More Blackies!

arpie

Hi guys

The better half went for a run on Nine Mile this morning, so I tagged along for a fish .... surprise, surprise! It was coming up to high tide & the water was crystal clear. Most frustrating, you could see all the fish as clear as day, just not catch them!

Then a big school slipped around the corner & I shortened the float & threw it in - one thumped it! Nice fish - 41cm, weighing 1 3/4lb (whatever that is in thingies!) It actually broke the point off the hook! Caught a few throwbacks, then went home for breakfast.

Got fidgety at about 11am - glorious day out there - not hot & windy like yesterday - so I went to the FOrster Breakwall & had a go. Nothing to start off with, then went back past the Coastal Patrol & got hit by a really big fish. Could have been bigger than the 41cm one this morning. People who were watching were amazed at how big it was when it jumped out of the water! Someone was about to give me a hand landing it, when the bl...dy thing ducked under an oyster covered rock & busted me off! Ne'er mind - plenty more fish in the sea ....

Then I caught 2 fish on the 2 hooks I had on! Now, landing both of them was getting really tricky, so a young man came down & got the 2nd one in as well. Turns out he had been visiting last year & had used my spare rod for a fish & caught me 2 fish! Very nice of him! He also showed me how to use the loop method to keep your weed on better! Been using it ever since! Tho the 2nd fish was 30cm, I put them all back. This afternoon, I was just fishing for fun!

A gentleman who was watching came up & said ....are you Roberta?? I said 'Yes, who are you??' He is Geoff's (tafc010) mate, Geoff! They arrived yesterday & had been out on the boat this morning. Both Geoffs plan on giving the blackies a go tomorrow morning, so I shall go down & hopefully meet up with Tafc101!! Geoff II is a keen blackie exponent - hoping to sign him up for the Blackie Social in June!

Noel, an 80+ local, is keen to help out in the social & I hope he will also sign up with Fishraider & join in! Towards the end of last year, he caught a 49cm blackie! Now that really is a thumper!! Anyone worried about fishing the rocks here - Noel does it all the time!! He just takes his time getting there!

Tight Lines

Cheerio

Roberta

Well done Roberta, and bad luck on the bust off, seems that more raiders are enjoying the benifits of Forster/Tuncurry............

Woohoo Roberta..They are getting bigger by the day.

The Blackie Social is looking like it will be a bumper haul of Luderick.

Shame about the big bustoff, but at least your were philosophical about it.

Excellent that you may have recruited a blackie legend for the social too.

Come on June!!

Cheers,

Pete.

Hi guys

Met up with the two Geoffs this morning down on the Forster Breakwall - it was topping high tide again but running a bit fast for their gear - pencil floats are a bit small for our wall - you really do need a big float (more like what is recommended for off the rocks.) I ended up staying down the sea end & caught one nice 35cm (dropped one just as nice!) whilst they fished the other side of the Coastal Patrol (where I caught so many yesterday) but I still prefer the runout tide for Forster side. The water was crystal clear again todayl. In the runout tide, the water gets a bit dirty & is much better for catching!

We fished together for a while - Tafc010 hasn't caught any yet, but hopefully we'll remedy that shortly - sometimes the 'number of fish kept' to 'hours fished' ratio is a bit lopsided - but that is fishing! Whether from the land or in a boat, I find it is just such a great experience each time I go out. I meet up with different folk every time I fish & speak with people from all over the world who are visiting here. An English girl was watching me for quite a while - and actually said she was 'mesmirised' at the way I just flicked the float each time I cast. She reckons I made it look so easy & not tiring at all!

Forgot to say yesterday morning when I fished, I actually got a big snag & thought I'd lose the float in the out tide when a bloke from the swimming area came over to try & at least retrieve the float ....... as I waited for him to come over, I could feel a tap, tap, tap on the 2nd hook that I had on! Then, whack! He was on too!! So the float was snagged, my rod was bent double & he was going nowhere but then managed to use the drag from the snag to pull the hook! I couldn't believe it! It may start a whole new method of blackfishing - put a heavy sinker on the bottom & have a paternoster type rig above with one, two or three hooks & wait for the fish to come to you! No reason why it wouldn't work - bet the 'grumps' wouldn't be impressed!

Cheerio for now

Roberta

Will be catching up with more legends over the next few weeks as they come out of the woodwork - I had mentioned Fishraider to them in passing at the end of last year, but will now be talking to them in earnest!! Get them to join up, then sign up for the Social!