Modifying F/glass Hulls

Mik

Hey Raiders

I see alot of people doing mods to their boats here & was wondering if something like the pics is a stupid pursuit or is it possible?

Basically I would like to convert my 4.4 mtr Sundance Classic 1/2 cabin to an open boat, move controls & steering forward about 750mm and replace motor with possibly a 75Hp. Currently the motor is u/s (Seized, haven't had the time to strip & see if its repairable but it is very old, 20yrs plus, as is the hull) It was an ok boat for general boating with family but not much good for fishing (Limited room & no access to bow unless you could balance VERY well & wern't afraid of getting wet occassionaly.

Here a b4 & after pic of what I had in mind. Has anyone attempted this or seen it done b4. Any advice would be appreciated.

I would dearly love to buy myself a new Quintrex (Something around 6m or just under would be nice) Ol' Fanta Pants is just going to waist here & I don't know if this is a boat worth doing up or should I just save my $$ & get something closer to what I want until I can afford new.

post-3284-1169883725_thumb.jpg

post-3284-1169883737_thumb.jpg

Any help / advice greatly appreciated. :beersmile:

Edited by Boofhead

Doesn't the cabin add strenght to the hull??

do you know much about the boat - did they manufacturer build an open style boat with the same hull/mould?

Looks like a lot of work, if the hull can handle getting it's roof chopped off and if you can handle feeling itchy the go for it

Aron, found this on a search recently. Looks like same hull to me?

Not sure what I'd need to do about strengthening if cabin was removed thou.

gongfisho, thanks for the support, nothing like enthusiasm to send ya broke :074: (Just kiddin')

post-3284-1169945866_thumb.jpg

Edited by Boofhead

Aron, found this on a search recently. Looks like same hull to me?

Not sure what I'd need to do about strengthening if cabin was removed thou.

gongfisho, thanks for the support, nothing like enthusiasm to send ya broke :074: (Just kiddin')

I think a guide up on the cape does this very type of conversion, and from the pics ive seen they look good. I have never seen them in the flesh but i would think someone would have more info on them and how he went about doing it. Good luck.

It looks like a bigger job than it is........power saw to remove the top - add a side console and fibreglass a decking platform in the front section to support/strenghten the hull......tidy up the gunnells and add a electric motor and your set......

I think GRANTM recently redid his fibreglass boat - im sure i have seen photos of his resto - pm him for advice.

Idea's like these are hard to get out of your head, i remember with i was 17 with my first car - datsun 180B station wagon - i wanted to weld the back doors up and drop a V6 in (V6 back then were rare)----never did anything about it - i wish I had

Hey, Boof, this is definately do-able. Can you get a pic of the boat looking from the back toward the cabin so we can ascertain the width of the gunwhales ( side decks). If you have a width of about 100mm then you should have enough strength when you cut the top off, but retaining the existing side decks and front deck.

I have seen an article somewhere about a guy who did exactly what you are thinking because he couldn't find a f/glass centre console for sale,but I can't remember where -couldv'e been modern boating or something like that. You may have to look at the ways of finishing off the areas modified, but anything is possible with careful thought and a bit of basic engineering knowledge. Try and draw a plan looking from above of your idea of the finished product. I would try to retain a part of the cabin sides(low) to add some stiffness. You also need to be sure of the condition of your existing FLOOR, as this is an important strengthening part of a glass boats construction, as well as your transom. This is something I wouldn't mind doing myself - I,m thinking about buying an old glass half cab just for the exercise.

( No Stewy, I'm not carving up my tinnie!!)

Let me know if I can be of further help.

Tuffy ( Russ)

Thanks for the advice guys. I am starting to get a little excited about this! :yahoo:

I am realistic enough to know it will take some time (mainly due to work commitments) but I seriously think I'm capable of this, I am a fitter / machinist by trade (abeit average one LOL) and have done some very small basic fibreglass projects in the past. So I think I'll do some thourough planning & set aside some time to aim for October completion date. Gives me some time to save for a new motor. Reminds me, gotta hide that big 'ol money box from the :wife: heheheh!

Any ideas on motor size this modified hull might handle? I can't seem to find the original specs anywhere.

Transom & gunwhales look to be ok (IE Transom in good nik with no cracks, gunwales about 110mm across top & about the same skirt depth from top of gunwhales to inside. Overall the boat seems in pretty good condition considering its age. The one thing I can't acertain is the timber condition. Is there a way to check this easliy. I was seriously thinking of cutting a hole in the floor to have a good look. I haven't decided on centre or side console yet (leaning toward centre - pun intended) but when I do I figure some additional floor work may be required & therefore a hole in the floor won't be an issue as I can mould something over it like a console base or if it were at the transom end I could look at some live bait boxes / storage.

