Catching Hoodlums In Sydney Harbour

namesay

I have a 3.0 litre Pajero which I use to tow my 4.3M Haines fibreglass boat. As it is geared low , it uses a bit more fuel , but even on big hills I only need to go back one gear. 4 wheel discs pull us up easily , and I have the luxury of 4WD for those slippery ramps. Being a large vehicle , we dont get "pushed around" by the boat , very stable !!

Ross

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:1yikes::1yikes: must be one awesome car your getting namesay..

My dad tows our half cabin around with a jeep Cherokee limited. Never had a problem with towing or even slipping on a ramp(hardly ever have it in 4x4 mode either).

It got a 4litre straight six so has plenty of power, but we should be upgrading to a turbo diesel ute sometime soon hopefully because of these fuel prices.

The jeep used 16-18litres per hundred which is the only down side to the car.

:1yikes::1yikes: must be one awesome car your getting namesay..

My dad tows our half cabin around with a jeep Cherokee limited. Never had a problem with towing or even slipping on a ramp(hardly ever have it in 4x4 mode either).

It got a 4litre straight six so has plenty of power, but we should be upgrading to a turbo diesel ute sometime soon hopefully because of these fuel prices.

The jeep used 16-18litres per hundred which is the only down side to the car.

Just got delivery of the new Mercedes GL. a couple of weeks ago. I got the turbo diesel. It is a HUGE car. Makes a landcruiser look small. Has full off road ability with low range gears but has a SMOOTH 7 speed auto with constant 4wd.

I got the 19 inch wheels, not for its looks but so I can fit bigger brakes. ALso has seating for 7 full sized adults. The best part is that it sips fuel at a miserly 9-11litres per 100km. Has much better finish than older merc 4wd's.

Only problem is that the tow kit hasn't been approved for australia. Has a towing capability of 3500kg. WIll have to wait a few more weeks for the tow kit...should be perfect for my new boat. Currently use an E class station wagon as a tow vehicle. Great car! Does the job exceptionally well. Even 445f thinks so .

Have 5 cars at the moment so gave a couple away to my brother!!!Lessened the fuel bill by a whole heap. CHeers Kelvin

What an absolute ripper of a Kingy :1yikes:

Mate very very well done :thumbup:

:beersmile: penguin

WOuld have got a bigger one only if I had some prawns!!! :thumbup: Cheers KElvin

Edited by namesay

Just got a jigwrex overhead rod rated for 4PE. What a fine piece of graphite this is. Can't wait to try it out but my kids have not let me touch it yet!! These Japanese jig rods have changed all my old thoughts on what made a good rod..very reasonably priced especially compared to the Daiwa Saltiga range. Awesome. Cheers KElvin

Just got a jigwrex overhead rod rated for 4PE. What a fine piece of graphite this is. Can't wait to try it out but my kids have not let me touch it yet!! These Japanese jig rods have changed all my old thoughts on what made a good rod..very reasonably priced especially compared to the Daiwa Saltiga range. Awesome. Cheers KElvin

what reel will u be running on it?

cheers stevo :1fishing1:

I'lll put on my torsa. This outfit is very light in weight but has all the stopping power so is excellent for my children. I prefer the extra length of the T curve bluewater series but the jigwrex is perfect with the Torsa.

I also have the T curve 400 jig series. A great rod but the jigwrex is a lot lighter ..can't get it off my kids. CHeers KElvin

Only problem is that the tow kit hasn't been approved for australia. Has a towing capability of 3500kg. WIll have to wait a few more weeks for the tow kit...should be perfect for my new boat. Currently use an E class station wagon as a tow vehicle. Great car! Does the job exceptionally well. Even 445f thinks so .

Yep I can vouch for that, the E Class wagon does it with ease, plenty of pulling power - even with my fat arse in it.

Hey Kelvin,what engine have you got in your GL and E class,

wouldnt be the 55 AMG version would it?

:beersmile: penguin

Not a fan of the AMG cars. If you want a sports car then GET a Sports car!!! Not a souped up sedan. Cheaper to get a HSV. AMG stands for UNDERSTEER.

Used to race old BMW's when I was younger. My cousins are in the auto business in the US so know a thing or two about cars. My E class is a V6 petrol. Does the job and doesn't sip too much gas.

The GL has a 3 litre turbo diesel. One of the best diesels ever made in my book. Smooth, lots of torque and can rev almost like a petrol . COuldn't tell you are in a diesel car. The best car is my S class. Does everything without fuss.Cheers Kelvin

Kelvin, I think maybe we should meet up in the new year as we have seen big big kings up North. Perhaps we could swap some notes!

Regards Jaybee.

From where abouts are you from Jaybee? I used to live up in Caves Beach. Lots of hoods around there. Sydney isn't too bad as a fishing spot but love to live in NZ. But I guess our kings are harder to get so more satisfying when we do get one. Learning to fish in a tough neighbourhood like Sydney means that the techniques can be employed in other areas.

I was watching those guys in SA who target the MONSTER hoods in the gulf areas. Saw some guys fishing near a power station in water only 2-4 meters deep. The water was a filthy brown/green but they were getting 30-40KG kingies. They too use squid as the gun bait. I would think cuttle fish are even better at getting the larger fish. ALway treasure the cuttlies when I get one! Seem to always get the largest fish of the day. Cheers Kelvin

I was watching those guys in SA who target the MONSTER hoods in the gulf areas. Saw some guys fishing near a power station in water only 2-4 meters deep. The water was a filthy brown/green but they were getting 30-40KG kingies. They too use squid as the gun bait. I would think cuttle fish are even better at getting the larger fish. ALway treasure the cuttlies when I get one! Seem to always get the largest fish of the day. Cheers Kelvin

Mate, did you get Sport Fishing magazine (the one edited by Mensforth these days) a year or so back? It's got a few articles on kingy fishing in South Australia, especially near the Port Augusta power station. Lots of great pics of 30-40kg models. I can make you a copy of the articles if you're interested.

cheers

Mate, did you get Sport Fishing magazine (the one edited by Mensforth these days) a year or so back? It's got a few articles on kingy fishing in South Australia, especially near the Port Augusta power station. Lots of great pics of 30-40kg models. I can make you a copy of the articles if you're interested.

cheers

Thanks for your offer!!! I have seen the articles concerned and some DVD's by Mensforth. It is quite incredible really when you have a look at the size of the fish these guys get in such shallow water! CHeers Kelvin