Kingfish !

FletcherG1991

I recently bought a Saltist 30TH with 50 lb jigman braid and a t curve 400.

with 2 weeks of fishing starting tomorrow (woohoo!) i want to break in the rod on some king fish.

seeming i dont have a downrigger ill be trolling deep divers, a secret rig (surface), trolling sluggo's and i think thats about it.

i will be trolling mainly around west head and seeming i have never done this before (trolling for kings around headlands) i was wondering how close i have to be to the wash ? i am abit concerned about going right in.

is there anywhere else around that is good for kings in the broken bay/ pittwater/ hawkesbury area ? with 2 weeks of fishing and kings bieing my main target i have very high hopes of getting one.

i also have no fresh bait.

where are the bait grounds at broken bay ? or is it just a case of whilst trolling droping a bait jig down to schools of fish ? i have no GPS so can't mark any places.

most of my fishing will be done at west head as it is very easy to fish for a bit when there weather is yuck.

thanks for the help in advance,

Fletcher

Fletch you dont have to be right in close to the wash, in fact you can be as far as 300 meters, sometimes more, away from the headland and still find kings. If your targeting bonnies or salmon then i'd prefer to be in closer but kingies are more likely to be sitting over a reef away from the headland than right in close.

The majority of the kings i have caught have come from the headlands and thats the approach i use but others may disagree.

I'm not familiar with the broken bay/pittwater kingfish but providing the sun is up, you should find the kingies with ease.

Your probably best off getting a few livies and maybe a squid or two and strip him up for bait since nothing beats live/fresh bait.

DAN