Fishing Time Watch

Guest DV8

A mate of mine recently showed me a watch made by casio which alledgedly predicted the bite time for freshwater species. I thought it was a load of bullshit when he showed me but to my amazement the fish did seem to be a bit more active in the predicted times over a period of a week. It somehow takes into account the phases of the moon.

Was wondering if anyone else has seen or used one. My mate also said it didn't really work for saltwater species.

cheers

davo

Hi guys

I have had my Casio 'fish n tide' watch (also known as Forrester) for about 6 years now. It works a beaut. My brother now has one, as does my neighbour! They are terrific for just glancing at & knowing the tides, the moon phase or even the 'bite time' (indicated by the number of fish showing on the dial!) They also tell the time! What a bonus.

My other brother has a Billabong one, but it is so big & bulky!

When that well-known shop has their '20 or 25% off' fishing gear (had one just the other week) - do yourself a favour & hop on down & grab one or two! They normally sell them for about $80 - so when the sale is on, it goes down to about $60! Which is cheap by any standard. The fact they keep you informed on the tides is a bonus! And it comes with a knot dvd as well. i prefer the canvas type band, personally.

Mine has been dunked in salt water (hundreds of hrs of worming) more often than not especially in the kayak! I even bought a spare one last sale, as the face has now become a bit scratched with time & I reckon it was cheaper than getting the face replaced!

You have to have the nearest lat/long bearing, plus how many hours you are from GMT. They are apparantly no good to you if you live in places like NT, where the tidal changes are so huge.

With daylight savings, it buggers it up a bit, but by changing the GMT one hr back or foward, it usually gets it to within the ball park figure of the tidal change. I use it as a 'guesstimation' only - so long as I am there just before high or low tide, I am happy. It doesn't have to show it to the last minute.

I leave mine on Sydney time anyway - so I know I have a 1/2hr leeway by the time it shows high tide as we are 1/2hr behind them. With Wallis lake 2 - 3hr behind, you just get used to reading that into it as well.

Cheers - a good chrissie pressie!

Roberta

Hi guys

I have had my Casio 'fish n tide' watch (also known as Forrester) for about 6 years now. It works a beaut. My brother now has one, as does my neighbour! They are terrific for just glancing at & knowing the tides, the moon phase or even the 'bite time' (indicated by the number of fish showing on the dial!) They also tell the time! What a bonus.

My other brother has a Billabong one, but it is so big & bulky!

When that well-known shop has their '20 or 25% off' fishing gear (had one just the other week) - do yourself a favour & hop on down & grab one or two! They normally sell them for about $80 - so when the sale is on, it goes down to about $60! Which is cheap by any standard. The fact they keep you informed on the tides is a bonus! And it comes with a knot dvd as well. i prefer the canvas type band, personally.

Mine has been dunked in salt water (hundreds of hrs of worming) more often than not especially in the kayak! I even bought a spare one last sale, as the face has now become a bit scratched with time & I reckon it was cheaper than getting the face replaced!

You have to have the nearest lat/long bearing, plus how many hours you are from GMT. They are apparantly no good to you if you live in places like NT, where the tidal changes are so huge.

With daylight savings, it buggers it up a bit, but by changing the GMT one hr back or foward, it usually gets it to within the ball park figure of the tidal change. I use it as a 'guesstimation' only - so long as I am there just before high or low tide, I am happy. It doesn't have to show it to the last minute.

I leave mine on Sydney time anyway - so I know I have a 1/2hr leeway by the time it shows high tide as we are 1/2hr behind them. With Wallis lake 2 - 3hr behind, you just get used to reading that into it as well.

Cheers - a good chrissie pressie!

Roberta

Roberta

Thanks for the first sensible reply

Davo