Port Hacking (gunnamatta Baths) 19/1/07

Dolmo

Hi,

First time posting a report so bear with me.

Headed down to Gunnamatta Baths after work with not alot of anticipation but abit of hope.

Had 2 rods a

- 2500 nexave on a 7ft light weith rod with light line

- 4000 or 4500 (cant remember what the number is) shimano slade on a 3 piece 7ft i think aswell.

Bait:

- Fresh prawns

- Live Nippers

- Live Beach Worms

- Cintra (beer) for me and my mate

Weather:

- WINDY NE

- Hot

- incoming tide

threw the lines in around 7 with a few small bites, nothing exciting..a few squid pulling the the lines around to start with. Caught a few small snapper, dart. After about an hour or two pulled in a PB Bream which was around 300 to 500g...good for me who has never caught a bream of this size.

After another hour or two with not much action we caught a big blue swimmer crab and the girls had alot of bite off from porcupine puffers, not to mention the ones that stayed on...biggest being around the 3-4kg mark.

After 5 hours and only the one plate length bream and a blue swimer that I had brought in it was decided it was time to leave....i walked down the baths and cast my 3 piece with 10pnd line and a 15kg fine mono leader into the sandy shallows so that when walking past with rest of gear 30 or 40m away i could just wind it in and continue to car.

Had just thrown all my gear on and heard zzzzzzzzz so had to throw it all down and run and see what i had.

Not much of a fight but alot fo weight behind this one, heading towards shore and the pillars so had to bring him in close fast....ended up being another nice yellowfin bream...didnt want the line to snap so walked him 30m to beach and dragged him up...looked a good size so jumped down and grabbed him and realized it was much bigger than i had thought....roughly looking at it 3 or 4 times the size of my first.

Gutted it and left head on and took him home, threw him on the scales and it was a nice 1.8kg (without the guts!) so I would say it would have been a 2kg Yellow fin Bream....a new PB which i think will be hard for me to beat.

So it ended up being a good night, not alot of action but still a good night for myself

Hopefully I will be out alot more now and trying some more productive areas around the hacking day and night. Any info on areas please let me know!

I would also like the thank the gentleman there who helped with getting the crab up and giving me many pointers on what i was doing and i hope 1 or more of his 3 rods with 90pnd line went off later that night.

Thank you

Brad

Edited by Dolmo

Thank You for the welcome guys

I have always loved fishing and a a tackle box from my girlfriends parents for christmas started it off again after mine went missing a few years ago.

I have been out about 2 times a week since chrissy and I have had a fairly good run so far...3 or 4 nice whiting, 2 flounder, 2 bream, blue swimmer.

So i am fairly happy, I have learnt alot from Gabes mostly about target fishing rather than what i use to do by buying a small pack of prawns and going fishing for whatever...although it is fun!

My normal bag before now use to be alot of leatherjacket from turriel bay around from yowie of a family pontoon/boatshed...with a few nice bream around i hope to catch them now aswell and many other species such as jewies soon i hope!

Thank You for the welcome guys

I have always loved fishing and a a tackle box from my girlfriends parents for christmas started it off again after mine went missing a few years ago.

I have been out about 2 times a week since chrissy and I have had a fairly good run so far...3 or 4 nice whiting, 2 flounder, 2 bream, blue swimmer.

So i am fairly happy, I have learnt alot from Gabes mostly about target fishing rather than what i use to do by buying a small pack of prawns and going fishing for whatever...although it is fun!

My normal bag before now use to be alot of leatherjacket from turriel bay around from yowie of a family pontoon/boatshed...with a few nice bream around i hope to catch them now aswell and many other species such as jewies soon i hope!

Very informative thanks :) I'm planning to head down around there some time soon. :) Lots of help

Very informative thanks :) I'm planning to head down around there some time soon. :) Lots of help

I didnt measure it as i didnt have a measure with me when i caught it and didnt look for one when i got home at around 1am....i will measure it tonight and let you know.....i would say around 40 - 45+cm very stocky fish compared to alot i have seen caught by other anglers.

Its easily 40cm

Edited by Dolmo

I am going to go down lili pilli baths early one morning and try and pick some kingies up hopefully..otherwise i will just go for whiting, bream and flatties....havnt caught a flatty in a very long time although i havnt really tried...last one was a 3ft monster that i didnt mean to catch one morning while eating brecky on the water in turriel bay.

possibly some night fishing for a jew or similar with some live baits land based off pontoon in the next couple of nights also