South West Rocks

BrettP

Hi All,

Just returned from 2 weeks in SWR. Went out on a couple of charters. First one not much luck as the current was too strong and could not find bottom over 40m. Came home with a couple of Snapper and a Pearl Perch.Was happy with the charter operator, so decided to try again.

On Wednesday, headed out to the FAD 16ks off SWR with plenty of Slimeys. Trolled 4 rods out with no luck until we got to within 50m of the FAD. It was then that all 4 rods went off with 2 reasonable dollies and 2 rat kings. From that time on, the action did not stop until we ran out of live bait. Over about 1.5 hours, we caught at least 20 dollies ranging in size from about 80cm to the one in the pic, and lost countless more. It was my first time targeting these fish and will not be the last.

When we ran out of live bait, we headed into Fish Rock with some freshly trolled up bonito and stripeys for bait. Fished there for about 2 hours and caught countless kings in the 50-60 cm range. At a guess, between 4 of us, we must have caught between 30 and 40 rats. Great fun and I will be definatly heading back ASAP.

If anybody is heading that way, I can reccomend a good charter.

Cheers

Brett

post-870-1165580253_thumb.jpg

Guest danielinbyron

great fish :1yikes: .. I like the part where ya had a crap day and backed up with the same skipper...thats just fishing sometimes, no matter how good you are.. and it payed off..u beauty!!

Looks good mate. I'm heading up there in February, can you give me the details of the charter operator? What was the cost?

I know I'm asking for alot, but can you recomend where to stay up there?

Cheers in advance. :biggrin2:

Charter was Sea Scout II, run by andrew. He does packages for 3 nights accom and 2 days fishing or 5 nights and 3 days fishing. He was a good bloke and tried very hard to find fish on the first trip, which is why I went with him again. It was $100 for 6.5 hours.

Accomodation is cheap outside school hols through all of the local real estate agents. They all have plenty of holiday rental houses.

Great Dollie!! :thumbup::yahoo: By the way were there any cobes around? Cheers Kelvin

Didn't hear of any and didn't really target them. Mostly heard of large catches of rat kings.

wELL DONE ON THE DOLLIE,WERE THERE ANY SIGHTING OF MARLIN WHILE YOU WERE THERE,AND HOW WAS THE BAR,I'M HEADIND UP AUSTRALIA DAY WEEKEND SO HOPEFULLY WE WILL DO ALRIGHT :thumbup:

Bar was a bit rough the first week. Calmed down this week and I took my 14ft fiberglass boat out with no trouble. I asked the charter operator about Marlin and he said that there were none about as yet.