Nelsons Bay, Narrabeen Lakes, Pittwater And Dee Why Beach

MrChipsnSalad

Well Raiders, here's my last few weeks in a bundle.

We spent 8 days at Fingal Bay over the new year. The conditions tended to be really nice in the morning, but by 10.30am the NE was howling in. We launched at Shoal Bay, which is a fairly shallow ramp, especially at low tide. Beware the Eastern side of the ramp, as we saw many a sedan get unstuck trying to pull out quite small rigs. The ramp is about 2m too short, so to get your boat out at low tide, you sometimes need to get your rear wheels on the beach.

We took our 4.0m tinny outside a few times, but we mostly fished around Tomaree Head. We also fished out off Shark Bay and Shark Island. We tried the sand banks in the centre of the bay, as well as the Southern side of Yacaaba Head. We had the boat out every day, but alas we never got one keeper. Furthermore, we found that we were hardly even catching the same species twice. We got small Snapper, a myriad of wrasse type fish, as well as the smallest flathead I have ever seen. We trawled Lazer Pros all over the place, and did not even get a hit in 8 days. We tried squid, prawns and pilchards, for the same result. Speaking to others at the ramp, the luck seemed to be much the same all around. In the entire time, we never saw a single fish get cleaned. We even tried for whiting off the beach at Shoal Bay, and I managed a small fella that I tipped back in. We did see one bloke pull in a Gummy at Fingal Bay, spinning off the beach one evening, with a small metal slice. We also tried the plastics off the beach, and were just as unrewared. This was during the New Year period, over the full moon. I did catch up with one bloke at the camp round who picked up a bucket of Whiting pretty late on a very windy and ordinary evening, in front of the life saving club at Fingal Bay.

A word of warning to those venturing out around Shark Island and Shark Bay. The currents there are really crazy. We measured a 5 knot current on the GPS and once the wind got up over around 10knots from the NE, the seas was all over the place. The waves there seem to just spring up from under the surface, and lump up randomly. Although we were running a 40hp, we could hardly run at more than a crawl, because of the terrible sea there. We also shipped a lot of water trying to nose back in when the NE kicked in. The Maritime guys also came past and checked all our safety gear, so be prepared. I think it is a combination of the shallow rocky seabed, as well as the current and the wind, that really turn it into a bit of a washing machine. It reminded me of the sea off Point Perpendicular at Jervis Bay, close in. I would not advise going out there in anything less than 5.0m if there is any wind on the menu.

Last Friday I went out at Pittwater, and fished around Longnose Point and Morning Bay. We picked up heaps of baby Snapper and small arbitary species, but nothing to write home about. My 8 year old had a ball catching trumpeter with one of those Herring/Yakka jigs, so that was good. I was hoping he would get us a livey to throw out, but there was only Trumpeter and i have never given them a whorl as live bait, and did not bother. We also tried the moorings on the eastern side once the NE kicked in, but it was pretty quiet there.

Last night my wife and myself took a drive down to Narrabeen lakes and decided to toss a few plastics near the boat ramps on the Southern side. We spent about an hour there, and picked up a couple of flathead around the 34cm mark. We were using 2" black shad style plastics (Squidgies). All fish were released as we had already had dinner, and were just there for the fun of it. There was a lot of weed there, that was really bothersome.

This morning I went down to the beach at Dee Why, and threw in a few plastics. There was a bit of an annoying shore break, but i found some decent water a bit north of the life saving club. Tried for about an hour and a half, but didn't get any hits. I spoke to some guys who were chasing whiting but they also had nothing to report. The weed started to drift in a bit around 6.30am, so i packed it in.

Well that's that I guess. When a read of all the Kingys being caught lately I have really been wondering what we have been doing wrong. We will keep on trying.

Cheers for the time being.

Edited by MrChipsnSalad

Well Raiders, here's my last few weeks in a bundle.

We spent 8 days at Fingal Bay over the new year. The conditions tended to be really nice in the morning, but by 10.30am the NE was howling in. We launched at Shoal Bay, which is a fairly shallow ramp, especially at low tide. Beware the Eastern side of the ramp, as we saw many a sedan get unstuck trying to pull out quite small rigs. The ramp is about 2m too short, so to get your boat out at low tide, you sometimes need to get your rear wheels on the beach.