Geeeze, look at that, I'm getting a plan already & I haven't even started :1yikes:

Oh, yeah, I do have some other pics. (Scuse the mess, bl***y cleaning lady ain't allowed in the shed LOL)

post-3284-1170051359_thumb.jpg

post-3284-1170051387_thumb.jpg

post-3284-1170051406_thumb.jpg

post-3284-1170051419_thumb.jpg

Boof, that's a pretty sound looking hull for it's age. I noticed you are in Orange - so has this old girl only seen fresh water? Judging by the colour of the glass, it doesn't appear to have been left out in the weather for extended periods.

Re your motor, I don't think you need to go any more than what youv'e got, size wise. If she performs ok now with that 55 you'll have less weight when the top comes off, probably about 30 - 50 kgs less, so I reckon a later model 40 or 50 would be the go.

With the right plan, that could turn into a very smart open boat.

Tuffy

Tuffy, the boat has been in salt many years ago at Batemans & Yamba, but I'm pretty sure I can count the total salt hours on one hand. It was garaged for almost 15 years, about 3 years with a cover (Now gone in the bin) and very little use over the entire 18 or so years its been with us (Dad bought it new when I was about 12 - 14 years & now I'm almost 40... :1prop: almost!)

We were trying to sell it for about 3 years (Only half hearted attempt) then when Dad died in Feb 05 I seriously looked at selling it but eventually I had a weekend just before easter 06 where my bother in-law & his wife (Read my :wife: sister) were coming up from Sydney & we were looking for things to do, we went out to Lake Burrendong for a capt'ns & I suddenly realise I had a great weekend ahead for Easter if I just got the boat back up to operational level. So since then we have had her out for a total of 2 weekends then the motor died.

During the build up to getting her ship shape I had the motor thouroughly checked out & the mechanic told me he couldn't get the leg off to check the drive. After about 1/2 day & some heat he managed to get it off but I strongly suspect that something was amiss with the whole repair & hence we ended up stranded in the middle of Burrendong on our second weekend out (Almost threw the aux motor overboard when it wouldn't fire either!) :074::05:

She's not a bad little ship & was great for the time it lasted but I am now fishing loads now (Albeit land based...boo ho) which ironically is because the boat gave me re-newed enthusiasm. So of course eventually I want a boat thats going to do alot more than even the modified version of this will. Family & fishin' all in one. In the meantime I figured this could be something that would satiate my burning desire to get off the bank & out where the real fish are! Plus it's the best way to ensure the people I make cement shoes for go all the way to the bottom! :074: (Very embarrassing when you throw 'em in from the shore & they stand there ankle deep just laughin')

BH (Mik)

• 2 weeks later...

Whoo!

Hold the bus...I mean boat!

:yahoo:

Just had some fantastic news today. My motor is very salvagable. Seems its picked up a piston but not damaged the bore. I was convinced the gearbox / drive shaft was gone after the terrible noises we heard on the last outing. She basically seized, but it locked up so quickly & I didn't try kicking it over more that twice for a few seconds. So I basically saved the bore & my motor will be re-built within 2 weeks!

I've been so low about this for ages & now I'm like a pup with 6 tails. Bought a new / 16 hrs old Evinrude 8hp backup/trolling motor for it already :biggrin2: (Last backup (3hp) wouldn't start when the Sh%t hit the fan on the 55hp so its going & new 8hp will have its very own tilt bracket & steering arm link!)

Plans for cutting roof off are now on hold until I get some thrills back after suffering boatless for 3 months. Maybe look at doing this mod next year.

It took this long for me to find a reputible mechanic (Semi-Retired) in our area. The last bloke that worked on it was out of a job when the shop went broke about 3 weeks after he serviced my motor originally! (Say no more huh!)

I'm so excited I feel like I'm buying a new boat :074::074::074:

Look out Hawkesbury & Raiders, here I come. Hope to make a voyage down there during Easter :thumbup:

I'll be easy to spot, Look for a Boofhead with a Sh*t eatin' grin at the helm hehehe! (Might pay to just wave & give a wide birth, I am from the country ya know :1prop: )

Check this site out

http://www.seamedia.com.au/pdf/previews/RFBDIY6_prev.pdf

guy went from this

post-2971-1171114766_thumb.jpg

to this

post-2971-1171114795_thumb.jpg

So anythings possible :)

I've replaced my boats entire floor, repaired transoms, painted boats and motors.

I learnt all I know about fibreglass and painting just from reading books and from the

internet. Once you understand the basics its just fun and hardwork.

With some many boat forums on the internet, no matter what crazy idea I've thought up

I can always find someone thats already done it.

Jason