 25 - 30 min from Narooma.

The down side is that Montague is 22km from Bermi & only 6km from Narooma

Bermi ramps , Check out the "Boat Ramps " in the boating section. For your boat , suggest the ramp up river

Also , pay a visit to the servo directly across the road from the ramp , I think it is called Bridge Motors , they are a wealth of information.

Geoff