Eating Flattie ...

stylo

Any tips on cleaning and eating flatties ? Same as any other fish i.e. bream ?

Bit concerned as I have been told they have them spikes near the gills etc. Also heard they are used as fish and chips fish - any truth to that ?

Thx ! :1fishing1:

Great eating fish anf a true bread and butter fish

When caught grab them in a towel or rag to remove the hooh with a hook remover or plyers.

Bleed the fish and put on Iced salt water to keep the flesh is top condition. I always despatch the fish as quickly as possible so its not stressed.

Come cleaning time I simply cut off the head and belly flaps. Fillet and skin the fish. No need to gut and scale and no bones no spikes.

Now just dip in batter and fry till golden brown, add chips.

Cheers.

Guest Big-Banana

Just slice them down the backbone, theres very little wastage. Depends how good you are. Then put some flour, salt, pepper and lemon juice in a bowl, put your fillets in there and cook away. They are one of my fave fish to eat. Lately we've been dedicated to them cause they taste so damn good.

Great eating fish anf a true bread and butter fish

When caught grab them in a towel or rag to remove the hooh with a hook remover or plyers.

Bleed the fish and put on Iced salt water to keep the flesh is top condition. I always despatch the fish as quickly as possible so its not stressed.

Come cleaning time I simply cut off the head and belly flaps. Fillet and skin the fish. No need to gut and scale and no bones no spikes.

Now just dip in batter and fry till golden brown, add chips.

Cheers.

Mate I tried to skin them and I bloody well couldn't! Any tips?

Guest Big-Banana

DONT scale them...

then once u have the fillet off cut out the ribs

and work your fingers in between the flesh and skin of the shoulder end until you can get a grip of a flap of skin,

put the flesh on the chopping board skin up

apply pressure on the flesh with palm,

rip skin off as if you were giving someone a wax

easy, no knife needed for skinning

CFD

Sounds simple enough, Ill give it a go. Cheers mate!

Also heard they are used as fish and chips fish - any truth to that ?

Thx ! :1fishing1:

If you can find a fish and chip shop that uses flathead for their fish let me know!! too expensive for shops to use for their standard fish and chips.......most places you use flake (shark) or whatever else is cheap at the fish markets at the time...

Guest danielinbyron

If you can find a fish and chip shop that uses flathead for their fish let me know!! too expensive for shops to use for their standard fish and chips.......most places you use flake (shark) or whatever else is cheap at the fish markets at the time...

Ulladulla , battered flathead tails in season...yumm

Yummmmmmmm

Gonna go catch some more flatties !!

Thanks guys, will post up pics of my fish and chips a la carte

EDIT

Any more info on actually cleaning the fish ? A more detailed explanation would be great !

Edited by stylo

I just scale mine and then clean them. My filleting skills are not what they should be , I tend to leave more meat on the carcass than I remove !! :1prop:

I just use a sharp knife ( really sharp) , and remove the scales , starting at the tail , and moving towards the head. Then I turn the fish belly side up , stick the point of the knife in the anus , and open the fish up to the fin line. Then just reach in and remove the innards , a quick rinse , and you are good to go .

Ross

I leave the skin on as it holds the fillet together when cooking. Definitely fillet if it is a decent size. You will have a few bones from the rib cage. You can leave them in the fillet or slide the knife under them to remove. I batter them using egg and breadcrumbs then shallow fry. They are a dry fish so you need a moist cooking method such as frying. Done this way they are one of my favourite eating fish.

The trick with skinning is to leave the fins on the side when you fillet them. This will give you something to get hold of to rip the skin off. This method is by far the most efficient. If you stick your thumb thru the flesh above the ribs and then back out the top, the skin will come straight off and usually leave the ribs with the skin and fin.

We used to gut them and scale them and leave the skin on for cooking and they were fine but the way we do it now is about 3-4 times faster.

Stallo

Guest johblow

Fish and chip shop opposite Koolewong station. Two flathead fillets and ships for 6 bucks - brilliant! I think its Koolewong, anyhow a station there beside Brisbane Waters. Its just over a rise.