The Entrance

Flattieman

Hi Raiders,

I just returned from a week on the Central Coast :thumbup: ... But only two sessions! :thumbdown: Seems like the weather just wasn't with us this time - but as the saying goes "that's fishing". On the two days that we were able to get out on the water, I experienced quite a consistent bite of flatties. They were legal, but nothing pushing any records whatsoever - the biggest going 45cm. They were there in numbers, though - with 30+ landed over the two days.

The first day saw glassy conditions and I scouted out the usual spots - North Channel, Main Channel, South Channel, Pelican Island - pulling a couple of flatties from each spot. All fish put up spirited fights and put a good arc in my KR SP MAX L76 - but were no match, really. My cousin managed to snare a few flatties too, with my grandpa and dad leading the bait assault and landing a few good whiting and a crab.

After the keeper net was holding about a dozen fish (with a few released), we made the decision to head home. Last cast, I noticed a huge wind knot in my braid. It looked like a lost cause. "Hmm... last cast - doesn't matter..." I thought to myself - and wound the knot onto my spool and continued to work the plastic. A few seconds later, it happened. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz... Finally! A fish of some size! :thumbup: I brought it within sight twice - a good flattie of 60cm+ before the inevitable happened - I the knot pulled on the main line, and the hooks pulled. :thumbdown: That's fishing.

The second day was almost a carbon copy of the first, with more smallish flattie landed and a couple of bream added to the mix. In the short sessions I enjoyed, some good action was experienced, and I'll be returning to the 'Coast soon... Hopefully the weather shines upon me!

Pics to come...

Flattieman.

PS. I'll be hiking in the Royal National Park over the next few days - might take a rod - will report any action.

Nice report Fattieman. A shame about the weather restricting your fishing over the week but it sounds like you had fun with the ones you got.

Good to hear the flatties are around on good numbers. can't wait to see the pics.

Have fun hiking and a good idea to take a rod with you as you never know what you might come across.

Welome back.

Cheers,

Pete.

Edited by MallacootaPete

It's always the way flattieman - it's like the big ones wait for your gear to show weakness before they hit!!

Was fishing with a friend the other day who tied their leader on with a poor knot, knew it, but decided to fish anyway. He looked at me and said "I reckon it'll hold" and I said "mate - you just made a classic fishing mistake." He fished on regardless, hooked a monster, and the knot gave way.

Anyway, great to hear that you had some fun, and good luck in the national park!!

Hi Raiders,

I just returned from a week on the Central Coast :thumbup: ... But only two sessions! :thumbdown: Seems like the weather just wasn't with us this time - but as the saying goes "that's fishing". On the two days that we were able to get out on the water, I experienced quite a consistent bite of flatties. They were legal, but nothing pushing any records whatsoever - the biggest going 45cm. They were there in numbers, though - with 30+ landed over the two days.

The first day saw glassy conditions and I scouted out the usual spots - North Channel, Main Channel, South Channel, Pelican Island - pulling a couple of flatties from each spot. All fish put up spirited fights and put a good arc in my KR SP MAX L76 - but were no match, really. My cousin managed to snare a few flatties too, with my grandpa and dad leading the bait assault and landing a few good whiting and a crab.

After the keeper net was holding about a dozen fish (with a few released), we made the decision to head home. Last cast, I noticed a huge wind knot in my braid. It looked like a lost cause. "Hmm... last cast - doesn't matter..." I thought to myself - and wound the knot onto my spool and continued to work the plastic. A few seconds later, it happened. Zzzzzzzzzzzzz... Finally! A fish of some size! :thumbup: I brought it within sight twice - a good flattie of 60cm+ before the inevitable happened - I the knot pulled on the main line, and the hooks pulled. :thumbdown: That's fishing.

The second day was almost a carbon copy of the first, with more smallish flattie landed and a couple of bream added to the mix. In the short sessions I enjoyed, some good action was experienced, and I'll be returning to the 'Coast soon... Hopefully the weather shines upon me!

Pics to come...

Flattieman.

PS. I'll be hiking in the Royal National Park over the next few days - might take a rod - will report any action.

have a flick in the norther corner of burning palms beach

Thanks for the comments, Raiders. As for my hike in the National Park, I didn't take a rod (against all good judgment :074: ) but it didn't matter, 'cause the wind was hopeless and the fishermen that I did run into had nothing to report.

i live on the Central coast. Next time you are up send us a PM.

I might do that, mate - what a great place to live!

How good is that Kingrod?

Rohit delivered mine yesterday arvo (thanks Mate) and I just cannot wait till after Chrissy to give it a thrashing.

Well done with your flatty haul.

CYA

Geoff

Hi Geoff. Get on the water ASAP! The L76 is definitely my weapon of choice (by far the best flattie rod I've ever owned) - I'm sure you'll love yours.

Here's a pic of one of the flatties (next couple will come as replies):

post-1466-1166591027_thumb.jpg

Flattieman.

Edited by Flattieman

My kids have been bugging me to catch some "decent" fish like flathead for months now. Your report does it...I'm gonna put the 50lb braid away for a couple of days and get those soft plastics in the water....NOT the sluggos but squidgies!!! Cheers Kelvin