Susslex Inlet

mr liaison

hi guys,

well im heading of down south to sussex inlet for 4 days leaving early thursday morning the trouble is ive never fished there hehehehe :1prop: , going down there with the family and friends, anyone one know of any good spots i have a chartplotter in my boat suited for day or night fishing, the pressure is on now i have to perform,put the dinner on the table if not ill be in trouble from the :wife: ...any help would be great guys ......tight lines

Craig

Try the spot where Sussex Inlet meets St George's Basin.

Kevvie posted a report earlier in the year about a session where he caught close to 50 legal bream by fishing that area at night with cockles and light line.

Otherwise just drifting the basin and inlet for flatties is usually productive.

If you can get outside there's some good reefs quite close in and to the south, but the bar is really shallow at times and you need to be v. careful.

Try just inside St Georges Basin near the green channel marker, you can anchor there and get flathead and bream on both the run in and run out tide. On the run in tide you can start there and drift into the middle of the basin.

The drift between the entrance and Kangaroo Point which is the first point on your left hand side going into the Basin is usually pretty good and also the drift either into or out of (depending on the wind) the little bay between the entrance and Kangaroo Point is also normally pretty good.

We go to Sussex at least once a year and have rarely come away disappointed. At this time year there should be plenty of flatties.

I can also recommend having a beer or two on the balcony of the Sailfish Club.

Let us know how you go.

well guys back from the inlet, to report that the fish are in abundance down there, i could not believe how clear the water is down there from the bar right up to the basin, ended up staying only 3 days instead of the 4 the whiting were plentifull bagging out each session the trick was nippers i threw prawns and worms at them, nothing fussy little buggers the key was the nippers, i couldnt believe my eyes i would anchor on the edge of the drop-offs going from about 1 foot to 3-4 foot watching them going from side to side waiting for food to come, couldnt believe id throw unwaited worms up river and they would just look at it as it washed past them, chuck a nipper on and smasho......fished around kangarroo point to get heaps of little bream and flatty's, got a nice plate sized flounder, the downfall was i seen many times people keeping undersized fish, id rather come home empty handed than come home with a feed my budgie wouldnt get full on, left my camera at home so no pics, the weather down there was no good never got a chance to fish outside, so i made do.....all in all the place was great and good to see so many fish down there no matter wat size it shows the breeding cycle is healthy, so till next time boys Tight Lines.......

Craig

Hi guys,

Just got back from this area myself & we also caught a nice variety of fish. Most success was found in the basin near the entrance into sussex.

Large prawns was the prefered bait for the fish with chicken coming in second. We managed to catch very good size bream (6-8 each time, approx size 30-40cm) every time we went out with a few flatties, flounder & small reddies in between.

The suprise catches were a 35cm snapper, A very large flattie which freed itself as we got it to the boat (at least we got to see it, it head was as big as mine) & a 40cm mullet.

The weather wasn't the best down there but still got out for a fish every second day. I found the fishing better lat year for some reason but I think the weather had a lot to do with it.

Speaking to some of the locals they tell me there is jew fish, tailor & kingies (which I found it hard to believe) in the basin.

Can anyone confirm they have caught any of these species down there?

Regards,

Kypreos.

gday,

i dont mean to hijack the post but im heading down to jervis bay for a week and a bit so i might give the basin a try ( jervis has alot of productive spot under sanctuary zones) ive got the nipper pump ready and i will be landbased so not really sure of landbased spots so any help will be apreciated.. will let yous know how i go!

thanks guys

Edited by pk-fishn