Pittwater/broken Bay

Guest Big-Banana

Guest Big-Banana

Gday Fellas,

Finally got to go out after Uni exams were done with. Headed out lateish, around 7:30am and got to West Head where we found hundreds of Sweep in our trail. Then suddenly it was full of Yakka's. You think we could get a few?

Ended up getting 2, and off we went to Scotland Is. to get to get a few squid. Couldn't raise one after not really giving it a good enough go and tried a few bays and seemed nothing was happening.

Trolled the Yakka around a few wrecks, briefly saw some surface activity from what was probably Tailor or Kings. Couldn't raise any fish but learnt lots about the down rigger and best ways to do things for future trips.

We wanted a feed so we gave the Flathead Grounds a go and pulled up small undersized duskies for about an hour. Told Dad to move out wider, and we ended up in 50m. We found a really good drift and pulled 6 fish up to about 70cm. Had a ball on the light squid gear. Got bitten off by a few Leatherjackets, and eventually came in at 2pm.

The bay was terrible, really rough stuff, I've never seen it like that, bloody NE

I've forgotten how good it is to go back to basics and catch a good feed. Flatties are good for that.

Cheers,

Anthony

post-16-1164431528_thumb.jpg

Guest IFishSick.

That closest Flattie looks like he'll have some nice fillets on him. You'll have to use your flattie magic for the upcoming social :1clap:

Guest Big-Banana

Great fish, mate! :yahoo: 70cm is a ripper... are they sandies or duskies? They're colured like duskies...

Flattieman.

They're duskies, I thought you'd know mr marine biologist :074:

bad luck.

you know times are tuff when you give the flathead grounds a go.

we trolled old squid strips on wednesday for king after king

you should have given the harbour a go

Not really tough, we just enjoy it. Hadn't done it for a few years so it was good to get a few good fish on light line.

Nothing wrong in getting back to basics and catching flathead. Its one of my favorite types of fishing, these days.

Pittwater can run hot and cold, sounds if you scored a cold day

Here’s to a better fishing of Pittwater on your next outing

Cheers

Martin

Guest Big-Banana

Could I ask Where are the Flattie Grounds?

I think that there is nothing as good as a flattie cooked on the barbie.

I usually start a drift at around 50m directly east of Barrenjoey. If your getting a few undersize fish go deeper.

The parachute helped as well, I like a drift of about 1-2knots max.

Good luck!

BTW the flattie went down excellent for lunch! :thumbup:

Here’s to a better fishing of Pittwater on your next outing

Cheers

Martin

Still got lots to learn, but enjoying this downrigging game :biggrin2: