Big Blackies At Port Macquarie

arpie

Hi guys

Just spent 2 days at Port Macq - rained all Sunday, but Monday was gorgeous, so took out my 'travel blackie outfit' (collapsible 10ft Shimano with smaller float than normal) & tossed it in at the fishing co-op, around from the big jetty. There is stacks of parking, public loo just behind you & no rocks to climb!

Got a nice blackie first cast (about 30cm) -but as I was fishing for fun, not for food, I tossed it back. Seconds later, a big cormorant got it but it was too big for it to swallow - so a pelican challenged him for it - and the pelican got it instead! They then both hung round for the next hour or so that I was there. I had not packed my net .... a decision I was to regret later!

I then hooked 3 really nice ones (around thed 40cm mark) that all got off because I didn't have a net & they threw the hook as I tried to lift them in on 6lb line. By this time, I'm thinking, I really should have brought that net & was wondering if I could use the small collapsible tripod chair to 'net' them, when, whack, I hooked a whopper - it would have been at least the same size as 'my best' 45cm (see http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/inde...howtopic=15916) - the presure on the rod & line was immense and somehow it snuck the line thru the smallest gap in the hook & got off, hook still attached, but the loop unbroken! I had it on for a good 3 minutes & the rod was bent in half, trying to keep it clear of the structure. I know where I will fish the next time I go to Port!

If you decide to fish there, it would be better to fish Mon-Fri and avoid the holiday periods, as it is full of 'tackle rats' on the weekends & hols! I was fishing the out tide (it is so slow there, you can fish the whole tide change) and I would imagine it would fish well on the in tide as well. I was using Forster weed.

I was amazed that I had the place to myself! A couple of fisher folk came along when I had the whopper on & were really impressed, so I think my secret is well & truly out! Only one of them was 'into' blackies.

Also, two 10 year olds got a 6lb & 2lb flattie, plus 3 nice bream on pillies off the Port breakwall during the rain on Sunday afternoon! Incredible! And they were using overheads and no net! I'm jealous.

Cheers for now

Roberta

Hi guys

Just spent 2 days at Port Macq - rained all Sunday, but Monday was gorgeous, so took out my 'travel blackie outfit' (collapsible 10ft Shimano with smaller float than normal) & tossed it in at the fishing co-op, around from the big jetty. There is stacks of parking, public loo just behind you & no rocks to climb!

Got a nice blackie first cast (about 30cm) -but as I was fishing for fun, not for food, I tossed it back. Seconds later, a big cormorant got it but it was too big for it to swallow - so a pelican challenged him for it - and the pelican got it instead! They then both hung round for the next hour or so that I was there. I had not packed my net .... a decision I was to regret later!

I then hooked 3 really nice ones (around thed 40cm mark) that all got off because I didn't have a net & they threw the hook as I tried to lift them in on 6lb line. By this time, I'm thinking, I really should have brought that net & was wondering if I could use the small collapsible tripod chair to 'net' them, when, whack, I hooked a whopper - it would have been at least the same size as 'my best' 45cm (see http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/inde...howtopic=15916) - the presure on the rod & line was immense and somehow it snuck the line thru the smallest gap in the hook & got off, hook still attached, but the loop unbroken! I had it on for a good 3 minutes & the rod was bent in half, trying to keep it clear of the structure. I know where I will fish the next time I go to Port!

If you decide to fish there, it would be better to fish Mon-Fri and avoid the holiday periods, as it is full of 'tackle rats' on the weekends & hols! I was fishing the out tide (it is so slow there, you can fish the whole tide change) and I would imagine it would fish well on the in tide as well. I was using Forster weed.

I was amazed that I had the place to myself! A couple of fisher folk came along when I had the whopper on & were really impressed, so I think my secret is well & truly out! Only one of them was 'into' blackies.

Also, two 10 year olds got a 6lb & 2lb flattie, plus 3 nice bream on pillies off the Port breakwall during the rain on Sunday afternoon! Incredible! And they were using overheads and no net! I'm jealous.

Cheers for now

Roberta

Roberta

Another tip!! Get a hold of "siglon" 6 lb trout fishing line. Its great for blackfishing leaders. Its incredibly thin and durable. for its breaking strain. the guys who bait fish for trout don't use anything else.

Davo