Dollies Should Start Arriving

netic

Hey guys thought i would post up the latest sea temp chart.

It shows a good patch of 22-24 degree water about 10kms offshore from Sydney Heads down past botany heads.

The Botany Fads especially the wide one will have dollies and the Sydney Waverider off Dee Why is sitting in 22.5 degree water now, up from 18.5 last week.

The port Jackson fad is still sitting in 18 degrees unfortunately

Thats taken off seasurface.com.au...its one of the subscription sites that you gotta pay for

Thats image is at 4.30am this morning so it is pretty current...

Edited by netic

Hi Netic,

thats sounding very promising, does the site give an indication of current direction or speed? we have been out to the wide fad twice this year and found the correct temp but the current was running too hard for the dollies to be able to hold on the FAD.

Cheers

Sammy

Hi Netic,

thats sounding very promising, does the site give an indication of current direction or speed? we have been out to the wide fad twice this year and found the correct temp but the current was running too hard for the dollies to be able to hold on the FAD.

Cheers

Sammy

DOnt know Sammy...will have to check, i just joined and i am still fiddling with it to learn how to use it right.

Will check and let you know

Hi,

Is the Botany Bay (BB) Wide FAD new? I have only ever known of the East SYD FAD, approx 10km out from BB heads....

Is the Wider FAD better to fish?

What is the distance to it from BB heads?

Does anyone have the co-ordinates?

Thanx,

Choteo

Hi,

Is the Botany Bay (BB) Wide FAD new? I have only ever known of the East SYD FAD, approx 10km out from BB heads....

Thanx,

Choteo

Mate co-ordinates are on the fisheries website....its about 16kms from botany heads and abour 20kms from sydney heads

Hi,

Thanx,

Choteo

BB Wide is approx 17km from botany heads in about 130m of water... tends to hold the dollies for much longer, or at least in better size and numbers

co-ordinates are available from the Fisheries website

Edited by Sammy0884

Does anyone understand why this is occurring? I've read several reports that speculate it is the result of sustained northerly winds, but for the life of me I don't understand how this could lead to cold water holding next to the shore?

Can anyone explain in layman's terms?

Looking at that pic I'd say that the FADs off Sydney may be up in temp but Broken Bay and Terrigal are still a bit cold. Other Sea Surface Temp maps show a severe strip of cold water extendind right up the coast to around Cresent Heads (sp). The strip is today noticably narrower around Sydney and certainly within small craft distance if the sea is kind. BB FAD 2 weeks ago had water at 20 C when only 17 in at Box Head and only produced one small dollie.

To the fellow who wants to know about it in lamens terms. Somehow the NEaster blows the warm water off the top and it's replaced by the horrible grey green (but nutrient rich) water from deep down.

Other noticable difference is the current direction. 2 weeks ago was 1.5 kn from the North. Now there is a big swirl giving south to north current in close. Wondered how long till someone didn't like a subscribed image on-line. Obviously not long.

:biggrin2:

why u put chart on web for? i am going to change the pass word

:1badmood:

Mate, he might have put your chart on line for everyone to see, but given the fact that over 700 people have seen it, how many follow-ups could that bring to the web-site???

Definately got me looking.

At this point in time i'd be talking to the swordies and questioning a bit of advertising space. :biggrin2:

this cold water in close is caused by something called The Coriolis effect

winds in the southern hemisphere push surface water to the left and in the northern hemesphere winds push surface water to the right. Therefor when we get consistent NE winds all the warm suface water is pushed out to the left (aka out to sea) and the cold water is forced up from the deep to replace it.

we need a good southerly to warm it back up!