We took our 4.0m tinny outside a few times, but we mostly fished around Tomaree Head. We also fished out off Shark Bay and Shark Island. We tried the sand banks in the centre of the bay, as well as the Southern side of Yacaaba Head. We had the boat out every day, but alas we never got one keeper. Furthermore, we found that we were hardly even catching the same species twice. We got small Snapper, a myriad of wrasse type fish, as well as the smallest flathead I have ever seen. We trawled Lazer Pros all over the place, and did not even get a hit in 8 days. We tried squid, prawns and pilchards, for the same result. Speaking to others at the ramp, the luck seemed to be much the same all around. In the entire time, we never saw a single fish get cleaned. We even tried for whiting off the beach at Shoal Bay, and I managed a small fella that I tipped back in. We did see one bloke pull in a Gummy at Fingal Bay, spinning off the beach one evening, with a small metal slice. We also tried the plastics off the beach, and were just as unrewared. This was during the New Year period, over the full moon. I did catch up with one bloke at the camp round who picked up a bucket of Whiting pretty late on a very windy and ordinary evening, in front of the life saving club at Fingal Bay.

A word of warning to those venturing out around Shark Island and Shark Bay. The currents there are really crazy. We measured a 5 knot current on the GPS and once the wind got up over around 10knots from the NE, the seas was all over the place. The waves there seem to just spring up from under the surface, and lump up randomly. Although we were running a 40hp, we could hardly run at more than a crawl, because of the terrible sea there. We also shipped a lot of water trying to nose back in when the NE kicked in. The Maritime guys also came past and checked all our safety gear, so be prepared. I think it is a combination of the shallow rocky seabed, as we as the current and the wind, that really turn it into a bit of a washing machine. It reminded me of the sea of Point Perpendicular at Jervis Bay, close in. I would not advise going out there in anything less than 5.0m if there is any wind on the menu.

Last Friday I went out at Pittwater, and fished around Longnose Point and Morning Bay. We picked up heaps of baby Snapper and small arbitary species, but nothing to write home about. My 8 year old had a ball catch trumpeter with one of those Herring/Yakka jigs, so that was good. I was hoping he would get us a livey to throw out, but there was only Trumpeter and i have never given them a whorl as live bait, and did not bother. We also tried the moorings on the eastern side once the NE kicked in, but it was pretty quiet there.

Last night my wife and myself took a drive down to Narrabeen lakes and decided to toss a few plastics near the boat ramps on the Southern side. We spent about an hour there, and picked up a couple of flathead around the 34cm mark. We were using 2" black shad style plastics. All fish were released as we had already had dinner, and were just there for the fun of it.

This morning I went down to the beach at Dee Why, and threw in a few plastics. There was a bit of an annoying shore break, but i found some decent water a bit north of the life saving club. Tried for about an hour and a half, but didn't get any hits. I spoke to some guys who were chasing whiting but they also had nothing to report. The weed started to drift in a bit around 6.30am, so i packed it in.

Well that's that I guess. When a read of all the Kingys being caught lately I have really been wondering what we have been doing wrong. We will keep on trying.

Cheers for the time being.

Hi there MrChipsnSalad

I think I was one of the guys you spoke to this morning ... we had a go for a little while and then made a move to Narra Lake for zip also. There just seemed to be nothing around today.

Nice to meet a fellow raider.

Regards

Mike

Hi there MrChipsnSalad

I think I was one of the guys you spoke to this morning ... we had a go for a little while and then made a move to Narra Lake for zip also. There just seemed to be nothing around today.

Nice to meet a fellow raider.

Regards

Mike

Nice to meet you, my names Wayne. Yep, you guys were heading a bit further up the beach just as I was packing it in.

Cheers

Edited by MrChipsnSalad

Nice to meet you, my names Wayne. Yep, you guys were heading a bit further up the beach just as I was packing it in.

Cheers

hi wayne

I was the other mug lugging all the gear i didn't need. There has to be a way to recognise fellow raiders- maybe a secret hand signal :1prop: i'm sure the mods can come up with something. It would have been good to have a longer chat

billy

ps

thanks fishless!! my worming sensei

hi wayne

I was the other mug lugging all the gear i didn't need. There has to be a way to recognise fellow raiders- maybe a secret hand signal :1prop: i'm sure the mods can come up with something. It would have been good to have a longer chat

billy

ps

Nice to meet you too. It's about time we had a fishraider cap or shirt. I'll stop for a longer chat if I see you guys again. I have seen you guys before, so it won't be long I guess.

Cheers

Wayne

hi wayne

billy

ps

Hi Billy

Thanks for a good day ... too bad the fish didn't co-operate!! I'm glad you got your first worm and I am happy that I could teach you the art!!

Look forward to another outing soon

Mike

PS Will definitely have a longer chat next time Wayne

Cheers

Mike