Longreef Sunday

Guest Sea Jay

Guest Sea Jay

Sunday we launched from the rosebay ramp at 5.00am, and on arrival at the ramp we were greeted with a 15-20 knot wind which was a little off putting, put we persisted, put the boat in the water and headed around to watsons bay in search of some livies.

The lives where hard to come by w pulled up everything put yakkas (Red rock cod, sweep, bream, trevalley and a heap of other ooglies (Has anyone ever used Trevs as lives?????). Then finally we found a patch and go a few in the tank, it was getting last so we headout and trolled a spread of divers and skirts south to the end of the head land for zilch and then darted out to longreef found a nice bit a structure so put the downrigger out and trolled livies around for nothing we had other lines out on the bottom and they where constantly catching ooglies and small snapper.

It getting on just before lunch and we hadn't got a decent fish so the decision was made to move, moved to another mark with fish on the sounder so put the anchor out and hit the bottom, got some more ogglies and then a few undersize kings which where good fun on light gear, the my mates 15kg stick with a livie on it gets smashed and off it goes the called that it wasnt a king was made early, but it was putting up and almighty fight after a solid 50-60 mins and 2.5m shark breaks the surface at an approx weight of 100 kg it put up an awsome fight my mate had to sit down for 20 mins to recover as it dragged him all around the boat, after this the boat next to us also caught a much samller shark after that the pulled the anchor and left.

Not 5 mins after they left all our lines got hit and we boated 2 kings 1 80cm and 1 undersize over the next hour we boated another 3 80cm kings until we ran out of lives as some died if we had more lives we would have got more fish we put dead yakkas down and dead squid but they wouldnt touch it, the sea started to pick up so we pulled the anchor and headed home on the way back we saw a couple of schools of kings working we tried to work one but they were not interested.

All in all a good day fishing the weather was a bit rough but i find that i catch more in the rougher weather compared to the calm stuff.

Edited by Sea Jay

Well done dude,

sounds like u braved the conditions perfect :thumbup:

not many ppl headed out on sunday im sure ur baby handled the conditions well..

great work some good size to the kings there mate....

keep up the gr8 work ...

did u get the kings on the DR or what was the method?

talk soon

cheers stevo :1fishing1:

Guest Sea Jay

Thanks for the comments fellas the weather was less than ideal but i have found that i get more fish in the rougher conditions, and also with a bit of chop and cloud cover that more fish are on the surface.

James

I was just using snapper leads i had a bit of tangle with the downrigger so it was out of action, all sorted now though.

Namesay

I will definatly have to give the trevs a go next time i through them back i, but they where ideal size.

I am about to add some pics of the shark

Guest Big-Banana

I have downrigged when stationary before, that way i am not fighting the weight i am just fighting the fish.

Yeah, its a good idea mate. Nothing drowns out a fight more than 1kg of lead :thumbdown:

Yeah, its a good idea mate. Nothing drowns out a fight more than 1kg of lead :thumbdown:

Ive used my downrigger when stationary. The current was raging and didnt want to use too much lead so threw out an unwaited squid then clipped on the downrigger. Had the bait waving around in a 20m arc, much better than I could do with any sinker and you can gaurantee that it was holding mid water.

Edited by ko76