Flathead

DaveD

post-834-1168860769_thumb.jpgput a glove on and put your thumb in thier mouth, hold them by thier bittom lip and support the body with your other hand. This will ensure a healthy release or dispatch to the ice box whatever your choice :1fishing1:

This is a photo of the technique....

Edited by kevvie

Grab em with your thumb on their arse and turn them belly up while doing the dental work. Works fine with most of them. Kevvie's way is best for the big fellas.

John

Its funny when i try and explain the 'thumb on the arse' technique to people who dont fish very often. They think im taking the piss outta em :biggrin2:

yea I thought the best way might be just to use a rag on hand and try to hold them like that, then again I thought it might pierce through that. Not exactly gonna go taking gloves with me though, I'm just a casual shore fisherman

:074: The old thumb on the bottom lip trick :074:

Just be careful and remember to hold the fish with its mouth open, up at forster had one shake on me while i was mesuring it on the gunnel - that was 2 weeks ago and iv still got a semi circle inprint on my thumb - ouch

I caught a nice lizard up in Jerusalim Bay a few weeks ago and hearing the thumb on the bottom lip method is the way to go i went for it and the :mad3: clamped down on my thumb and didn't let go. Didn't exactly hurt but it came as a hell of a shock at the time! I now go for the gloves and grab them under the belly with my thumb on the back of the neck.

Cheers,

Mark

When lucky enough to catch a nice flathead I grab them in a wet towel to remove the hook and then follow kevvies procedure. If the towel is folded in half I am safe from the head spikes and minimise the stress to the fish while still maintaining a good hold on the fish.

Cheers

I caught a nice lizard up in Jerusalim Bay a few weeks ago and hearing the thumb on the bottom lip method is the way to go i went for it and the :mad3: clamped down on my thumb and didn't let go. Didn't exactly hurt but it came as a hell of a shock at the time! I now go for the gloves and grab them under the belly with my thumb on the back of the neck.

Cheers,

Mark

same thing happend to me on early sunday morning (3am), got a 89cm model in the boat and picked him up by the mouth with gloves and the bastard would not let go :1prop:

If you arent releasing them one finger in each gill (underneath) and your thumb in the centre of their head (on top).

Doesnt matter how big if you hold em tight enough they can shake all they like. It flattens their noggin out and your hands are at the front so away from those nasty side spikes.

Hi guys

In my kayak, I have a neoprene glove that I grab them with till I can either get the hook out & release them or put them in the keeper net, alive (in the water.) The thick neoprene glove is great & hasn't been bitten or spiked thru yet, even when grabbing it around the gut/spike area.

If I am landbased, & plan on keeping the flattie for a feed - I just flip it over and shove my thumb thru one side of the gill & my forefinger (or middle finger) thru the other gill, with the fingers meeting in the middle of his throat, then dispatch it with a knife thru the head! There are no raspy bits to cut you. Even the biggest flattie that I have caught so far & kept (70cm - first & last time) hasn't been able to shake out of that one. It ain't pretty, and is a bit brutal, I know, but it works.

If you are intending to release them, obviously don't use this method!!

Cheerio

Roberta

Hi Dave - good to see someone else uses this method!

Edited by Roberta

Great responses from all you raiders. They are buggers to handle!! I don't like to touch them. Incidently, if you do get spiked rubbing the slime fromk the flattie on the wound takes away the sting. Works a treat!!

Davo

Great responses from all you raiders. They are buggers to handle!! I don't like to touch them. Incidently, if you do get spiked rubbing the slime fromk the flattie on the wound takes away the sting. Works a treat!!

Davo

Davo - Not on firm ground here but thought it was the slime on them that acts as anticoagulent (spelling ?), hence why you seem to bleed so long and hard from a flattie spiking ???

John

the venom in the spike thins the blood (and is painfull as)

the slime acts as a coagulant i believe and eases the pain (apparently, i think it may be a bit like sugar pills), seems to work but i usually just wait it out, takes a half hour or so but you stop noticing when the bites are hot

CFD

Cheers Chris - was not sure how it worked, and was not aware flatties injected venom (why not, I guess Stone fish do) - Thanks for the info

John