Poppers ,coppers And Cherry Poppers

I had been promising to take Coollamon fishing one day and today was the day. A virgin on the Bass and excited as hell to be having his first shot at the Bronze Battlers :tease: We were also joined by Flightmanager as well.

We arrive at Tench Ave at 5 am on the dot and thank you to the security guard who was right on time to unlock the gates.

We headed off in the low light conditions with hardly a breath of wind and the insects were everywhere and cicadas singing that great tune "Its Bass Time".

I gave the lads a surface popper each and instructed John to get as close to the structure as he could.

We peppered the bank and I was first to score a nice little fella and the action had started. A few more little fellas for me then John gets smashed off the surface by his first ever wild bass and it was a beauty around 35 or 36 cms :yahoo: and for up this neck of the woods that's a damn fine fish for starters.

Handshakes all round and some great piccies for posterity and away she went back into the drink.

Ross made us a great cappuccino from a packet and we sat around bullshitting and telling jokes and being rude as we do.

We continued catching small bass on surface lures and those great little tt spin blades up until 9 am when Ross had to leave and head back.

Just as we got to the bridge and the start of the 8 knot zone I spied a sneaky lot of buggers with red and blue lights on their boat and it was indeed the Water Police and the Fisheries Officers. They were very courteous to us and we spent a bit of time helping them with some local knowledge of the upper Nepean as none of them had been there before. I was dutifully breath tested and all of us were asked to produce our fishing licenses which we did and I was asked to produce my boat license. All in order I might add and we had a few laughs with the 3 male and 1 female officer and just for fun took their pictures for the report and the female Fisheries officer snapped one of us :thumbup: .

John and I decided to head back up river after dropping Ross off and helped the Officer navigate the Narrows which they appreciated.

Back into the action and we scored more little bass and one fair one. We were just about ready to go home and I saw a great hidey hole that screamed bass under an overhanging low rock face and it very dark indeed right up the back. I flicked my trusty Black Cicada right into the gloom and was smashed by my best ever fish from up that way of 41 cms. More pics and high 5ssssss and it was time to head home around 11 am.

On the way back we got a wave from the Officers again and we felt pretty good about ourselves and our efforts .

Big thanks to John and Ross for a top morning on the Bass and we will do it again real soon.

post-256-1169172684_thumb.jpg

post-256-1169172675_thumb.jpg

post-256-1169172666_thumb.jpg

post-256-1169172655_thumb.jpg

post-256-1169172694_thumb.jpg

post-256-1169172702_thumb.jpg

Cheers Swordfisherman

Yes indeed what a glorious morning

thanks for inviting me out stewy and it was well worth the effort

seeing that last Bass you caught was awesome

cant wait until we go again thinking about having a go tomorrow morning

Oh ....I think I owe you about $40.00 bucks worth of lures due to my Tarzan

impersinations I.E leving lures swinging from the trees

cheers

Coollamon

Edited by coollamon

How good is that guys :yahoo:

41cm is a dam fine fish for up there.... sensational stuff, well done.

Great to see the authorities on the water as well :thumbup: They should be there more often then there wouldn't be so many rat bags screaming around in the 8 knot zone. :ranting2:

Good work fellas - fine fish.

Cheers

David.

A great report on what read like a great day on the Napean.

Congrats on the PB bass.

Great to see the authorities patrolling our waterways like that.

Some nice piccies too..that early morning light really takes you there.

Good stuff. :thumbup::thumbup:

Pete.

Looks like a great little session this morning

well done on the 41cm

Had me ROFL with the tarzan comments

Good to see the cops and fisheries trying to keep the waterways safe

and stocks of fish around for years to come.

G'day All ,

As Stewy said , we all met up at the Ramp at 5AM , loaded our gear into the boat , and headed towards the narrows. The temp was about 22 degrees , with a solid overcast , and a bit humid. There were insects buzzing all over the place , and the river was alive with jumping fish !! It was almost like there was a predator chasing them there were so many.

Started just past the narrows , and with lots of good advice from Stewy , we started casting , Stewy and John in the pointy end of the boat , and myself down at the blunt end ! It was so peaceful on the river at that time , we basically had the river to ourselves , with the exception of some schoolgirls rowing teams , doing their early morning laps.

Stewy was first to strike , with a small model , this encouraged us no end , and John and I redoubled our efforts to catch the next one.

Didnt have to wait long , John was next , and judging by the bend in his rod , it was a good sized fish. Suddenly the early morning calm was broken by " Thats what I'm talkin about !" . :074: Stewys enthusiasm and happiness at Johns fish was infectious , great to see him land such a fine fish !

There were a few smaller captures , even I managed a small model . Looking at my watch , I was horrified to discover that we had nearly missed Coffee O'Clock !! So , dug into the bag of tricks , and made us all a cap. While everyone else was getting ready for work , or battling the traffic , you will be glad to know that the Admin and Mods of Fishraider were takin care of bidness , FR style !! It was absolutely perfect.

Alas , it had rto end soon after , as I had to work , but :05: !

Thanks to Stewy for taking us out this morning , and for all his great advice and humour!!

Ross

Top catch there fellas!

Sorry couldnt make it up there yesterday, had to pull up for work early in the morning.

Probably just as well though, with a head like mine those boys and girls in blue wouldve had a field day giving me fines. :biggrin2:

I saw a bass about that size smash my lure last time I went out in the Nepean, then I woke up in a cold sweat!

cheers :beersmile:

Blayne

P.S: Love the topic title!

Edited by blayne

The nerve of you people, Fishin while the rest of us are workin :mad3:

But seriously

Couple of first class Bass from the Nepean Fellas :thumbup:

Well done on the cherry poppin too, Sure does read like a top day on the water

Dan

Edited by OutdoorDan

Great report on a top little session. Good to see that the laws are being enforced to. I'm yet to see a fisheries inspector when fishing. The closest was a police officer who asked to see our crayfish/abalone catch when we were diving but as we were just having a sight -see and weren't taking anything it was a bit of a fizzer.

Cheers

Col.