Fishing With Worms

mick309

what worms in particular are they and what are you targeting them with and in the surf or estuary???

try and get some baitholder type hooks with little spikes on the shank that hold the worm upright. apart from this in general thread it onto the hook unles you are at the beach and fishing for bigger species where youd try and cram as many/much on the hook to entice a biggun!

cheers pk

Edited by pk-fishn

what worms in particular are they and what are you targeting them with and in the surf or estuary???

try and get some baitholder type hooks with little spikes on the shank that hold the worm upright. apart from this in general thread it onto the hook unles you are at the beach and fishing for bigger species where youd try and cram as many/much on the hook to entice a biggun!

cheers pk

they are sea worms, i will be using them around the harbour chasing whiting

they are sea worms, i will be using them around the harbour chasing whiting

just thread them on a baitholder hook leave a bit dangling off...., see if you can get your hands on some thin red tubing or red beads rig them on a running sinker with the beads above the eye of the hook or about 5cm of red tubing on your leader above your hook and fish the edges of ribbonweed and weedy beds as this is where the whitings food sit and they forrage around here. use minimal wieght and small hooks around size 4 longshanks. also try and slowly retrieve the worm over the weedy patches to give movement to the worm and make the presentaion more life like.

hope that helps.

cheers pk.

Edited by pk-fishn

just thread them on a baitholder hook, see if you can get your hands on some thin red tubing or red beads rig them on a running sinker with the beads above the eye of the hook or about 5cm of red tubing on your leader above your hook and fish the edges of ribbonweed and weedy beds as this is where the whitings food sit and they forrage around here. use minimal wieght and small hooks around size 4 longshanks.

hope that helps.

cheers pk.

Thanks heaps mate

They can also be slippery little buggers, so it is easier to hold them with a bit of towelling as you slip their head onto the hook! Always use the head first! I use a long sleeved shirt when fishing, so just use the sleeve to hold onto them as I hook them up! THe head is the most durable part of them & I find that if you slide their body carefully up the hook, so the head goes past the hook eye, and is actually above the hook (on the line) it will anchor it much better. Leave a good 2" dangling below the hook.

If you catch your own worms, don't be afraid of using a lot on each hook! You have a much better chance of catching better fish. I also use 2 hooks when whiting fishing - one below the running sinker & the other about 2ft above the sinker on about 1ft of line. It really 'floats' around in mid water & often gets the better fish.

If you are beach fishing, I also point the rod tip at the water & slowly walk backwards, so you are in direct touch with your hooks - whiting love a moving bait. When you feel a bite, just lift the rod tip sharply to a 45 degree angle to set the hook - don't rip it out of their mouth!

Hope you get some

Cheerio

Roberta

Two hook rig is great. Also fishing for whiting do not use to much lead. The bait moving slightly helps reduce the number of singrays you catch. Also do not fish far out of the break. Whiting feed on the things being washed out of the sand. Watch for small rips or where wave action makes the sand stir up. Cast into these areas and let your bait get moved by the current.

Good Luck