Sydney's Full Moon Kings.

namesay

I'll try and field that question Dan, as I reckon Kelvin must be getting writer's cramp by now!!

Anyway, if he wants to correct me he most certainly can.

These are my tips for shallow water squidding:

1. Location, location, location. Squid will almost always be found in areas where there is a broken weedy bottom. Could be patchy reef with kelp, could be seagrass beds with sand/gravel patches in between or could be the edge of a headland where the reef meets sand - but they need the weed as protection during the day. These areas are generally visible with the naked eye - i.e. I don't sound around for squidding areas - I look for them. I will only rarely fish for squid in an area that is so deep that I can't make out the bottom (although other Raiders may correct me on this).

Honestly Dan - ANY area like this has the potential for squid. They are more common than you would think, just find an area and work it with the jigs. There's lots of these areas in Pittwater and the Harbour.

The other locations to bear in mind are wharfs or bridges that are illuminated at night. Squid will generally congregate in any area at night where there is light on the water. Places like the Spit Bridge, Rose Bay wharf, the pool at North Bondi, Newport wharf in Pittwater - ANYWHERE where you can see a combination of light on the water and the terrain noted above will be worth a shot.

2. The squid will come all the way in to shore. When fishing from a boat I will try to get the jig as close to shore as possible with each cast. When landbased I will always leave the jig to drift at my feet for a few seconds before pulling it out - it's amazing how many squid will appear to eat a free-drifting jig right underneath you. In fact, when squidding at Rose Bay, I've had the squid swim up and over the steps trying to catch the jig.

3. WIND is the big squidding turn-off when shallow water fishing. Squid hate the wind and will rarely be around when the water is rippled. Can't stress this enough - the calmer the conditions, the better the squidding. It means you will need to squid on the lee side of any structure.

4. Tide. High tide is the time for catching squid. In fact, other conditions can be less than ideal but if the tide is dead high you're in with a shot. Don't even bother to chase em in shallow water at low tide - you'll be wasting your time.

5. Jig size - smaller jigs are the go. Some of the biggest squid I've caught in shallow water have come in on two-inch jigs. Colour doesn't matter in my view, although I do generally stick to green, pink or orange.

6. Jig quality - go the expensive ($15-20) yo-zuris. It's the only way you can be confident that you're in with the best shot. I'll always start with the expensive jigs and only switch to the cheapies if the squid are really biting. The expensive jigs almost always outfish the cheapies.

That's about it I reckon. Find a weedy location that is out of the wind and fish it at high tide - and you will find the squid.

Thanks for that Kelvin. Great tips and great knowledge, you really know your stuff!!

One of the reasons that i have had troubles keeping squid alive is because i get them in deep water, but i'd imagine that shallow water squid would last alot longer as live bait.

Any pointers on how shallow you fish for squid and how close to shore?

DAN

Dan- I think the larger squid live longer than the smaller squid. Sometimes the small guys kark it as soon as you put them in the water. Cuttle fish on the other hand are almost indestructible and they fight back . Have been bitten by these things numerous times. They also try to bite the hooks and the leader!!! BUt are GREAT bait for BIG fish.

As for catching squid, they are everywhere and nowhere. I get squid from anywhere. SOmetimes the water is only a meter deep or 15 meters deep. They all get eaten by kings! Normally however, I squid close to shore.Seems to be more productive for bait sized squid.

The reply by Mondo is a ripper...the tide for me is not as relevent as I fish out of a boat. Shore based definitely but if you are in a boat you can access more areas. The wind is a problem but fish your jigs deep and you'll score on those windy days.

Or use the penguin prawns :074: CHeers Kelvin

Edited by namesay

Saw a couple of fellow raiders..Cheers boys. I think you guys have to take your clothes off before you are allowed to squid there :074: .

Heh Kelvin,

I noticed that whilst you were fishing in close to us you were also fully clothed. Shame we weren't fishing for squid later in the day when the weather warmed up and the swimmers and sun bathers came down :074::074:

By the way nice fish, did you get that after we saw you in the afternoon??

We managed to hook a couple of larger fish outside the heads but didn't boat them. Lost one right at the boat, about 1 m long :mad3: and the other dusted us within about 10 seconds and we where fishing 80pound braid on a Stella 20000 and it still beat up to the bottom :wacko: Seems a few of the larger fish are still in amoungst the rats!

See you next time!

Saw a couple of fellow raiders..Cheers boys. I think you guys have to take your clothes off before you are allowed to squid there :074: .

Heh Kelvin,

I noticed that whilst you were fishing in close to us you were also fully clothed. Shame we weren't fishing for squid later in the day when the weather warmed up and the swimmers and sun bathers came down :074::074:

We managed to hook a couple of larger fish outside the heads but didn't boat them. Lost one right at the boat, about 1 m long :mad3: and the other dusted us within about 10 seconds and we where fishing 80pound braid on a Stella 20000 and it still beat up to the bottom :wacko: Seems a few of the larger fish are still in amoungst the rats!

See you next time!

