Botany Bay Fad 25/1/07

njsconst

Well put the boat in at 6am with DEANO35 and headed over to Yarra Bay to try and get some livies. Arrived to see Fishabout Tours and WHITECAPS there already with the same idea. Tried for about 30mins and didn't see a yakka or slimmie. The water was a horrible green colour, really dirty. Headed over to the southern side of Botany Bay heads and burlied hard again. To no avail, ended up with no live bait and had wasted an hour of prime fishing time.

With that in mind decide to head east to the FAD. The wind was already blowing a stiff 15knots and it was only 7.30am. The seas were every bit of the 1.5m that they predicted. As was motored through the heads we found the seas very sloppy indeed, but were able to maintain a steady pace of about 24-26kph.

Arrived at the FAD and we had it all to ourself. We tried everything, pillies, lures, squidgys for no even a touch. Oh well thats fishing.

As you can see from the photo below water temp was only 21.4 degrees. We heard some chatter on the VHF saying that the wider FAD was holding in 23 degree water temp, but didn't hear if the dollies were there either.

Due to the sloppy conditions we headed back towards the Kurnell Lighthouse and drifted for some flatties and snapper. The wind was to strong and it was difficult to stay on the bottom in the 50m of water unless you had a house brick! Decided to call it a day and try again later.

As they say your worst day fishing is better then your best day at work!!!!

post-2204-1169699894_thumb.jpg post-2204-1169700833_thumb.jpg

Your description is the same as my trip to Broken Bay FAD 2 weeks ago. Dirty water in close. No livies for a best part of an hour. Out to the FAD anyhow for little result, although I was a few miles further north. Dollies are proving difficult this year with the green water hanging around. Still as you say it's good to be out there.

I'll be out tomorrow, apparently there are a few fish being taken from some private fads towards Terrigal.

I think (know) these FADS are placed at about 5km intervals due East of the Terrigal FAD. There are, or were recently, 4 which takes you out about 40 kms which is a long way. They're dropped by the underwateros every year and they do produce the goods with good Dollies, and Cobia and Kings occasionally.

Guest Big-Banana

How big is ur boat? want too see if we can et 2 the fad

7m, might be a bit rough in the afternoon so be careful if you've got a smaller boat.

BTW there a a sh*tload of small traps all wide of Broken Bay/Terrigal. On a good day they go for miles and 9/10 produce bigger and more fish than the FAD.

How big is ur boat? want too see if we can et 2 the fad

Mate my boat is 5.5m Seafarer (115hp) and I go just about everywhere in it. I carry 130 litres of fuel everytime I head outside just in case I get caught in some nasty weather.

What sort of boat have you got?

The trick is to pick your days and watch the weather carefully. I take mine to the FADS all over Sydney and the one off Port Stephens which is 22.5kms out. I've been out to Browns Mountain a couple of times.

I always check the weather and listen on the VHF for any upgrades or wind warnings.

I have a motto, go fishing when the weather is right....Not when you have a free day. If the weather is good drop everything and go fishing. You can go to work any other day! :1prop:

Mate I would say if you want to hit thre FADS, is talk to the guys/girls on fishraider. We are only more then happy to team up and go out together until you get comfortable with your boats capabilities.

I would say for you to start with the close fad off Botany Bay which is the closest at only 9.5kms. On a good day you can be there in 15 minutes. You still get good fish there when bloody water temp warms up! :1badmood: The good thing about this FAD from a safety point of view is that you still have mobile phone reception. But any of the others you loose it pretty quickly. This is why I carry a VHF radio, you get clear coverage when you are very wide. It is good insurance for a little over $300.

When you are thinking of heading out next, just put a post in the "fishing trips" section and you'll be amazed at the amount of fishraiders that are only more then happy to team up with you.

Good luck!

Nathan