Harbour Incident

R_Zee

hey guys,

i was just having my morning coffee when i heard something on the news about a jet boat hitting a tinny with 2 fishoes on board..

older man had a heart attack and was taken to hospital and younger man is suffering minor injuries.

anyone heard anything?

R_Zee

Here is the report in The Sydney Morning Herald.

More details to come.

Man in hospital after ferry collision

A man is in hospital after a ferry collided with his small fishing boat in Sydney Harbour, police say.

His run-about boat and the rivercat Dawn Fraser collided around 7.30am (AEDT) on Friday.

A small child who was also on board the fishing boat was not injured, police said.

How things can change... my brother was asking me last week why I drive an hour up to ATB to fish when I live right on the harbour. This reminds me why fishing Sydney Harbour in tinnies is so bloody dangerous.

Sure is..

A mate of mine got tipped out of his tinnie yesterday, by what he decribes as "a gaint F#$&in Riv"

The guy did not even see him, he just kept going out to sea...

Robbie.

Edited by Robbielites

Those bloody things dont give 2 shits about tinnys on the water, i've seen first hand and even experienced very close encounters with rivercats. Rumour has it that the driver couldnt see due to the sun in his eyes, thats a load of shit, the ferry skipper knew what he was doing and as usual was forcing the stopped tinny to move out of his way. Dont know the full story about this dude, but once my mate ran out of fuel just under the bridge and there was plenty of water for the ferry to pass by and do you think the ferry moved 30 metres to the left? :ranting2::ranting2::ranting2::ranting2::ranting2:

Luckily my mate could push 5L in and move before the ferry demolished him!!!

DAN

There was also a story on the weekend about a jet ski that hit a guy sitting in the back of a boat (I can't remember where). Apparently the jet ski rider tried to launch off the boats wake but misjudged it and hit the guy in the shoulder and then head. The guy in the boat is in a bad way and typically the jet ski pi##ed off.

Geeze I hate those things!!!!

Aren't we forgetting something here?

Sure its sad and bad, but one of the things you learn when you get your licence is that ferries ALWAYS have right of way.

Hands up those of you who know some with a tinnie and no licence, and no idea of waterway rules? (my hand sure is up...)

Oh, and jetskiers should be sunk.Period. :thumbdown:

NSW ferry crash victim dies in hospital

A 72-year-old fisherman who suffered a heart attack and lost his leg in a collision with a RiverCat on Sydney Harbour has died in hospital.

The man and his 37-year-old son were thrown from their dinghy into waters off Dawes Point, near Luna Park, after the off-duty Sydney Ferries RiverCat Dawn Fraser and the dinghy collided on January 5.

The man was taken to St Vincents Hospital where his right leg was amputated.

The severity of his injuries also triggered a heart attack.

A St Vincents Hospital spokeswoman confirmed the man died early Saturday.

Guest claudia

NSW ferry crash victim dies in hospital

A 72-year-old fisherman who suffered a heart attack and lost his leg in a collision with a RiverCat on Sydney Harbour has died in hospital.

The man and his 37-year-old son were thrown from their dinghy into waters off Dawes Point, near Luna Park, after the off-duty Sydney Ferries RiverCat Dawn Fraser and the dinghy collided on January 5.

The man was taken to St Vincents Hospital where his right leg was amputated.

The severity of his injuries also triggered a heart attack.

A St Vincents Hospital spokeswoman confirmed the man died early Saturday.

This is really sad, i feel for the family, our thoughts and prayers go out to the family

Thats a very sad ending to another mans life,

I bet his son who survived will find it difficult 2 go

fishing again,after this.

penguin

I understand the guy who passed away was the father of a fellow who runs a tackle & bait store over Drummoyne way

Geoff