Trolling With Braid Or Mono

slayer666

For small fish. like Salmon Tailor Bonito Frigates and Kings, you will be happier with braid, they both do the job fine, just make sure its not a crazy stretch mono like trilene!

Guest danielinbyron

I can't think of any advantage to trolling with braid..unless its on a downrigger maybe.. But i can think of a few disadvantages...1 . expense .2 joinerknot to mono . 3 cuts easy when under pressure 4. if your laying line on and a fish runs it will cut you.

All the advantages of braid don't apply , less water resistance and better casting , no stretch

Espense, i seem to find Braid lasts longer than mono, like years longer, join knot, mmm thats what snap swivels are for, cuts easy, most of these little fish will not reef you anywhere, its highly unlikely you will hook a monster king on the troll but it is possible, laying line, use overheads for trolling, eggbeaters cause lures to spin. No stretch, i feel that you have a better feel for the fish, if example a Salmon jumps, its easier to pull up on the rods and keep tension where as the stretch in mono can cause you to lose the fish.

Just my thoughts, been using it for about 6 years, actually the same line from years ago and it still catches the fish. Cant ever recall having a problem on these little fish. Like i said, my thoughts only.

hi all fellow fishraiders i need a bit of help when trolling for kings e.t.c is it better using mono cause it streches or braid? any help would be greatfull.

Cheers Joe

Joe , I recall reading an artical some time back on Braid V's Mono & the appropiate places to use each one.

Mono was reccomended for trolling as the fish normally hit hard & some stretch is good as there is less chance of pulling the hook.

That sounded logicial to me so I use mono for trolling

Geoff

Geoff, i would agree with that statment when trolling for bigger fish. There is no way i would use Braid for Big Kings, Tuna or Marlin. EVER.

Another reason.

Think about how hard Amberjacks and Kings hit when Jigging? All use braid yeah? Just another thought?

Edited by Reely

Guest danielinbyron

The other disadvantage besides possible cuts is when braid is laid up onto overhead under pressure it finds cracks or gaps and lays its self tight down them , i even found that to be true with my calcutta and level wind , this causes problems eventually....

Geoff, i would agree with that statment when trolling for bigger fish. There is no way i would use Braid for Big Kings, Tuna or Marlin. EVER.

Another reason.

Think about how hard Amberjacks and Kings hit when Jigging? All use braid yeah? Just another thought?

DOnt forget mate when jigging for Amberjacks/Kings your not travelling at 7-8knots.

I have discussed this topic with a few of sydneys charter guys over the past, all said they would never use Braid for any type of trolling (downrigging an exception seeing your travelling very slow).

The strecth in mono is a plus when trolling as it wont put alot of strain on the line when the fish hits.

So based on years of experince(theirs not mine) i would say use Mono.

Like i said, its just my opinion, i have been doing so for years and find it great. I never said not to use Mono, as written in my first post above.

All your points are valid everyone. I prefer to have a direct contact with the fish.

If you're going to use braid for trolling, Id be using a very large mono leader.

As i do, i have trialing using 50lb Braid with about 2 meters of 80lb mono just to save from switching rigs between jigging & trolling ( i know, lazy) but to my surprise i've had no issues to date, havn't dropped many fish at all.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by costa

Guest Big-Banana

That'd be the only concern. I lost a Stripey once when the braid clean snapped after the take. It was 25lb line to a snap swivel connect to the lure.