Squid

Guest dicko1

hi guys

i was just reading somewhere that squid do not live for very long in an aerated bucket. I was hoping to catch my squid on land the night before and then go out in my boat the next morning... they would only be in there for a couple of hours, does anyone have any experience doing this??

Guest IFishSick.

Mate they'll last 5 minutes in a bucket with the aerater. They need a constant supply of fresh water. The only way you'll keep em going is if you every couple of minutes throw a fresh bucket of water through them.

i think you will be ok - if not use them for fresh strip bait (2nd best thing)

Just have a spare bucket of water and transfer halfway through the keep.

I caught 9 squid this morning - put in the live bait tank on the boat - one got sucked out the drain blocking the tank - could not run pump as water would over flow into boat......i did change water now and again (once a hour) unused squid still alive when fishing session finished.

Now im too bloody tied to go and pull the drain hose apart to clear out the blocked squid - will have to wait till tomorrow....

GIVE IT A GO

Edited by Aron

How big is ur drain in your tank?

Or how small was the squid?

Drain is 32mm

Squid were between 5 & 7 inches long (palm size)

I got 2 bait tanks that use the same drain - the smaller tank drain is clear - meaning the blockage is between the outlet in the large tank and the T connector in the drainage hose.

Not 100% sure that the squid got sucked in there as I have not yet pulled it apart - but I do know something is blocking it - it was working fine for most the morning.......

I spent Friday working on the tank, put in a new pump as the Johnson pump impeller shaft snapped - also added a pickup so water will circulate when under power.......problem is the water pressure from the pickup is so great that I believe the squid managed to get sucked out the drain - will be adding a tap to the pickup hose and some type of mesh over the drain to prevent a reoccurrence.

In one of my previous posts i mentioned keeping a squid alive in an esky for 21 hours. Although it was a very small squid, i think the same rules apply for the larger ones. If your really keen on keeping them alive, place one to two smaller squid in an esky, and they should be fine for the few hours. (only problem is you may need up to 5 eskys depending on how many squid you get) Also i had no aerator in the esky at the time, so im thinking that an aerator can only lengthen the life of the squid.

Alternatively just strip them up, thats what i do and i never fail to catch em!

DAN