Mystery Of Failing Bilge Pump

ophet

Hi all,

The bilge pump that I use for the bait tank died the other day, and I installed a new one - actually replaced it with the same Johnson pump.

Took it onto the water on the weekend, and it worked fine for a while, then it pumped water in spurts and died again.

Now, I think it is too much of a coincidence that the pumps died so close to one another. I am guessing there is something wrong with the electricals or the pump is sucking up the bread burley we are using and either blows a fuse or dies cause of the blockage.

Any thoughts, suggestions of tips would be good.

Should I look to install a different type of pump?

Cheers.

My first thoughts are that this is normal for Johnson pumps.

IMO they are utter crap. I went through 4 in under 12 months. I have 2 for bait tanks & 1 for bilge. I've replaced them all with Rule pumps and 2.5 years later still going strong.

Cut your loses mate & for safety sake, replace them crappy Johnson pumps with Rule's & you won't look back.

Mate i use johnson pumps and although they may not be a quality pump for 2 years it has done the job for me,

I have put flyscreen over the sucking part to stop crap going in so you may wanna try that.

Or as mentioned, Just buy a better brand

I just bought a johnson pump for my brand new live well.

I hope i don't have the same bad luck with them as you did.

And thanks netic, i will put something over the inlet to stop crap getting inside the impeller and inside the tank itself.

Thanks for the tips guys !! I think I might buy a rule pump, and stick fly screen mesh over it.

Does the rule come with a mount? Any recommendations on the type or size should I get for my bait tank, I have the large external bait tanks from Whitworths. Would the 1100 GPH one be sufficient?

Cheers.

Guest fishrunner

For the bait tank 500gph is heaps, I've got 3 rule pumps and have had them for over 3 yrs easy without any probs besides a cleanout a few times. :biggrin2: .

One thing I learn't is don't let deckies use wholemeal bread in the burley as when the bait purges themselves in the well the seeds swell and cause dramas :074: , took me an hr to get em all out of the recirculating pump :(

But for bilge as Jewel said bigger the better :biggrin2:

With pumps you can NEVER buy too big!

:beersmile:

Edited by fishrunner

Cheers again for the tips, you guys rock. I saw a thread about Fishraider being a top site with helpful people, it surely is. Many people with heaps of experience, willing to lend a hand and share their knowledge.

Will be getting a Rule pump around the 700GPH mark.

Cheers.

Besides a dodgy pump , be very wary of corrosion in the wiring.Any wiring in a salt atmosphere will corrode even if it isnt in the water .I have seen lots of cases of pumps, sounders etc cutting in and out when all joins look good and are taped properly.

I have only ever used Rule pumps and can say they heve performed well . I take boat out every week and sometimes twice weekly. the only time i had one fail was when one picked up some seeds from a burley mix that tipped over on deck. But now have mesh grill fitted to pump to stop this happening again, a bracket is available for external pumps for Bait Tank Eg. but my bilge is just sicaflexed to deck , both having mesh grills as an extra fitted. Way to go i think Cheers Dave

I have only ever used Rule pumps and can say they heve performed well . I take boat out every week and sometimes twice weekly. the only time i had one fail was when one picked up some seeds from a burley mix that tipped over on deck. But now have mesh grill fitted to pump to stop this happening again, a bracket is available for external pumps for Bait Tank Eg. but my bilge is just sicaflexed to deck , both having mesh grills as an extra fitted. Way to go i think Cheers Dave

Cheers, thanks Dave. I ended up getting a 800GPH Rule pump, with a mount and mesh grill. The mesh looked a little too large, so I am hoping it will stop the bread getting into the pump. Perhaps I should just not turn it on when I am burleying.

Hopefully the Rule will do the job.

Cheers guys.