Live Bait Tank Question

ryan

i have a quintrex 480 freedomsport. It comes with a 60 litre plastic tub built into the floor. I was hoping to plumb it as a live bait tank with the overflow running out the side via the self draining set up already there. after pulling up the floor i relise that the drain is a fraction too high. I could put another hole in a bit lower which would still be above the water line, but possibly not if i had a full crew and fuel tank so i dont want to take that risk.

The question is could i drain the live tank directly into the hull and let the auto bilge pump take care of it from there, or would that be too much drain on the battery and/or bilge pump.

i was thinking of that but if i could do it the other way i would save the price of the pump and the skin fitting and avoid putting another hole in the boat. Also the extra pump would be in use as much as the auto bilge pump, negating any power saving in regards to the battery. Your method does remove the risk of ending up with a hull full of water should the auto bilge pump break down so its definately got me thinking.

After using one of those in bucket type aerators the other day

I would stay away from dumping live bait water in your bilge

along with the smell and the scales slime that i was getting into the

pump and clogging at the top of the aerator nozzle was driving me insane.

For me i don,t think the wife would like getting in the boat and it stinking.

As i have a 5.0 seabreeze used for fishing/recreational boating.

Alrighty...ive decided to get 2 pumps, one bringing water in, the other pumping it out. I figure both of these pumps have to be the same to balnce the input with the output. I wanted to get 500gph pumps but the bloke at witworths gave me 360gph pumps with out me noticing. Will these pumps be enough for a 60 litre tank or should i return them and get the 500gph that i wnated. Or should i even g up to 800gph.

Im not really in favour of the 2 pumps idea, but if your trying to work with the existing underfloor box you dont really have much choice. Try and keep the hoses a similar length and run them at similar heights to make sure you get a balanced flow.

I dont think you could use a transom scoop while underway with this arrangement as you have little control of the input and output speed. Even with and adjustable valve it might get fiddley. You could however have a float switch near the top of the tank so the pump-out pump only runs until the water drops to a certain level then goes off. If you restrict to the flow from the scoop underway to a slow to moderate pace then the pump-out will be able to keep up. Even a small amount of fresh water coming in underway will keep the bait happier.

EDIT: maybe a 500 on the pump out (with a float switch) and a 360 on the pump in might work. Then you can be pretty sure you will never under or over fill the tank ?

Before you go hooking it up, it might be an idea to go out and fill the underfloor box up with water next trip to see how it handles the weight and test how practicle it is. Do a dry run, incase you already havent.

I run a 500gph, and then only run it 10mins on and 10 mins off sort-of-thing. Just when ever i remember to hit the switch. I think your 360 will be fine. 800 might be too turbulant + extra drain on the battery as you are running 2 pumps.

Rod

Edited by fishingrod

Guest fishrunner

Nothin wrong with the 2 pump idea,

I run a 500 on top of a scoop with an inliine to control the in flow on the plane, and a 500 in the well wth a valve so I can reciculate , and at the end of the day I can turn the valve and emty the water through the spare bung hole on the boat, lets me wash everything down with the well water at the end of the day- knives, cuttin boards etc. works well.

I also have a overflow in the well incase the inflow is left on to provide greater water turnoverif required.

360's will do the job, but 500's give a bit more pressure for things like spray bars, etc

good luck :beersmile::beersmile:

Nothin wrong with the 2 pump idea,

I run a 500 on top of a scoop with an inliine to control the in flow on the plane, and a 500 in the well wth a valve so I can reciculate , and at the end of the day I can turn the valve and emty the water through the spare bung hole on the boat, lets me wash everything down with the well water at the end of the day- knives, cuttin boards etc. works well.

I also have a overflow in the well incase the inflow is left on to provide greater water turnoverif required.

360's will do the job, but 500's give a bit more pressure for things like spray bars, etc

good luck :beersmile::beersmile:

For my 2 cents worth, I would by a tube of sikaflex, a length of hose , a shut off valve, and whack another hole in the boat. Do it once, do it right. I set up a rather large twin bait tank system in my boat when I did the rebuild. I got spooked every time I put a hole saw near the hull, but now its done, it looks good and works a treat.

Running twin pumps would deffinately prompt me to put twin batteries and isolator in, but what if your sitting all night with a tub loaded with livies jewfishing??? Big drag on the batteries.

What happens if a livie dies and wraps around the pump out and the pump in is still going 100%. Your still going to need an overflow of some description.Even fishrunner had an overflow in his tank. So if your overflow is above waterline, your still up for a hole. And a lot goes for those twin pick up systems you run on your transom. Whilst your cruising, you turn pumps off and let inertia fill the tanks for you. You can adjust the flow at the head of the spray in your tank.

I must admit, the whole plan of mine looked brilliant on paper and performs even better.Cost ended up blowing out. The biggest problem I had was convincing the :wife: that it didn't cost what it actually did. :thumbdown: (If you know what I mean) It got suprisingly expensive after all was said and done- but well worth the earrings that she went and purchased in retaliation. :1yikes:

I will be there Sunday if you want a peek at it.

Regards. Stumpy

While the engine is going it is charging the battery any way.

I have an under floor bait tank and it has taken a bit of fiddling to get it right.

On the inlet pump, put a valve in the hose so you can turn it down a bit if you have to. I put valves in both hoses so I can shut them off all together if there is a problem, or so I can regulate the flow. I have 2 x 500 pumps on mine and started out without the switch, but the switch is peace of mind and makes it automatic.

If you get busy fishing and forget about the pumps, it could over flow, empty, or you could forget to turn them on and the fish die. Auto is good.

It may be an idea to return one of the 360 pumps and get a 500.

I would put a 360 as the inlet and the 500 as the outlet.

I put one of the floating switches in mine so the outlet pump comes on automatically.

Make sure you do not put this switch too high as you have to allow for the angle of the boat when sitting and cruising. Also, the water sloshes with the movement of the boat, so you don't want it too high.

I also have twin batteries.

Cheers

Greg