Sydney Kings 02/12/06

netic

Hey fellas,

Well as scheduled we hit the water this Saturday morning with the idea to hit MH for some kings.

Went out Friday night for a Gym Christmas party and me and Downrigger didnt get back home till 1.30am....we decided to not sleep (as we knew we wouldnt get up in 2 hours) so we decided to get a kebab and then head to Rose Bay.

We managed to get some quick squid pretty easy.....got 6 in under 40 minutes so we were pretty happy.....being extremely tired we tried to sleep but could so we waited till daybreak and then headed into MH.

As we were heading in i was chatting to a mate over the phone and he informed me that Kelvin had posted a report late friday night., 1 Metre king...so we were pretty pumped.

Got there and went directly the spot we lost a couple of biggens a couple of weeks back.

Got the downriggers set and off we went.....Could see plenty of acticity on the sounder but no takers but we persisted and continued to make passes over the area...after around ten or so passes we got hit and we were on, I grab the t-curve and were off and racing.

Had a quick fight and boated a king of around 73cm.......worked the same area and got 2 more which were released, both around 70cm.

So then we started downrigging again to see the last thing any Fisho downrigging wants to see...small littles pecks at our riggers......pulled up and squid and the head was gone..threw another down and the same happened five minutes later and then the same to the third........3 perfectly good squid wasted....spewing, Tailor i presume were the perputrators.

Now its around 8.00am we we are both really tired...(no sleep does that)....so we decide to try for a little more squid and then go, Went to a few places and caught one massive squid (45cm) at our final place and thought lets give it one more try for kings.

We move back to another area where we saw activity before and downrigg this massive bastard....sounder shows nothing but fish but we get no hook ups, so we decide to just anchor on top of it and throw its head down....within minutes we get smacked but we lost this fish due to spat hook....felt like a rat anyway so we werent to fussed....We then decided to call it a day as we were both barely awake.

i was quite dissapointed as i havent been able to get a hoody this season thus far, Hopefully will get a MH Hoodlum soon, Am quite new to MH and it seems to be a great place to downrigg ( Thanks Kelvin for the intro to MH) and am starting to find a few holes and rises so im pretty optimistic about getting a big one from there soon.

Also saw a few of raiders out on the water

Peking Duck and 445f, hope you guys did well and good to see yas again, also saw Kilp on a charter boat and i know they did well.

I nearly fell asleep a few times driving back home in the car so i definately dont recommend no sleep fishing to anyone

Here's a couple of pics of the one we kept

i was quite dissapointed as i havent been able to get a hoody this season thus far, Hopefully will get a MH Hoodlum soon, Am quite new to MH and it seems to be a great place to downrigg ( Thanks Kelvin for the intro to MH) and am starting to find a few holes and rises so im pretty optimistic about getting a big one from there soon.

It may not be the Hoodlum you were after Netic, but that is a beautiful fish in anyones opinion.

WTG :thumbup: Now get some sleep

Congrats on some fine fish. No worries you'll get that MH hood real soon . Just leave a few there for me! :1prop: . I am glad that the sounder is working well for you. That Garmin is a great unit....perfect for kingies! You could looka bit happier in the photos...sleep or no sleep!!!!Cheers Kelvin

Congrats on some fine fish. No worries you'll get that MH hood real soon . Just leave a few there for me! :1prop: . I am glad that the sounder is working well for you. That Garmin is a great unit....perfect for kingies! You could looka bit happier in the photos...sleep or no sleep!!!!Cheers Kelvin

Mate im not the most photo genic person...always seem to look confused in Photos....

nice report netic.

nice looking king but mate do you looked tired in the pic.hope you got some sleep after all that

Mate you should have seen my mate...he looked way more tired.....he sleep yesterday arvo at 2.00pm and just woke up this morning at 8.00am....

good fish mate!

its not a good idea to get out fishing after a big day but what other choices do we have when its 2 late to get sleep!

Good to see you guys making a good day out of it as today isnt as good to get out.

Tight lines .. R_zee

Great fish there Netic, was great to see you guys on the water. By the way, I have tried that no sleep thru to fishing and It kills me for days, its like my body cops a hammering till it is able to recuperate.

cheers

kilp

Nice fish, and your no sleep option shows how keen a fisho you are. Most of us have done something similar, good to see such dedication to the craft. You just need to be more careful on the water and road.

You did well on the squid side of things. We squidded for hours for zip, and other boats looked like they had troubles getting squid too.

We got some yakkas and tried outside, no luck. My mate burleyed the fish, so we had to come inside.

A hard days work for no reward, won't stop us from getting out there again next weekend though.

Edited by 445F

well done there mate nice kings..

that hood will come soon enough..

i headed out to the bay yesty with seajay all geared up to try my new DR

morning started off shi+ the night be4 i took my downrigger inside and left the pin in the swivel mount

then iin the mornin when i left i put the DR in the car once i got to the ramp i got the DR out and went to set

her all up and then relising i frickn left the pin in the night be4 and it must of slipped out whilst drivin to the ramp.. :ranting2: boy was i cursing...

only best thing that came out of yesty trip was the squid that i caught although none could be convertd 2 kings still betterd my squidding skills :thumbup:

so all in all a crap day for me...

steve

Guest danielinbyron

dig the dual downriggers,

what are we calling a hoodlum ie 5kg +10kg.. i saw a post by donna a while ago "i think" that had a 24kg +land based ..??

dig the dual downriggers,

what are we calling a hoodlum ie 5kg +10kg.. i saw a post by donna a while ago "i think" that had a 24kg +land based ..??

Yeah im one of the few people that run duals....ones an offshore rigger and the other is a 1050......allows me to cover the column well.

I consider a hoodlum to be 10kg+

24kg is just a fricken monster

Edited by netic

I use length...anything from 100cm onwards is a hood. Hard to weigh them if you want to release them. The latest one I got would have nudged 110- 115cm....don't know for sure what weight ...in my definition a hoodlum.

But those guys in NZ , SA , Lord Howe may have another definition!!! Cheers Kelvin.

Edited by namesay

Good to catch up with you again mate.

Well done on the kings...and on getting those squid.

We tried everywhere for hours for them and couldn't raise a single one.

Hit a school of salmon just off north head, but they were pretty flighty and took off for the depths.

Got a tank full of yakkas and trolled out to bluefish and back for one massive reef fish. Not sure what it was.

Then spent the rest of the morning trying for squid again, before calling it quits.

How'd the new sounder go ?

Top fish mate!

Roughly how far away from the moored boats are you trolling/downrigging?

Are the kingies hanging under the boats or a couple of metres away from the boats?

DAN

Mate these kings were caught between 2 boats......on what looks like a reef/wreck....slight bump in the floor and there was alot of bait fish holding there...we just kept on downrigging past them till we got the hook ups.

Mate the sounder did great...really impressed with it...especially the seafloor detail....saw things i had never seen before

You will be very happy with yours when you get it

I TOLD YOU SO!!!!! :biggrin2::thumbup::yahoo: How are the settings? I hope those settings are OK. It took me several weeks of twiddling to get them!!! CHeers Kelvin

Edited by namesay

I TOLD YOU SO!!!!! :biggrin2::thumbup::yahoo: How are the settings? I hope those settings are OK. It took me several weeks of twiddling to get them!!! CHeers Kelvin

Did fiddle with them a bit, could raise the gain an addtional 5% without getting any crap on the screen.....

But overall im impressed with the unit