Inhlanzi You Ripper

Reel-em-in

I am sure many of you will understand the presure when it is expected to get a fish for a barbie organised by the :wife:

Being boatless at the moment I managed to talk Inhlanzi into a quick session on Saturday morning....maybe for a Jew. both of us had to be back at home by lunch time so it was only going to be a short session.

Inhlanzi had about 5 KG's of fresh slimeys for the trip and the first stop just before high tide was at spot X. Unbeleivably the peckers ruined every bait dropped to the bottom. I fished a seperate rod for liveys in the hope to get a livie down to avoid baiting up constantly.

Instead of a livie I managed to catch a Cobia. I am not an expert at these things but I was very surprized :wacko: to catch a Cobia in the Hawskesbury River. i would appreciate some comments from the clan about this.

Back to the report :1prop: The tide changed and we were of to spot Y. Baits down and nothing not even peckers. We decided to wait it out when I saw Mike pulling up something heavy. The first call was Eel and two head shakes later we decided it was a flathead. I got the net ready just incase. When he fish turned on the surface I looked at the net that was only about 25CM deep and 35CM in radius :thumbdown: Better get the Gaff.

Catching big flathead is definately a very reasonable expectation when fishing for Jews with big baits. Normally we let them go but remember the :wife: was expecting something for the table.

No batteries in the camera and Inhlanzi had to go. Managed to get batteries from the Foxtel remote to take a quick snap before the fillet knife went to work.

My daughter (13) was kind enough to pose with this baby croc.

thanks for the morning out Mike it was good to get on the water after the stresses of the Car Crash.

Cheers

Reel-em-in

Joe

post-2233-1165139777_thumb.jpg

post-2233-1165139820_thumb.jpg

Edited by Reel-em-in

Cobia are usually caught in summer in the Hawkesbury when the time is right, looks like it was the right time. Not many, but they are caught there, workmate last season got 3 next to me at the Jspot all about 70cm.

Just a question, you the same Reel-Em-In that fished the Hawkesbury classic, twin hull, 500 rods hanging off your boat? :1prop: Isaw you a few times out there, you may not have been fishing the classic but were out that weekend?

The pic did not work, nice flatty anyway.

Congrats, That is one mother of a lizard. What was the length. Last year we got two just under 1m length in MH. We are going for one like that at over 1m length. A few months ago we caught a Cobia also in middle harbour. It was under sized and lost so we put in back and pushed of towards the heads.

Way to go. You will get my vote this month if you post that monster. How long was the Cobia?

Hello Joe I hope all is good and it is good to see you are back on your feet.

Did you two happen to sleep out on the boat on the weekend as I was on the northern beaches and could hear what I thought was constant thunder storms. Now i am certain it was not the thunder storms.

Fella Fenatics,

Muzz, no mate you are speculating about urban myths again. We were on the water at 5:30 and were back at home by 12:30 on Saturday. Must have been reel thunder. (good name for a boat) :tease:

The cobia was around the 70CM mark. Tha flatie measured 915CM. What impressed me about this fish was the width and how fat it was. Let me add tasty to that last remark :1prop:

Cheers

Joe

Reel-em-in