Damn, that is some serious tackle (no pun intended) !!! Must have been a monster to beat you on 80 pound Stella 20000 !!!!

You guys weren't really squidding were you !!! Come on admit it !!!

Correct, there always seems to be some biggens amongst the rats, just need to have enough bait and patience.

Heh Kelvin,

See you next time!

I got the fish just after you guys left. Was touch and go with the fish as I could feel the line rubbing against the bottom.

I got my 2 squid and got out of there pronto but it seems like you guys were hanging around for something? :074::074::074:

WIth kings the bigger fish are in amongst the rats. But the rats can make life miserable if you are targeting the biger fish. Whenever I come across a school of kings it is always interesting to see them swimming together. The bigger ones are just a little deeper than the little ones!

Talking to a few other fisherman, it seems like there are some monsters around. Several 15-25 kg fish have been landed from various places around Sydney so they are around.

No matter what you use it seems the kings will find a way to bust you off. I have had my fair share..but them's the breaks. That 's why we love them so much!!!CHeers Kelvin

I was just thinking about bust offs after reading A07474's post. I used to use 80lb braid but stopped using it a few months ago. I realised that with braid everything changes as this stuff will break at a minimum double its rated strength.

This means your 50lb braid will break above 100lbs. This is great but it means that the lines we use are no longer the weakest link! Tie a 20kg weight to a rod and try to dead lift it...I would not recommend a graphite rod!!! It is very difficult to even budge this weight. But that is the type of drag setting that the new braids are capable of supporting. If you fished 50 braid to the max then you could theoretically set your drag to 40kg without popping the line!

The weakest link in the chain are the knots, the leader and the hooks. Kings normally can't break you off on a straight pull. They rub you off on reefs, chains, mooring ropes or any other structure they can get their heads around.

You can fish a "weak"main line of say 20lb braid but have a decent leader and land monsters. So now days I stick with 50 and have ditched the 80lb braid. The thinner line is much easier to troll and if jigging gets the jigs down faster so I can get to the fish first!

I also use the largest hooks that fit onto my baits. The hooks are the only thing that hold you to the fish. A small hook won't have enough purchase and rip out on heavy drag settings ...especially when the fish is near the boat :thumbdown:

To illustrate how determined these kings are, I have a story about when I was fishing pittwater a while back. There are several wrecks that holds kings. I was trolling a squid around a wreck when the bait got smashed. The rod buckled and the reel screamed. The fish made it back to the wreck and busted off the leader. Thought it was a good fish.

With trembling hands I rerigged and trolled again. Sure enough the bait got smashed again!! Another screaming run. The line was being rubbed against the wreck but it held and I boated the fish. The fish was only 62cm!! This fish had previously busted me off as it had my hooks still in its mouth!! So even the small ones are capable of busting you OFF. So now I use the best leader I can get and use a fairly long length of it.

Anyway that is my 2 cents worth. Cheers Kelvin

great kings once again.

I know you always launch at roseville, and i was just wondering if you ever find squid inside MH and close to roseville bridge (around bantry bay)

I remember several years ago, i was fishing at night on a mates boat in bantry, and my dad chucked out a squid spike with a pillie on it, and he got a great pair of squid (abit big for bait, but a great feed)

great kings once again.

I know you always launch at roseville, and i was just wondering if you ever find squid inside MH and close to roseville bridge (around bantry bay)

I remember several years ago, i was fishing at night on a mates boat in bantry, and my dad chucked out a squid spike with a pillie on it, and he got a great pair of squid (abit big for bait, but a great feed)

I fish out and in like a lot of people who fish the harbour and surrounds. I do squid sometimes in MH but the kelp beds are more predictable. The squid in MH are harder to track down at least for me. I have had squid ALL OVEr my boat at times in MH but like to go out and check out what is out side. Lots of pelagic action can he had in the mornings so don't want to be stuck in MH squidding!

With squid I KNOW i can score a kingie in MH so I try this area as I come back home. Cheers Kelvin

I was just thinking about bust offs after reading A07474's post. I used to use 80lb braid but stopped using it a few months ago. I realised that with braid everything changes as this stuff will break at a minimum double its rated strength.

This means your 50lb braid will break above 100lbs. This is great but it means that the lines we use are no longer the weakest link! Tie a 20kg weight to a rod and try to dead lift it...I would not recommend a graphite rod!!! It is very difficult to even budge this weight. But that is the type of drag setting that the new braids are capable of supporting. If you fished 50 braid to the max then you could theoretically set your drag to 40kg without popping the line!

The weakest link in the chain are the knots, the leader and the hooks. Kings normally can't break you off on a straight pull. They rub you off on reefs, chains, mooring ropes or any other structure they can get their heads around.

You can fish a "weak"main line of say 20lb braid but have a decent leader and land monsters. So now days I stick with 50 and have ditched the 80lb braid. The thinner line is much easier to troll and if jigging gets the jigs down faster so I can get to the fish first!

