Forster Flattie

arpie

Hi guys

Went out yesterday with my brother & wife - launched at Tuncurry & went to one of the leases off the main channel. He was using bait & hooked into a nice bream that immediately took him back into the structure! I have one of those 'aqua scope' thingos - a plastic cylinder with one end sealed with glass/clear perspex. Great to look at the sea floor - in this case, to spot where the hook had attached itself! I spotted the sinker (still attached to the line/rod) & kept looking to see if I could spot the hook. Believe it or not, it was still attached to the bream & I could see it hiding amongst the kelp/weeds that were attached to the pole it had wrapped around. It did not look stressed - just sitting in there, pretending he wasn't there! I put the oar down to try & frighten it out of its hidey hole - then it was gone - along with the hook!

I had also succumbed to using bait after a few half hearted efforts with my soft plastics, but then decided to give the sps another go. On my third cast I hooked into a solid flattie. Luckily I had the drag up fairly high as the lease we were nudging has lots of structure! It made a couple of efforts to escape, but I managed to turn it's head back towards the fence & boat. My sister in law grabbed the net & attempted to net it, but it eluded it skillfully! I said to net it head first, but the flattie didn't seem to hear the instruction & after about 4 goes, we finally had it in the net, tail first!!! Their first reaction was that it was too big & you had to put it back - but measuring it, it was only 62cm, so well under the 70cm '1 only' and at this point, likely to be the only fish we were to land! This later turned out to be correct.

My lure of choice is the 100mm silver fox squidgey, with a Mr Twister jig head. Big lure, big flatties!

They were amazed - it was the biggest flattie they had seen in years - couldn't believe it was caught on a bit of plastic! They had a couple of half-hearted tosses, but reverted to bait again. I kept on with the sp & shortly had another good hit, not far from the other one! This one got off after about 5 seconds, & would have been a similar size.

We tried a couple of other leases, but had no luck. Once again, the mullet didn't seem to appear, so no joy there, either.

A fun day was still had by all & the promise of things to come ......

Cheerio

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Congrats Roberta on a very nice lizard...and on plastics too :thumbup:

Looks like you have the SP's down now..if only I could do the same as every

time I use them..i get a big donut and revert back to bait.

Keep those reports coming..you live in fishing heaven up there.

Cheers,

Pete.

Looks like you have the SP's down now..if only I could do the same as every time I use them..i get a big donut and revert back to bait.....

Hi Pete

I make it a habit of not taking bait if I am fishing with sps or for blackies! It makes it too easy to revert to bait. I am sure the only reason I do reasonably well with sps & blackies is due to this! Plus I am a bit feral & basically stay there till I catch something!

I have been neglecting my flatties recently, still trying for blackies - very trying at times! I got another 2 on Tues - no real size in them tho - avg 30cm. Usually I would put those ones back! My brother & wife love their fish, so I kept them for a fish dinner!

It is fishing heaven tho!

Cheerio

Roberta

they call that area the padock - full of flaties

i watched a fellow pull in one last week took him 15 minutes - biggest flattie i had seen - many boats - ours included apluaded when it got netted.

i found a good spot off those lease when i was up there - head away from the bridge and about 10 metres out from the lease on the right hand side tie up to the inside post of the last gate - there is a big dropoff / hole- from 2 metres down to 6. Must have pulled in 30 flatties in the 3 sessions we had there along with bream, whitting & shovel nose

Forster is a great place to fish

Bloody nice fish there Rbta. That size range is my favourite eating size.

Just in regards to the sp's. I firmly believe that to be successful you have to take lures out only. That is if you are a dedicated bait fisho wishing to make the transition into lures. I came from that stable and only made real progress by giving myself no other options but to keep flickin.

Once again well done and i cant wait to come up your way for some exploring :1fishing1: