Narrabeen Lake Whiting Again

mrmoshe

Hooked up with Darren from Trailerboathire at 1pm and hit Narra Lake again

chasing some more whiting land based.

Well...what a difference a day makes!

We were using live worms and Darren had plastics and we hardly got any.

Darren hooked one off the bat that would have made a great live bait himself and I

barely got a bite at the same location as yesterday.

So we changed tack and went for a wade out to the middle of the lake...whiting running everywhere

over the shallows...they were like flies...but would not take a bait, even if dropped right in front of them.

We fished the channel while we were wading and I scored a nice flattie but dropped it at my feet...the same thing hapened 10 minutes later with a thumper whiting...dropped...The one thing I forgot to bring was the net.

Dropped a couple of iffy bream the same way..then all of a sudden..we kept getting swarmed by what seemd to be silver biddies.

I have never seen any of them in the lake before and they were everywhere. They fight like something 3 times their size too.

Took the camera down but as we were wading...left it in the car.

Came home empty handed but still had a load of fun out there on the lake.

I hope those whiting that are in there now stick around and grow up to all be thumpers in the years to come.

Cheers,

Pete.

hey pete

yeah i agree with that, the whiting just didnt want a bar today, swimming everywhere but didnt even want a feed in the morning. i did see two guys cleaning up on the luderick tho geez one after the other pretty much.

patrick

• 2 months later...

So close yet so far ...

Still, having fish swim around you in numbers is a good indication the lake is doing well. They must be eating well to refuse bloodworms!

I agree that silver biddies do fight well for their size. Have mistaken them for decent bream only to have a little pipsqueak at the end of the line :074:

Just for laughs, here's my first fish (silver biddy) caught on a HB.

post-3388-1174027561_thumb.jpg

So close yet so far ...

Still, having fish swim around you in numbers is a good indication the lake is doing well. They must be eating well to refuse bloodworms!

I agree that silver biddies do fight well for their size. Have mistaken them for decent bream only to have a little pipsqueak at the end of the line :074:

Just for laughs, here's my first fish (silver biddy) caught on a HB.

post-3388-1174027561_thumb.jpg

Hey Peter, a fish is a fish.

You are out there fishing and having fun :thumbup:

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

I have now targeted those elusive whiting in the lake 6 times in the past 2 weeks and NO BLOODY GOOD!!!

I have used live bloodworms, dead beachworms, live pippies ,whitebait,live nippers and even got hold of some live cockles (vongolaes?), even beachworm SP's and they just didn't want to know any of them.

They are definitely there in numbers swimming around by feet but won't take a bait AT ALL!!

Maybe they just aren't hungry with all the food in the lake.

I even see them burrowing with their tails in the air at my feet. I don't know what they are eating, but it ain't what I am using at the time. Perhaps it's small worms of some kind.

Still, lots of fun catching and releasing heaps of bream, flatties, biddies, even a few tailor.

I'll be back down there soon to try again but not for a few weeks as I'm off to hospital for an op next week

and should be back to 100% fitness again after that.

I won't be beaten by those bloody whiting...they are my 2007 must-do target species. Grrrrr.

Cheers,

Pete.

Pete

Have you tried small poppers ?

I haven't had a chance to try myself but there is a lot of good feedback

on whiting hitting a popper when other baits & lures fail

I was think along the line of those small surf poppers

Chris

Hey Pete maybe try at night or early in the morning whilst still dark. Is the lake still open and allow tidal flow?

You say your using beach worm and yabbies, wouldn't think you could miss. I imagine that you fish light? Have you tried a slow retrieve or drifting in the boat?

Anyway good luck Pete I hope all goes well next week.

Cheers

Jeff.

No Chris...I haven't tried poppers on 'em yet...maybe that's next to add to the whiting arsenal.

Jeff, I've tried them early morning, middle of the day, late evening..all on incoming and outgoing tides to no avail.

I fish light and have tried just about every method, no weight, then small sinker, slow retrieve etc..still not interested.

I am usually land based but wading the shallows and out to the channel.

They won't beat me though. Like Arnold Schwarzenegger...I'll be baaaack!!

Cheers,

Pete.

Ive been definitley wanting to try little poppers on B&B fish including whiting ever since reading the whiting article in aprils modern fishing! :thumbup::thumbup:

looks like awesome fun

Cheers

Davy

fished narrabeen lake lb last sat nite for 3 undersized bream, 1 fish im not sure wat it was, and 1 flattie. What pissed me off was the guy on the bridge jagging 35+cm whiting. Tried everything i had even moved up onto the bridge and could see the school of about 15 of them following everything i had but wouldnt take. Was so frustrating will try again soon