Macs In Pittwater

Ads

Took the kids out on Pittwater for a fish last week end after realising that they wernt going to let me get away with my mid day kip after an early morning pig (drummer)session.

Wheather was good so what the hell we headed out.

Wasnt much happening on the drift so we decided to have a troll aroung the rocky shore line on the western side of pittwater as i thought we might pick up a few chopper tailor to keep the kids interested.

Things looked pretty quiet and then all of a sudden both rods go off. This kept me pretty busy for about 10 minutes trying to stop the kids tying each other in knots as both fish had the drags humming on their bream outfits.

After a couple of near misses close to the boat i finnally tailed two very nice spotted mackerel. Never seen bigger smiles on the kids faces........they were exstatic and PB's for both of them on any species.

Tried another couple of passes and dropped another three fish when the hooks pulled. Called it quits after a while and decided to get the macs on ice.

This raises a couple of questions:

Has any one ever seen Macs in pittwater before?

What other tropical species turn up around these parts from time to time?

spottie mackeral come down every year and spaniards usually mixed in with them

then there are the jacks, queenies and taropn that are usually found in queenscliff, manlly and other lakes/ lagoons around there (there are also a few GT's apparently)

then theres wahoo, cobia, sails and im not sure if these are around sydney anyway but longtail tuna

longtoms (but there fairly common)

thats all i can think of at the moment just don't get your hopes up there are a few but not alot of these species caught (i dont think )

Took the kids out on Pittwater for a fish last week end after realising that they wernt going to let me get away with my mid day kip after an early morning pig (drummer)session.

Wheather was good so what the hell we headed out.

Wasnt much happening on the drift so we decided to have a troll aroung the rocky shore line on the western side of pittwater as i thought we might pick up a few chopper tailor to keep the kids interested.

Things looked pretty quiet and then all of a sudden both rods go off. This kept me pretty busy for about 10 minutes trying to stop the kids tying each other in knots as both fish had the drags humming on their bream outfits.

After a couple of near misses close to the boat i finnally tailed two very nice spotted mackerel. Never seen bigger smiles on the kids faces........they were exstatic and PB's for both of them on any species.

Tried another couple of passes and dropped another three fish when the hooks pulled. Called it quits after a while and decided to get the macs on ice.

This raises a couple of questions:

Has any one ever seen Macs in pittwater before?

What other tropical species turn up around these parts from time to time?

Gday Ads

First of all congrats on getting onto those spotties, dont they go hard at the start, great work! :yahoo:

To answer your questions, there are generally Spotty captures every year in Broken Bay and Pittwater, however their appearance seems governed almost entirely on the East Australian current pushing warm, tropical, nutrient water south from the QLD coast.

When we get a big lick of real blue stuff in the summer it generally brings a plethora of baitfish, which in turn can bring numbers of Spotties, Cobia (and offshore big dolphin fish and Marlin) to name just a few.

I must say, it seems that it's usually later on in summer (late summer being the time when the current usually runs the hardest against the Syd coast) when they start to show and even then it's pretty sporadic at the best of times.

A couple of years ago, they were being caught regularly as far upstream as the still waters of Cowan Creek, so they can show up anytime anywhere.

That's what I've managed to piece together myself, I'm sure others will be able to add more.

Well done again.

Cheers

Ben

Guest danielinbyron

WOW what a surprize bonus..they would have been hectic on bream gear.

????? isn't it a bit early?? this time of year.I thought they were end of summer autumn fish.

Spotties are becoming a more regular species in sydney....the greenhouse effect is making waters warm enough for them. They turn up during summer and can be here one day and gone the next.

By the way mackeral beach was so named because of the run of spotties...told to me by Pete le blang.

You get lots of tropical species in summer and I expect more and more as the waters warm up.

There will he HEAPS of frigate mackeral soon as well. They are a bit harder to catch as they can be fixated on small bait. ALso you'll get amberjacks mixed in with the kings. Cheers Kelvin

Spotties are becoming a more regular species in sydney....the greenhouse effect is making waters warm enough for them. They turn up during summer and can be here one day and gone the next.

By the way mackeral beach was so named because of the run of spotties...told to me by Pete le blang.

You get lots of tropical species in summer and I expect more and more as the waters warm up.

There will he HEAPS of frigate mackeral soon as well. They are a bit harder to catch as they can be fixated on small bait. ALso you'll get amberjacks mixed in with the kings. Cheers Kelvin

We saw a school of Frigates in Syd harbour 2 yrs ago,

they were ravaging the baitfish,and nothing else,a boat beside us

foul hooked one and thats the only capture I witnessed.

:beersmile: penguin

Early this year i caught a few frigates that were hanging around a moored boat. We were prefishing for bream and the boat we hit was surrounded by fine weed. Just so happens that the "fine weed" surrounding the boat was not but a massive school of baitfish and then as i brought the lure back to the boat, SLAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've caught a Giant Herring about two years ago in the Parra river, dont know what he was doing up in that river but he put up a great fight!! I have pics if one would like to see..

DAN

I've caught a Giant Herring about two years ago in the Parra river, dont know what he was doing up in that river but he put up a great fight!! I have pics if one would like to see..

DAN

Yes please dan, would be good to see a pic.

cheers james

Edited by Flightmanager

Those frigates are tough to tempt on a lure. You see them all the time but they refuse everything. Caught a few on stick baits and the good ole white bait fished un weighted. They run like blazes on light gear and fight clean. Great fun...kids just love them> Cheers Kelvin

this new year on fly we caught a few frigates and bonito-both watsons and pacific.but the biggest buzz was seeing

two 15 lb plus longtail tuna off south head.I catch them in weipa each year and they were unmistakable & they

were motoring too fast to catch them.I agree with namesay, with greenhouse our waters will become more tropical and I won't have to go to queensland for these species!

I reckon a fly would be the ideal way to tempt these frigates when they are feeding on small stuff. Also kings as well...now that I think about it...salmon....HEY can you cast a fly on 50lb braid? CHeers KElvin

I caught a 65cm spotted mackeral at soldiers point on the troll with some cd-9's dragging out the back of the boat in JULY this year!!! I was a bit suprised and not sure if I was seeing right, but after some research, yep a spotted mackeral in WINTER (i have some photos of it too). A week after that I saw an excited guy land one bait fishing in the very same area.

The water was also rather cold so I still don't now what they were doing there.

Kingy

Guest Big-Banana

I reckon a fly would be the ideal way to tempt these frigates when they are feeding on small stuff. Also kings as well...now that I think about it...salmon....HEY can you cast a fly on 50lb braid? CHeers KElvin

I find that the River 2 Sea lures work great, Ive got this small one about an inch long Ive got Frigates on before. But one you catch them and open it up its amazing how small the bait is that they're actually hitting.

Those frigates are tough to tempt on a lure. You see them all the time but they refuse everything.

Yeah it can be frustrating a ttimes, i was getting them about 3 times out of 5 on the little 7g river 2 sea searocks.

Changes the trebles to a single and bobs your uncle (always wanted to say that :tease: )

Can i ask what lures did the damage? Rapala CD-9's by any chance? And were they caught in front of the Basin? Mate got some exactly this time last year, at above place with above lures.