Rescue Swansea Way

SUFFO

My mate told me today he went fishing up Swansea way off the rocks, where other fishos were too.A guy went to fill his bucket with water and got washed in.He ran off to grab the ring and his brother rang the police.When he got back he gave the ring to the fisho with the washed in man and he threw it out to him.Apparently he could not swim or his mate.After about ten minutes the rescue helicopter rocked up drop the recuer who took him about 100m from the rocks then the retrival started.

Hopefully not only the gentlemen involved but my mate as well learnt something today on how deadly the sea can be.As they also had no safety gear.(I had a shot at my mate also)

Why dont the fisheries make land base fishing make it compulsary for them to have basic safety requirements just like boating???

I saw another post about a similar situation with a recommended basic kit and thought how good it was.I personally do not fish like this as I love going out in the boat as much as possible,but I always ensure I have ALL RECOMMENDED SAFETY GEAR and some.

These people need to think of others such as thier families.Nobody plans on going in just ask the survivors as unfortunitly you can NOT ask those who have not.

A once of purchase for safety gear of a couple of hundred tops could save your mate or your own life.Go halves even.

Nobody likes hearing of something so tragic for a few bucks!!Your combo probally cost more!

Take Care always guys even when we are in our boats

Cheers

Suffo.

P.S.Glad the guys OK.

Thats why i won't fish the rocks. there is no doubt it is really productive, but it seems to me that even the guys that know what they are doing get in trouble.

Davo

Guest Aussie007

by the sounds of it the guys who fell in the drink were just clowns im assuming it was the rocks on the other side of the channel to the coast guard tower? why not just use the beach or boat ramp to fill the bucket if it was the rocks where the coast guard is just use one of the pools left behind from the tide how much common sense does it take to think of this? :wacko: people like this wont learn they'll do it again maybe take ur mate to the swansea RSL club when they have the shark catching comps on im sure he'll pull his head in quick smart about falling into that water again :074: theres a scale on the walf where they weigh the huge sharks

Ive grew up fishing the stones up the mid nth coast and since i have moved to sydney i just dont

feel comfortable with most of stuctures that ive seen , either the spots are accessable only by

rope or the fishing platform is at water level or its just to shallow, The ocean is like your mother

either show some respect, otherwise you will be dealt with accordingly. :o

I always thought it was completely stupid to go fishing off the rocks in some areas, especially when you can see the water splashing up and with one big hit, bang, you could be in it too. Guess some people are just too daring and are willing to put fishing over safety and their own lives in some cases. :(

its mother natures way of removing stupid people from the gene pool.me and my mates fish lbg for 15 years and had a few rules if your feet could get wet dont fish ;if you cant swim dont fish and if 1 of you cant keep your eyes on the water at all times dont fish .kept all of us guy alive . glad to hear those guys made it out. i dont think we need more rules (god know we have enough) maybe just need more good mates !!!!

Edited by stickfacewrangler