Etec's

joerod

Hi all, this is my second post.

Picked up my new Haines 530B a few weeks ago, it has a 115 E Tec on the back, They say you don't need a service for 300 Hours.

Is there anyone with an etec ?

Did you get a service before 300hrs ???

Have only been out once (would be more if not for :wife:)

Looking forward to posting a decent fishing report :1fishing1:

Where are the photos. We want to see yor rig !!

Well done on getting the rig before Xmas.

Im not a Etec owner, but i would be changing the gear box oil and fuel filter at least annually. There is high performance gear oil available that is "meant" to last. But water is the biggest killer if it manages to seep in. Normal outboard gear oil is not expensive and you can get the little seal washers cheap too. Most fuel filters are under $20 and you can DIY.

I would be removing the prop at least annually to check for fishing line wrapped around the shaft (can cut the gear oil seals) and also grease the prop shaft.

+ other simple checks such as motor mounts, battery fluid level, battery terminals clean and tight, all fuel lines & connections, throttle and steering connections and just pop the cowling off to make sure everything looks in order (nothing working loose or come un-done) After a while you will get to know what goes where so you can spot any thing wrong.

If there are any grease nipples around, 1 (maybe 2) pumps or marine grease should be plenty.

Going to a dealer may be a bit of a waste ?. They will prob do something similar to the above, and maybe plug their computer in and have a look. It certainly wont hurt. But "apparently" its not required on these motors.

There is prob max 1 hrs work to do it yourself + a bit of shopping time. Its always good to be familiar with your rig incase you need to do minor running repairs if your stuck offshore.

cheers

Rod

Edited by fishingrod

Hi all, this is my second post.

Picked up my new Haines 530B a few weeks ago, it has a 115 E Tec on the back, They say you don't need a service for 300 Hours.

Is there anyone with an etec ?

Did you get a service before 300hrs ???

Have only been out once (would be more if not for :wife:)

Looking forward to posting a decent fishing report :1fishing1:

Hi Roddy,

We have an e-tec 90 hp. We have not had a service but do have to go and have an adjustment done by the computer as our motor is missing at low idle, it is a common problem after 100 hours more or less, other than this there has been no problems so far and we have been extremely happy with our purchase.

Diane

Hi Roddy,

We have an e-tec 90 hp. We have not had a service but do have to go and have an adjustment done by the computer as our motor is missing at low idle, it is a common problem after 100 hours more or less, other than this there has been no problems so far and we have been extremely happy with our purchase.

Diane

Hi Friend of mine is the Evinrude/Johnno agents Mechanic here. He says. Take out ALL external bolts. Grease, and replace them. Change oils and check seals. and waterpump every year. Remove prop.

Biggest problem they have. is removing bolts after 3 yrs..Have to grind and extract 1/2 of them...

NOTHING will last for three yrs. Untouched. In a Saltwter environment.. (Maybe alright in fresh ??)

I run an Optimax.....

Macka17

Hi Friend of mine is the Evinrude/Johnno agents Mechanic here. He says. Take out ALL external bolts. Grease, and replace them. Change oils and check seals. and waterpump every year. Remove prop.

Biggest problem they have. is removing bolts after 3 yrs..Have to grind and extract 1/2 of them...

NOTHING will last for three yrs. Untouched. In a Saltwter environment.. (Maybe alright in fresh ??)

I run an Optimax.....

Macka17

That sounds like good advice. The water pump impeller is always going to need replacement after a year. I do about 300-400hours on my motor per year ( all that slow trolling ) and have it serviced every 6 months. But I run a 4 stroke Yamaha. It runs real smooth but if you aren't doing the hours, it will need MORE maintenance rather than less!! I would think it is different if you are running it in fresh water like a lot of Yanks but the saltwater environment is extremely unfriendly to motors! Cheers Kelvin

I got the 115 etec about 3 or 4 months ago and it has been great. I have only done 50hrs so far but will be servicing it at 100. The only thing I have found is that you need to use the etec oil with it as recomended. The dealer I ordered my boat thru was a mercury dealer and he put mercury oil in at the start. The motor was taking 2 or 3 times turning the key to start, even when warm and the 5 ltrs of oil was gone after a few trips. As soon as I ran the etec oil, no more problems and the oil has lasted 3-4 times longer.

Stallo

Thanks all !

Sounds like I will be doing a service every 100hrs,

Fishingrod, I will post a picture of it as soon as I get one ( :wife: lost the memory card in the phone)

Stallo, where did you get your Etec Oil ?

I noticed there has been a lot of talk about Etec's vs Yamaha, etc. I must say that so far they are a great motor, they are so quiet that sometimes I have to go to the back of the boat to make sure that she is running. :1prop:

Happy Boating !!!

Is it Called Jet 1 Marine ?

If so, that is where I got my boat from. The service I got from them was great ( the owner and one of the ladies in the office)

If anyone is looking for a new boat I strongly suggest you call out to see these guys, They provide the good old fashion service along with quality boats..

Happy Boating !!!

I got the 115 etec about 3 or 4 months ago and it has been great. I have only done 50hrs so far but will be servicing it at 100. The only thing I have found is that you need to use the etec oil with it as recomended. The dealer I ordered my boat thru was a mercury dealer and he put mercury oil in at the start. The motor was taking 2 or 3 times turning the key to start, even when warm and the 5 ltrs of oil was gone after a few trips. As soon as I ran the etec oil, no more problems and the oil has lasted 3-4 times longer.

Stallo

Hi. I got the Merc Optimax. They have 2 types of oil. Semi and Full Synthetic. They say Don't run Full Synthetic if trolling a lot.

Also. Caltex put out an Oil for these High Tech 2 strokes. Only 2/3rds the price..

Works fine in Merc... Exactly same spec's. Check on spec's for E'tec...

Only about $120 for a 20 ltr drum... I'm paying $110 for 6 ltrs Merc oil...

What's that about paying for the name......

Macka17