I also use the largest hooks that fit onto my baits. The hooks are the only thing that hold you to the fish. A small hook won't have enough purchase and rip out on heavy drag settings ...especially when the fish is near the boat :thumbdown:

To illustrate how determined these kings are, I have a story about when I was fishing pittwater a while back. There are several wrecks that holds kings. I was trolling a squid around a wreck when the bait got smashed. The rod buckled and the reel screamed. The fish made it back to the wreck and busted off the leader. Thought it was a good fish.

With trembling hands I rerigged and trolled again. Sure enough the bait got smashed again!! Another screaming run. The line was being rubbed against the wreck but it held and I boated the fish. The fish was only 62cm!! This fish had previously busted me off as it had my hooks still in its mouth!! So even the small ones are capable of busting you OFF. So now I use the best leader I can get and use a fairly long length of it.

Anyway that is my 2 cents worth. Cheers Kelvin

Mate i agree completely, My best fight to date was a 68cm King....When it hit i thought i was on the a hoody for sure.....Fought great......then it came to the boat and i was shocked to see it so small....it fought better then 1 metre kings.....Must of been one very healthy fish

Those little kings sure can pull above their weight especially when they are close to structure. But when fishing with braid you get so much information transmitted through your line. The big fish have those slow tail beats that go THUMP..........THUMP........THUMP. You know then you have a hood!! :thumbup: THen your heart rate goes up and the eyes light up. BUT I love them at any size!!! CHeers Kelvin

• 1 year later...

hi all new member here,must say well impressed by this site,and all you serious fishos,just been reading namesays report from last dec 06 about mh kingies,and was wondering if any of you guys could help me out with this downrigging process,having heard about it but never done it,what do i do what do i need any advice would be welcome cheers

Hi Kelvin

Kelvin great report like many you have posted here on fishsraider. I always find your post and willingness to help others very informative.

For raiders that want to case rat kings they will surely benefit and learn from your extensive knowledge and input to this site.

You are in my opinion a great asset to this site.

But its now time to move on Kelvin I think that with all your knowledge you should be targeting the real thing the hoodlum.

What is a hoodlum, well my description of a hood is quite clear, that is a kingie that weights no less that 10kg. Every thing below this should be call as rat.

Like you I have invested some hard earned dollars in marine electronics fishing gear and boats to help me improve my fishing and in doing so have changed the target species to justify the out lay.

I myself think that you need to get rid of some of the toys you play with.

So I thought I would let you know what I use on the S.A hoods and even on some of the big winter hoods of Sydney.

It starts with ( the hand brake ) a custom 45kg rod fitted with a Mp3000E spooled with 150Lb braid this is then attached to a 200lb leader and nothing less. The strike drag is set at 20kg with a full lock drag of 35kg.

So far to date in I have not been busted off by any hoods since the purchase of the currant fishing rod and reel that I use today. This is why it has been nicked named (the hand brake).

Cheers

Db3

Hi Kelvin

Kelvin great report like many you have posted here on fishsraider. I always find your post and willingness to help others very informative.

For raiders that want to case rat kings they will surely benefit and learn from your extensive knowledge and input to this site.

But its now time to move on Kelvin I think that with all your knowledge you should be targeting the real thing the hoodlum.

What is a hoodlum, well my description of a hood is quite clear, that is a kingie that weights no less that 10kg. Every thing below this should be call as rat.

Like you I have invested some hard earned dollars in marine electronics fishing gear and boats to help me improve my fishing and in doing so have changed the target species to justify the out lay.

So I thought I would let you know what I use on the S.A hoods and even on some of the big winter hoods of Sydney.

It starts with ( the hand brake ) a custom 45kg rod fitted with a Mp3000E spooled with 150Lb braid this is then attached to a 200lb leader and nothing less. The strike drag is set at 20kg with a full lock drag of 35kg.

So far to date in I have not been busted off by any hoods since the purchase of the currant fishing rod and reel that I use today. This is why it has been nicked named (the hand brake).

Cheers

Db3

No offence mate but 20kg of Stike Drag would alone pull you into the water let alone 35kg.... i would get my scales tested. 7kg of MEASURED drag is hard for someone to stay on their feet, so your 20-35kg would not be a handbrake but infact...... a anchor.

Also i have seen Kelvin with a number of hoodlems caught in sydney in all kind of conditions in all times of they year

Edited by Yabbiehunter

Hi Kelvin

Cheers

Db3

:1onono:

No offence mate but 20kg of Stike Drag would alone pull you into the water let alone 35kg.... i would get my scales tested. 7kg of MEASURED drag is hard for someone to stay on their feet, so your 20-35kg would not be a handbrake but infact...... a anchor.

Also i have seen Kelvin with a number of hoodlems caught in sydney in all kind of conditions in all times of they year

I disagree with your thoughts regarding drag settings.

Everyone has different tolerances, however, we regularly exceed 12-15kg of strike drag using heavy threadline gear - and that still feels relatively comfortable.

Reaching in excess of 20kg drag during a fight is also very possible - particularly in a 'straight pull'. That is, not loading the rod but pointing it directly at the fish.