Spots On The Georges

Simonator

HI everyone!

Brand new member here, can't wait to read a bit more and possibly get to know a few locals.

Only just moved up to Sydney for work and coincidentally have takne up fishing after a long break.

I live in Illawong, about 50 feet from the river and would be grateful if anyone could drop me a few hints regarding good spots for a land based fisherman to have a decent outing on the river.

Thanks in advance and hope to hear from you soon.

Cheers

Simon

Thanks mate, glad to be here.

Trust me I am going to have ashot this week and if I dredge anything up I'll be letting everyone know. It's been about 20 years since I fished properly.

Simon

I'd reply but I havent had too much luck on the georges myself in a long time, sorry mate. Im sure some others might help ya though

You will catch fish right on your doorstep at Illawong. You you usually see people casting a line from a rocky point just next to the old ferry ramp (opposite from the resturant at Lurgano). The idea is to cast well out into the main channel. The main target is bream, but you will also get flathead, whiting, tailor and even jewfish if your lucky. Mid week is best when there is less boat traffic. There are some rocks you can cast out from a bit further downstream. These are reached by walking down from the carpark near the kids playground. You can also catch blackfish off these rocks in winter.

PS the little black crabs around these rocks are the gun bait for big bream.

You will catch fish right on your doorstep at Illawong. You you usually see people casting a line from a rocky point just next to the old ferry ramp (opposite from the resturant at Lurgano). The idea is to cast well out into the main channel. The main target is bream, but you will also get flathead, whiting, tailor and even jewfish if your lucky. Mid week is best when there is less boat traffic. There are some rocks you can cast out from a bit further downstream. These are reached by walking down from the carpark near the kids playground. You can also catch blackfish off these rocks in winter.

PS the little black crabs around these rocks are the gun bait for big bream.

Thanks for that. I went out last night just as the tide changed and was casting soft plastics (3in power minnows) from the beach down by the mangroves and moving up past the boatramp but I don't think I was casting far enough what with the light weight of the jig heads I have.

I did get one really good hit but the leader pulled off the swivel, guess my knot gave up the ghost.

I am going out today and am considering using my larger rod and a different rig to try and cast further out. Any suggestions?

I noticed those crabs but was determined to give the soft plastics a fair run, I may just have to grab a dew crabs and go from there.

Luckily I am only 50 mts from the ramp so it's a nice short walk.

Cheers

Simon

Simonator

If your want to cats placcies around try under the Alfords point bridge, there is a sandy beach that goes about a km to right opposite Revesby beach. I've scored some great flatties on plastics along there as well as bream,taylor and flounder.

Fish the last of the incoming and start of the outgoing tides.

Goodluck and :1welcomeani: to fishraider

Edited by robthefisherman

Simonator

If your want to cats placcies around try under the Alfords point bridge, there is a sandy beach that goes about a km to right opposite Revesby beach. I've scored some great flatties on plastics along there as well as bream,taylor and flounder.

Fish the last of the incoming and start of the outgoing tides.

Goodluck and :1welcomeani: to fishraider

Thats a new one, if the water was a bit cleaner I might try out there. I compared the water in Tom Ugly's Georges River to that of Lilli Pilli today and man its a big difference.